Big Swings from Charleston Sink Tourists
ASHEVILLE - The Asheville Tourists fell to the Charleston RiverDogs on Monday evening 6-2 to open up their final homestand of the 2019 regular season. The RiverDogs used a pair of Home Runs to build a 5-0 lead and the Tourists could not mount enough offense to overcome the deficit.
Frederis Parra pitched seven innings for Asheville but he allowed both of Charleston's long balls. Canaan Smith hit a two-out three-run Home Run in the top of the third inning and Eduardo Torrealba added a two-run shot in the fourth that also came with two outs.
Coco Montes put the Tourists on the scoreboard with a solo Home Run in the bottom of the fourth; however, that was the only damage Asheville did against the RiverDogs' starting pitcher Roansy Contreras. The 19-year-old is 3-0 in three starts against the Tourists this year. The RBI from Montes was his 83rd of the season which tied him for the league lead.
Trailing 6-1 entering the bottom of the ninth, Asheville made a move late. John Cresto drove in Montes with a sacrifice fly and Daniel Montano hit a double to put two runners aboard. A groundout would end the rally and the game with the tying run stranded in the on-deck circle.
Will Tribucher pitched two innings in relief of Parra and pitched well. The left-hander tallied three strikeouts in his two frames of work. The Tourists are now back in a tie with the Augusta GreenJackets for first place with seven games to play. Rome is two games back while Charleston is clinging to their playoff hopes sitting four games back.
Asheville will attempt to answer on Tuesday night with the first pitch at McCormick Field scheduled for 7:05pm.
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from August 26, 2019
- 'Birds Rally Falls Short at Lakewood - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Chambers Stays Hot in Opener vs. Hickory - Columbia Fireflies
- Kannapolis Falls 4-1 to Hagerstown Monday Night - Kannapolis Cannon Ballers
- RiverDogs Use Longball to Shake Four-Game Slide - Charleston RiverDogs
- Drive Fall to GreenJackets on Monday - Greenville Drive
- Big Swings from Charleston Sink Tourists - Asheville Tourists
- Teng & Tucker Time in Greenville, Jackets Win 7-0 - Augusta GreenJackets
- Mezquita Sharp, Claws Hold off Birds on Monday - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Pitching Staff Stays Dialed in for 4-0 Win - Hagerstown Suns
- Monday's Road Contest in Lexington Cancelled - West Virginia Power
- Legends and Power Series Opener Cancelled - Lexington Legends
- Fireflies Roster Move and Game Notes: August 26 V. Hickory (Game 128) - Columbia Fireflies
- Game Notes (August 26) - West Virginia Power
- Hagerstown Suns: Game Notes - Hagerstown Suns
- RiverDogs' Maciejewski Named South Atlantic League Pitcher of the Week - Charleston RiverDogs
- Moore to Coach in Arizona Fall League - Delmarva Shorebirds
- 2019 Fireflies Homestand Highlights - August 26-29 - Columbia Fireflies
- 'Dads Playoff Tickets Now on Sale - Hickory Crawdads
- Intimidators Sweep Charleston with Sunday Win - Kannapolis Cannon Ballers
- Pitching Leads the Way as Rome Beats Columbia 4-3 - Rome Braves
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.