Preview: FC Cincinnati Travel to Yankee Stadium to Face New York City FC in Midweek Matchup
FC Cincinnati take a four-match MLS winning streak into Yankee Stadium for a midweek matchup with New York City FC on Wednesday, May 31. Kickoff is set for 7:30 p.m. ET and the game will stream exclusively on MLS Season Pass on the Apple TV app. Fans can also listen to the match locally on ESPN 1530.
The Orange and Blue will face New York City FC for the first time in MLS play this season, having already bested the Pigeons 1-0 in the U.S. Open Cup Round of 32 on May 10. All-time against NYCFC, FC Cincinnati are 1-6-2. Both draws and the lone victory in Open Cup play have come under head coach Pat Noonan.
FC CINCINNATI at NEW YORK CITY FC - WEDNESDAY, MAY 31, 2023 - 7:30 p.m. ET - YANKEE STADIUM
HOW TO WATCH
Stream: MLS Season Pass on the Apple TV app
TV Talent (English): Kevin Egan (play-by-play), Kyndra de St. Aubin (analyst)
TV Talent (Spanish): Bruno Vain (play-by-play), Andres Agulla (analyst)
Radio: ESPN 1530
Radio Talent: Tom Gelehrter (play-by-play), Kevin McCloskey (analyst)
FC Cincinnati are unbeaten in the past three matchups against NYCFC across all competitions, as both matches in 2022 finished in a draw, and FCC bested NYCFC in the Open Cup Round of 32 earlier in May. Prior to the 2022 season, FC Cincinnati had not earned a point in six matches against NYCFC.
SCOUTING NEW YORK CITY FC (4-6-4, 16 PTS., 11TH EASTERN CONFERENCE)
New York City enter Wednesday grateful to be at home and looking for some momentum. The Pigeons returned to the friendly confines of Citi Field on Saturday following a five-game road stretch across all competitions. NYCFC earned just one point across those matches, against Orlando, as they fell to Toronto, Charlotte and Red Bulls in the league as well as to FC Cincinnati in the Open Cup.
On Saturday, NYCFC got out to a 1-0 lead against Philadelphia Union through Gabriel Pereira in the 30th minute, but a pair of goals from Julian Carranza in first half stoppage time saw them head into the break down 2-1. NYCFC would go on to fall 3-1.
New York's playing style favors the narrow dimensions of Yankee Stadium, with short passes and lengthy possession designed to unlock opposing defenses. Pereira, alongside Santiago Rodriguez, lead the team with four goals, and Talles Magno's three is just behind them. Four other players have added one goal, but the Pigeons have spent 2023 looking to replace the production of strikers Taty Castellanos, who scored 13 goals in 17 games last year before departing for Girona in Spain's La Liga, and Héber, who was tied for second in scoring for NYCFC last year with eight before departing for Seattle Sounders FC.
FC CINCINNATI NOTES
THE BUSY SCHEDULE CONTINUES - Wednesday night continues a congested stretch for FC Cincinnati. The match against NYCFC will mark FCC's fifth of six games in an 18-day span. And with the Orange and Blue preparing also for the U.S. Open Cup Quarterfinals, FC Cincinnati will end up playing eight games in a 25-day span between May 17 and June 10.
ON THE ROAD AGAIN - Following four-straight games across all competitions at FC Cincinnati's fortress in TQL Stadium, the NYCFC trip will mark the third road game in just over a week for Cincinnati.
Cincinnati are 2-1-4 across all competitions away from the Queen City.
MAY I HAVE YOUR ATTENTION? - Cincinnati will look to close out the month of May unbeaten. Wednesday marks the seventh game this month for FCC, tied with October 2020 and October 2021 for the most games played in a single month in club history.
The Orange and Blue are 5-0-1 across all competitions this month, with the lone draw ending as a penalty shootout win for FCC in the U.S. Open Cup Round of 16 at the New York Red Bulls.
CINCINNATI WARMS UP IN MAY - In Cincinnati's first three MLS seasons, the Orange and Blue were 2-7-0 in the month of May.
Since Pat Noonan's arrival, FCC are 7-2-0 in the month for an all-time 9-9-0 record in May (in MLS regular season play).
THE STREAK - FC Cincinnati's four-game winning streak in MLS play is the longest active streak across the league. A win Wednesday would match St. Louis CITY's five-game winning streak which the expansion side began the 2023 season with, the longest in MLS this season.
HAVING THE FIRST SAY - Opponents have scored on FC Cincinnati first just once this season (April 15 at STL). Every other team in MLS have conceded first in an MLS game at least twice in 2023.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from May 30, 2023
- Minnesota United at Austin FC Preview - Minnesota United FC
- Sporting KC Hosts FC Dallas on Wednesday - Sporting Kansas City
- LA Galaxy Parts Ways with President Chris Klein - LA Galaxy
- Colorado Rapids Call up Two Players on Short-Term Agreements - Colorado Rapids
- Sounders FC Announces Special Event Details Surrounding Saturday's Exciting Doubleheader Experience - Seattle Sounders FC
- MLS Disciplinary Committee Decisions Announced - MLS
- U.S. Men's National Team to Host High-Profile Friendly against Ghana at GEODIS Park on October 17 - Nashville SC
- Revolution Visit Atlanta United FC on Wednesday - New England Revolution
- Nashville SC Update - Nashville SC
- Match Preview: Atlanta United vs. New England Revolution - Atlanta United FC
- Hablando Con Dénis Bouanaga: "It's a Great Opportunity to Add Another Entry on the Club's Roll of Honor, and I Really Hope That We Will Do It.Ã¢ÂÂ - MLS
- Houston Dynamo FC Open Three-Game Road Trip in Vancouver - Houston Dynamo FC
- Former Orlando City Captain Nani to Return to Exploria Stadium for the Beautiful Game - Orlando City SC
- Colorado Rapids Call up Three Players on Short-Term Agreements - Colorado Rapids
- Real Salt Lake Welcomes LA Galaxy to Utah Seeking Home Momentum - Real Salt Lake
- Momentum Solar Named Official Residential Solar Partner of the New York Red Bulls - New York Red Bulls
- The Pitch (Matchdays 16 & 17): Top Things to Watch in MLS this Week - MLS
- Major League Soccer and the Home Depot Announce Multi-Year Partnership Renewal - MLS
- Minnesota United Loans Forward Patrick Weah to FC Tulsa - Minnesota United FC
- New York Finishes Two-Match Road Stand with Matchup against Inter Miami CF on Wednesday Night - New York Red Bulls
- Four NYCFC Players Selected for USYNT - New York City FC
- Preview: FC Cincinnati Travel to Yankee Stadium to Face New York City FC in Midweek Matchup - FC Cincinnati
- Columbus Crew, JPMorgan Chase Launch Partnership, Chase Plaza at Lower.com Field - Columbus Crew SC
- Dig Deep: Ingredients of the Match - Charlotte FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent FC Cincinnati Stories
- Youngsters Shine in Celebration of FC Cincinnati Pipeline
- FC Cincinnati Blanks Cavalier FC
- FC Cincinnati Punch Their Ticket to Concacaf Champions Cup Round of 16 with Decisive 4-0 Victory over Cavalier FC
- Busy Early Season Schedule Provides Extra Opportunities for FC Cincinnati to Develop Chemistry and Young Players to Make Their Mark
- FC Cincinnati Take 2-0 Lead into Return Leg against Cavalier FC in Concacaf Champions Cup