Mezquita Sharp, Claws Hold off Birds on Monday
LAKEWOOD, NJ - Jhordany Mezquita gave up two hits over five innings as the BlueClaws topped Delmarva 5-4 on Monday night at FirstEnergy Park.
Lakewood (27-34/56-75) has won seven of 11 against the first place Shorebirds (48-22/86-45) in the second half.
Mark Potter then came on with two outs and struck out Toby Welk looking to end the eighth inning. He gave up a run in the ninth, but struck out Adam Hall with the tying run on first base to end the game.
Carlos De La Cruz opened the scoring with a two-run home run in the second off Dallas Litscher. It was De La Cruz's seventh home run of the season, six of which have some since July 12th.
Lakewood added three more runs with the help of three Delmarva throwing errors in the bottom of the fifth inning to extend the lead to 5-0. The inning included an RBI single by De La Cruz, who reached second when a throwing error on Litscher allowed a second run to score.
Delmarva got back in the game, getting an unearned run off Rafi Gonell in the sixth and two in the eighth on a double from Johnny Rizer to cut the lead to 5-3.
Mezquita (4-7) matched his season long with five innings in te win.
Malvin Matos, Cole Stobbe, and De La Cruz had two hits apiece for the BlueClaws, who snapped a four-game losing streak.
The teams continue their series on Tuesday night at 7:05 pm. RHP Victor Santos (5-9) starts for Lakewood off RHP Gray Fenter (7-2).
Images from this story
Lakewood BlueClaws pitcher Jhordany Mezquita
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from August 26, 2019
- 'Birds Rally Falls Short at Lakewood - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Chambers Stays Hot in Opener vs. Hickory - Columbia Fireflies
- Kannapolis Falls 4-1 to Hagerstown Monday Night - Kannapolis Intimidators
- RiverDogs Use Longball to Shake Four-Game Slide - Charleston RiverDogs
- Drive Fall to GreenJackets on Monday - Greenville Drive
- Big Swings from Charleston Sink Tourists - Asheville Tourists
- Teng & Tucker Time in Greenville, Jackets Win 7-0 - Augusta GreenJackets
- Mezquita Sharp, Claws Hold off Birds on Monday - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Pitching Staff Stays Dialed in for 4-0 Win - Hagerstown Suns
- Monday's Road Contest in Lexington Cancelled - West Virginia Power
- Legends and Power Series Opener Cancelled - Lexington Legends
- Fireflies Roster Move and Game Notes: August 26 V. Hickory (Game 128) - Columbia Fireflies
- Game Notes (August 26) - West Virginia Power
- Hagerstown Suns: Game Notes - Hagerstown Suns
- RiverDogs' Maciejewski Named South Atlantic League Pitcher of the Week - Charleston RiverDogs
- Moore to Coach in Arizona Fall League - Delmarva Shorebirds
- 2019 Fireflies Homestand Highlights - August 26-29 - Columbia Fireflies
- 'Dads Playoff Tickets Now on Sale - Hickory Crawdads
- Intimidators Sweep Charleston with Sunday Win - Kannapolis Intimidators
- Pitching Leads the Way as Rome Beats Columbia 4-3 - Rome Braves
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.