Minnesota United at Austin FC Preview
GOLDEN VALLEY, Minn. - Minnesota United travels back to Texas for a midweek Western Conference matchup with Austin FC. The visiting Real Salt Lake struck first on the weekend only to have man-in-form Bongokuhle Hlongwane force a deflected shot into the RSL net, evening the scoreline at 1-1. The Loons failed to muster a game-winner and settled for split points once again at home. Austin dropped points on the weekend against an in-form Houston Dynamo side - one the Loons know all too well - and will hope to get back to winning ways at home, where, like MNUFC they have underperformed, settling for just two wins on the season at Q2 stadium. With the final matchday in May, Minnesota will look to head into a less busy June with a win and continue to climb the Western Conference standings.
ADRIAN HEATH ON WHAT HE SEES AUSTIN FC TO BE...
"They've changed quite a lot; they've changed the shape of the team, they're changing their personnel a lot. The fact that [Sebastian] Driussi has been injured - I think he's got two goals. This time last year he probably got 14 or something. It makes a huge difference when your better players aren't in the team. Gyasi [Zardes] has come in and got a few goals of late for his 100th league goal at the weekend. They're good at home. I think the word that you would use is probably 'inconsistent' this year, and they've been inconsistent with a lot of things, not only in their results but their team selection."
WIL TRAPP ON PLAYING IN A TOUGH ATMOSHPHERE AT Q2 STADIUM IN AUSTIN...
"Fortunately, we've played in some 'hostile' environments already: You think about St. Louis [CITY SC], you think about going to Portland [Timbers] last week, and, winning the games. Those are moments where I think our group has done a really good job of rising to the occasion of what the crowd is bringing. I think it's a rallying call for us to dig in deeper. We know Q2 [Stadium] is a place where fans do an amazing job of supporting their group, but it's not something we overthink."
STORYLINES PRESENTED BY BMW
Storylines is so happy to see an old friend tomorrow, though sad to see him in green and black. It's always nice to see a fellow Minnesotan living their best life, and Duluth native Ethan Finlay is doing just that.
After 11 years in Major League Soccer, Finlay has certainly left his mark. He became just the sixth active player to reach the 50 goals and 50 assists threshold a few weeks ago, picking up goal contributions with three different teams: the Columbus Crew, right here at Minnesota United, and most recently down in Austin.
B. Dibassy - Thigh
R. Jiba - Knee
R. Lod - Knee
M. Marques - Shoulder
MINNESOTA UNITED FC @ AUSTIN FC
Q2 STADIUM | AUSTIN, TEXAS
05.31.23 | MLS Regular Season | MLS Matchday 16
7:30 P.M. (Apple TV MLS Season Pass; MNUFC Radio on 1500 ESPN)
MIN: 5-5-4 (4-4-0 on the road)
ATX: 4-6-4 (2-2-3 at home)
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from May 30, 2023
- Minnesota United at Austin FC Preview - Minnesota United FC
- Sporting KC Hosts FC Dallas on Wednesday - Sporting Kansas City
- LA Galaxy Parts Ways with President Chris Klein - LA Galaxy
- Colorado Rapids Call up Two Players on Short-Term Agreements - Colorado Rapids
- Sounders FC Announces Special Event Details Surrounding Saturday's Exciting Doubleheader Experience - Seattle Sounders FC
- MLS Disciplinary Committee Decisions Announced - MLS
- U.S. Men's National Team to Host High-Profile Friendly against Ghana at GEODIS Park on October 17 - Nashville SC
- Revolution Visit Atlanta United FC on Wednesday - New England Revolution
- Nashville SC Update - Nashville SC
- Match Preview: Atlanta United vs. New England Revolution - Atlanta United FC
- Hablando Con Dénis Bouanaga: "It's a Great Opportunity to Add Another Entry on the Club's Roll of Honor, and I Really Hope That We Will Do It.Ã¢ÂÂ - MLS
- Houston Dynamo FC Open Three-Game Road Trip in Vancouver - Houston Dynamo FC
- Former Orlando City Captain Nani to Return to Exploria Stadium for the Beautiful Game - Orlando City SC
- Colorado Rapids Call up Three Players on Short-Term Agreements - Colorado Rapids
- Real Salt Lake Welcomes LA Galaxy to Utah Seeking Home Momentum - Real Salt Lake
- Momentum Solar Named Official Residential Solar Partner of the New York Red Bulls - New York Red Bulls
- The Pitch (Matchdays 16 & 17): Top Things to Watch in MLS this Week - MLS
- Major League Soccer and the Home Depot Announce Multi-Year Partnership Renewal - MLS
- Minnesota United Loans Forward Patrick Weah to FC Tulsa - Minnesota United FC
- New York Finishes Two-Match Road Stand with Matchup against Inter Miami CF on Wednesday Night - New York Red Bulls
- Four NYCFC Players Selected for USYNT - New York City FC
- Preview: FC Cincinnati Travel to Yankee Stadium to Face New York City FC in Midweek Matchup - FC Cincinnati
- Columbus Crew, JPMorgan Chase Launch Partnership, Chase Plaza at Lower.com Field - Columbus Crew SC
- Dig Deep: Ingredients of the Match - Charlotte FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.