Kannapolis Falls 4-1 to Hagerstown Monday Night
KANNAPOLIS, N.C. - Despite solid pitching and a late rally, the Kannapolis Intimidators (59-72, 31-32) were unable to take the victory Monday night, falling to the Hagerstown Suns 4-1.
The Intimidators sent RHP Jason Bilous (L, 6-9) to the hill to face Hagerstown. The former Coastal Carolina product provided a quality outing, going five and a third innings, giving up three hits, four walks, and two hits, striking out seven.
Hagerstown (70-71, 32-31) opened the scoring in the top of the 4th, when Israel Pineda smacked his seventh home-run of the season. The solo shot off Bilous by the Nationals #10 overall prospect made it a 1-0 game.
RHP Reid Schaller (W, 4-3) took the mound for the Suns, throwing a productive five shut-out innings, giving up just two hits, striking out six, and walking two. The 14th overall prospect in the Washington Nationals organization proved to be a difficult opponent for the Intimidators, who did not find the base paths until the bottom of the third inning.
Following the 14th prospect was the 11th overall prospect, LHP Matt Cronin (H, 5). The former Arkansas southpaw fired two innings and four strikeouts, allowing no baserunners in his two frames of work. LHP Nick Wells (S, 1) relieved Cronin in the eighth, going the rest of the distance, giving up a run, one walk and two hits.
The Suns extended the lead in the top of the sixth, when a Kyle Marinconz ground out brought home Justin Connell to give Hagerstown a 2-0 lead. Later in the game, the lead grew to 4-0 on an Armond Upshaw triple that scored Phil Caulfield. On that same play, a throwing error by Camilo Quinteiro allowed Upshaw to cross the plate.
Wells allowed the only run for the Intimidators in the bottom of the ninth, when a groundball to second baseman Cole Daily turned into a throwing error, letting Alex Destino score to cut the lead to 4-1.
Kannapolis will look to rebound in game two of the four game set with the Hagerstown Suns on Tuesday. First pitch is set for 7:00 p.m. The Intimidators will send RHP Johan Dominguez (4-5, 3.05 ERA) to the rubber Tuesday, with the Suns pitcher TBA.
Fans can purchase tickets for the Tuesday night match-up with the Suns or any of the other two remaining 2019 home games by visiting intimidatorsbaseball.com or stopping by the F&M Bank Box Office located at Intimidators Stadium supported by Atrium Health.
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from August 26, 2019
- 'Birds Rally Falls Short at Lakewood - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Chambers Stays Hot in Opener vs. Hickory - Columbia Fireflies
- Kannapolis Falls 4-1 to Hagerstown Monday Night - Kannapolis Cannon Ballers
- RiverDogs Use Longball to Shake Four-Game Slide - Charleston RiverDogs
- Drive Fall to GreenJackets on Monday - Greenville Drive
- Big Swings from Charleston Sink Tourists - Asheville Tourists
- Teng & Tucker Time in Greenville, Jackets Win 7-0 - Augusta GreenJackets
- Mezquita Sharp, Claws Hold off Birds on Monday - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Pitching Staff Stays Dialed in for 4-0 Win - Hagerstown Suns
- Monday's Road Contest in Lexington Cancelled - West Virginia Power
- Legends and Power Series Opener Cancelled - Lexington Legends
- Fireflies Roster Move and Game Notes: August 26 V. Hickory (Game 128) - Columbia Fireflies
- Game Notes (August 26) - West Virginia Power
- Hagerstown Suns: Game Notes - Hagerstown Suns
- RiverDogs' Maciejewski Named South Atlantic League Pitcher of the Week - Charleston RiverDogs
- Moore to Coach in Arizona Fall League - Delmarva Shorebirds
- 2019 Fireflies Homestand Highlights - August 26-29 - Columbia Fireflies
- 'Dads Playoff Tickets Now on Sale - Hickory Crawdads
- Intimidators Sweep Charleston with Sunday Win - Kannapolis Cannon Ballers
- Pitching Leads the Way as Rome Beats Columbia 4-3 - Rome Braves
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Kannapolis Cannon Ballers Stories
- Cannon Ballers Share Disappointment on Postponed Inaugural Season
- Cannon Ballers Making Strides in Community
- Kannapolis Cannon Ballers Join Minor League Baseball's CommUNITY First Campaign
- Staff Spotlight Featuring Vince Marcucci, Assistant General Manager
- Staff Spotlight Featuring Mike Wolf, Director of Stadium Operations