Intimidators Sweep Charleston with Sunday Win
CHARLESTON, S.C. - Backed by another impressive outing from a Kannapolis starter and four players recording two hits, the Intimidators swept Charleston Sunday evening with a 5-2 victory at The Joe.
Kannapolis got the scoring going in the top of the second thanks to a couple walks from Charleston's starter, Harold Cortijo (L, 4-4). After walking Corey Zangari and Ramon Beltre, Gunnar Troutwine doubled (15) on a groundball down the third base line, helping score two runs for Charlotte.
The RiverDogs returned the favor in the bottom of the third with a run of their own against Kannapolis' Davis Martin (W, 8-9), using a single from Frederick Cuevas and a double from Brandon Lockridge to do so.
Two innings later, Lenyn Sosa kept his hot-streak alive with a line drive single to left field with one out. With Cortijo still on the bump, Alex Destino homered (16) to center field on a 2-0 pitch to give Martin three runs to work with.
Martin looked sharp all evening on the hill for Kannapolis, as the righty from Texas Tech hurled 7.0 innings of six-hit ball, striking out seven batters and only allowing one run. Martin pounded the zone all day, throwing 60 of his 87 pitches for strikes.
In the seventh, Ian Dawkins collected his 36th double of the season (South Atlantic League high) and second hit of the day with a ball hit down the left field line. One batter later, Sosa followed suit with his second hit of the day on a groundball up the middle to score Dawkins and extend the lead to four runs, 5-1.
J.B. Olson took over for the Intimidators on the mound in the eighth, recording two strikeouts and giving up one double to Lockridge to keep the score 5-1 heading into the ninth.
In the last frame, Hansen Butler replaced Olson and allowed one run on two singles and a double. Hansen also punched out three batters in the inning, including the last two batters with runners in scoring position.
After the three-game sweep, Kannapolis will head back home to Intimidators Stadium supported by Atrium Health for the stadium's and team's last ever home series as the Kannapolis Intimidators. The Intimidators will host Hagerstown with game one of the four-game series starting Monday at 7:00 p.m.
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from August 26, 2019
- 'Birds Rally Falls Short at Lakewood - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Chambers Stays Hot in Opener vs. Hickory - Columbia Fireflies
- Kannapolis Falls 4-1 to Hagerstown Monday Night - Kannapolis Cannon Ballers
- RiverDogs Use Longball to Shake Four-Game Slide - Charleston RiverDogs
- Drive Fall to GreenJackets on Monday - Greenville Drive
- Big Swings from Charleston Sink Tourists - Asheville Tourists
- Teng & Tucker Time in Greenville, Jackets Win 7-0 - Augusta GreenJackets
- Mezquita Sharp, Claws Hold off Birds on Monday - Jersey Shore BlueClaws
- Pitching Staff Stays Dialed in for 4-0 Win - Hagerstown Suns
- Monday's Road Contest in Lexington Cancelled - West Virginia Power
- Legends and Power Series Opener Cancelled - Lexington Legends
- Fireflies Roster Move and Game Notes: August 26 V. Hickory (Game 128) - Columbia Fireflies
- Game Notes (August 26) - West Virginia Power
- Hagerstown Suns: Game Notes - Hagerstown Suns
- RiverDogs' Maciejewski Named South Atlantic League Pitcher of the Week - Charleston RiverDogs
- Moore to Coach in Arizona Fall League - Delmarva Shorebirds
- 2019 Fireflies Homestand Highlights - August 26-29 - Columbia Fireflies
- 'Dads Playoff Tickets Now on Sale - Hickory Crawdads
- Intimidators Sweep Charleston with Sunday Win - Kannapolis Cannon Ballers
- Pitching Leads the Way as Rome Beats Columbia 4-3 - Rome Braves
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Kannapolis Cannon Ballers Stories
- Cannon Ballers Honor Heroes Through Field of Honor
- Cannon Ballers Share Disappointment on Postponed Inaugural Season
- Cannon Ballers Making Strides in Community
- Kannapolis Cannon Ballers Join Minor League Baseball's CommUNITY First Campaign
- Staff Spotlight Featuring Vince Marcucci, Assistant General Manager