Sporting KC Hosts FC Dallas on Wednesday
Sporting Kansas City will host FC Dallas at 7:30 p.m. CT on Wednesday at Children's Mercy Park in a mid-week match-up that features two teams currently in strong runs of form.
Sporting has scored the second most goals in MLS in May and has accumulated the most points of any team in the Western Conference this month, going 3-1-1 with road results against the first-place Seattle Sounders and reigning MLS Cup champions LAFC to go along with back-to-back home wins in emphatic fashion by beating Minnesota 3-0 before defeating Portland 4-1 on Sunday. Meanwhile, Dallas is yet to lose in the month of May with a 2-0-3 record and will arrive in Kansas City riding the momentum of the longest active unbeaten run in the Western Conference.
Tickets for SKCvDAL are available online at SeatGeek, including the Sporting U Pass featuring $15 Supporters' Stand tickets for college students and the Coca-Cola Friends & Family 4-Pack featuring four Domino's pizzas, four 20-ounce Coca-Cola products and four tickets for $100. Wednesday's match will also kick off Pride Month as the club celebrates Soccer For All in collaboration with the Kansas City Pride Community Alliance.
Fans can pre-order the 2023 Pride Collection online at SportingStyle.com, including the pre-match top in men's, women's and youth sizes as well as tees and hats. In addition, the Budweiser Brew House will open early at 5 p.m. CT on Wednesday for KC Cauldron members to enjoy an indoor tailgate and Children's Mercy Park concessions will be offering $2 off burgers throughout Wednesday's match.
The clash between the two MLS charter clubs will be broadcast live on Apple TV for MLS Season Pass subscribers and fans can sign up for a one-month free trial. All of the action will also be shown by pub partners in the Sporting Pub Network and local radio coverage will air on Sports Radio 810 WHB and La Grande 1340 AM with streams available in the Sporting KC app.
A pair of MLS originals will write the next chapter in their 28-year history on Wednesday when Sporting Kansas City welcomes FC Dallas to Children's Mercy Park. The familiar foes last met on March 18 on Matchday 3 of the MLS campaign as FC Dallas overcame an early Daniel Salloi goal to win 2-1 with second-half goals from Alan Velasco and Jesus Ferreira complemented by a penalty save from Maarten Paes.
The result stands as the difference between Sporting and FC Dallas in the all-time MLS standings - SKC ranks fourth with 353 regular season wins and Dallas ranks third with 354 regular season wins - to set the stage for Wednesday's rematch in Kansas City, where Dallas is unbeaten in six straight regular season matches (4-0-2) since 2018. However, in the most recent meeting at Children's Mercy Park, Sporting prevailed 4-2 in extra time in the Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup Round of 32 on May 10, 2022.
For the first time this season, Sporting will play back-to-back home MLS matches during a stretch in which SKC has six home matches in a five-week span. Salloi has scored in each of the club's last two home matches, earning MLS Team of the Matchday honors this week after providing the game-winning goal in Sunday's 4-1 comeback against the Timbers.
Salloi has 10 goals in 17 career appearances against FC Dallas across all competitions - his most against any opponent - and his seven regular season goals are most of any KC player in the all-time series. A 2021 MLS All-Star and MVP finalist, Salloi has scored or assisted on eight of Sporting's 16 goals this season in all competitions (four goals, four assists).
FC Dallas is led by the attacking duo of Velasco and Ferreira with fellow Designated Player Paul Arriola sidelined with a right thigh injury. Velasco represented Argentina at the most recent FIFA U-17 World Cup while the 22-year-old Ferreira was an MLS All-Star, MLS Best XI selection and MLS Young Player of the Year in 2022 before starting for the U.S. Men's National Team in the Round of 16 at the 2022 FIFA World Cup.
Ferreira is fourth in MLS with eight goals and has scored or assisted in his last three appearances against Sporting KC to give him five goals and two assists in 10 regular season matches in the series. Notably, the only Dallas player to record goal contributions in more than three consecutive regular season games against Kansas City was Ferreira's father, David, who was Major League Soccer's Most Valuable Player in 2010.
FC Dallas will be without six players on Wednesday due to injuries with Sebastian Lletget (thigh), Paxton Pomykal (thigh), Tsiki Ntsabeleng (knee), Ema Twumasi (ankle) and Tarik Scott (knee) all ruled out along with the aforementioned Arriola. Four Sporting players will miss the match -- Tim Melia (quad), Kortne Ford (Achilles), Kayden Pierre (hamstring) and Willy Agada (tibia) -- while club captain Johnny Russell (hamstring) and midfielder Remi Walter (back) are questionable on the team's player availability report.
Sporting Kansas City vs. FC Dallas
2023 MLS Regular Season | Match 16
Wednesday, May 31 | 7:30 p.m. CT (7:39 kickoff)
Children's Mercy Park | Kansas City, Kan.
Apple TV | MLS Season Pass
English Radio | Sports Radio 810 WHB
Spanish Radio | La Grande 1340 AM
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from May 30, 2023
- Minnesota United at Austin FC Preview - Minnesota United FC
- Sporting KC Hosts FC Dallas on Wednesday - Sporting Kansas City
- LA Galaxy Parts Ways with President Chris Klein - LA Galaxy
- Colorado Rapids Call up Two Players on Short-Term Agreements - Colorado Rapids
- Sounders FC Announces Special Event Details Surrounding Saturday's Exciting Doubleheader Experience - Seattle Sounders FC
- MLS Disciplinary Committee Decisions Announced - MLS
- U.S. Men's National Team to Host High-Profile Friendly against Ghana at GEODIS Park on October 17 - Nashville SC
- Revolution Visit Atlanta United FC on Wednesday - New England Revolution
- Nashville SC Update - Nashville SC
- Match Preview: Atlanta United vs. New England Revolution - Atlanta United FC
- Hablando Con Dénis Bouanaga: "It's a Great Opportunity to Add Another Entry on the Club's Roll of Honor, and I Really Hope That We Will Do It.Ã¢ÂÂ - MLS
- Houston Dynamo FC Open Three-Game Road Trip in Vancouver - Houston Dynamo FC
- Former Orlando City Captain Nani to Return to Exploria Stadium for the Beautiful Game - Orlando City SC
- Colorado Rapids Call up Three Players on Short-Term Agreements - Colorado Rapids
- Real Salt Lake Welcomes LA Galaxy to Utah Seeking Home Momentum - Real Salt Lake
- Momentum Solar Named Official Residential Solar Partner of the New York Red Bulls - New York Red Bulls
- The Pitch (Matchdays 16 & 17): Top Things to Watch in MLS this Week - MLS
- Major League Soccer and the Home Depot Announce Multi-Year Partnership Renewal - MLS
- Minnesota United Loans Forward Patrick Weah to FC Tulsa - Minnesota United FC
- New York Finishes Two-Match Road Stand with Matchup against Inter Miami CF on Wednesday Night - New York Red Bulls
- Four NYCFC Players Selected for USYNT - New York City FC
- Preview: FC Cincinnati Travel to Yankee Stadium to Face New York City FC in Midweek Matchup - FC Cincinnati
- Columbus Crew, JPMorgan Chase Launch Partnership, Chase Plaza at Lower.com Field - Columbus Crew SC
- Dig Deep: Ingredients of the Match - Charlotte FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.