Admirals Win 3-2 in OT vs. Lake Erie
Cleveland, OH-- Goalie Marek Mazanec stopped 35 shots and the Admirals penalty killers thwarted a five-minute power play at the end of regulation to lead the Milwaukee Admirals to a 3-2 overtime win over the Lake Erie Monsters Wednesday night.
Admirals forward Viktor Arvidsson was assessed a five-minute major and a game misconduct for charging into Lake Erie goalie Calvin Pickard with 4:25 remaining in the third period when the game was tied at two. The Admirals were able to kill that penalty and score the game-winner soon after the penalty expired in overtime
Milwaukee forward Kevin Fiala served the five-minute penalty for Arvidsson. He came out of the penalty box with 6:25 remaining in overtime, just as the Admirals gained possession of the puck in its defensive zone. Colton Sissons skated through the neutral zone and passed to Fiala on the left wing. Fiala skated to the left circle, delayed, then fired a shot past Monsters goalie Calvin Pickard to give the Admirals the win. The goal, scored at :48 of overtime, was assisted by Sissons and Mark Van Guilder.
The win snapped a six-game losing skid for the Admirals.
The Monsters scored the first goal of the game with just 8.8 seconds remaining in the first period. Michael Schumacher's shot from the left circle was stopped by Mazanec but Trevor Cheek crashed the net and tapped the rebound across the goal line for his sixth goal of the season.
Lake Erie took a 2-0 lead at 7:39 of the second period. Reid Petryk was the beneficiary of an Admirals turnover and fired a wrist shot from the high slot that found the back of the net.
Mazanec stopped 19 of 20 shots in the second period.
The Admirals got on the board at 2:07 of the third period. Van Guilder attempted a wraparound from behind the Monsters net. Goalie Pickard got a piece of it but the puck ended up atop the crease for Triston Grant to slam into the net. The goal was Grant's 12th of the season, tying a career high. Van Guilder and Rich Clune recorded the assists.
The Admirals tied the game when Pickard had a Joe Piskula shot from the left point bounce off him into the slot. Admirals forward Gary Steffes slapped the rebound into the net for his third goal of the season. Piskula and Zach Budish notched the assists.
Milwaukee returns to the BMO Harris Bradley Center to host Texas Fri., Apr. 3 at 7pm.
Fans can purchase tickets for any Admirals game by calling Ticketmaster at (800) 745-3000 or online at www.milwaukeeadmirals.com. Groups of ten or more receive a minimum of $2 off the face value of the tickets. For more information or to book a group fans should call the Admirals office at (414) 227-0550.â¨â¨ Don't forget to follow the Admirals on Twitter (@mkeadmirals) and on Facebook.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from April 1, 2015
- Stars Offense Blows out Flames in 7-4 Win - Texas Stars
- Griffins' Magic Number at Two After 6-1 Roasting of 'Hogs - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Comets Clinch 2015 Calder Cup Playoff Spot - Utica Comets
- Senators Snatch 3-2 OT Win, Delay Crunch Clinching Playoff Spot - Syracuse Crunch
- Admirals Win 3-2 in OT vs. Lake Erie - Milwaukee Admirals
- Phantoms Stay Undefeated against Norfolk - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Uher, Dumoulin Lead Penguins Past Wolf Pack - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Admirals Drop Fifth Straight to Phantoms, 3-2 - Norfolk Admirals
- Sharks Kick off Road Trip with 6th Straight Win in 3-2 Shootout Victory - Worcester Sharks
- Pack Can't Hold off Pens - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Toronto Marlies Post Game Notes - Toronto Marlies
- Eighth Straight Win Vaults Comets to West's Top Spot - Utica Comets
- Monsters Fall to Admirals 3-2 in OT - Cleveland Monsters
- Albany Devils Winning Streak Ends - Albany Devils
- Sharks Come Back, Defeat Bears in Shootout - Hershey Bears
- Wideman's OT Strike Lifts B-Sens Past Crunch - Binghamton Senators
- Wolves Push Winning Streak to Six - Chicago Wolves
- Mersch Stays Hot in 2-1 Win over Devils - Manchester Monarchs
- Rampage to Host Face off against Kids Cancer Night on Saturday - San Antonio Rampage
- Syracuse Crunch Weekly - Syracuse Crunch
- Wolf Pack Sign Defenseman Brady Skjei to ATO - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Rampage Recall Tony Turgeon from Allen - San Antonio Rampage
- Bulldogs Foundation Donates over $12,000 to Juravinski Cancer Centre - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Florida Panthers Agree to Terms with D Michael Matheson - San Antonio Rampage
- Wolves Playoff Tickets on Sale at 11 a.m. Friday - Chicago Wolves
- Sound Tigers fall on Spring Fun 102 Day - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Penguins Reassign Dea to Wheeling - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- B-Sens to Host 1st Annual Career Fair - Binghamton Senators
- Falcons Comeback to Down Sound Tigers, 2-1 - Springfield Falcons
- Agozzino Named CCM/AHL Player of the Month - Cleveland Monsters
- Murray Earns Second Straight CCM/AHL Goaltender of the Month Honors - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Friday Is Deadline for Priority Access for Season Tickets - St. John's IceCaps
- Agozzino, Mersch, Murray Named American Hockey League Award Winners - AHL
- Rattie Recalled from Wolves - Chicago Wolves
- Lightning Sign Matthew Peca to Two-Year Contract - Syracuse Crunch
- Beach and Chelios Head to ECHL - Chicago Wolves
- Predators Reassign Arvidsson to Milwaukee - Milwaukee Admirals
- Checkers, CRVA to Hold Open Skate at Bojangles' Coliseum - Charlotte Checkers
- April Is IceCaps Fan Appreciation Month - St. John's IceCaps
- Admirals to Build New Hockey Arena - Milwaukee Admirals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.