Drive Fall to GreenJackets on Monday
GREENVILLE, S.C. - Augusta turned in eight hits to Greenville's three and used a four-run fourth inning to down the Drive 7-0 on Monday night, giving Augusta the 1-0 lead in the teams' four-game series.
Augusta took a 2-0 lead in the top of the second, thanks to a pop out and a single. The GreenJackets added four runs in the top of the fourth. Sean Roby doubled, then Ricardo Genoves followed with a walk. Two batters later, Anyesber Sivira grounded into a force out to score Roby, then Tyler Fitzgerald turned in a two-out double to score two. Frankie Tostado singled to score Fitzgerald and Alex Demchak came on to end the inning for the Drive, but not before the GreenJackets had grabbed a 6-0 lead. Jacob Gonzalez homered in the top of the sixth to push the Augusta lead to 7-0.
The Drive's best scoring chance came back in the second. Triston Casas led off the frame with a single to right and three batters later Jordan Wren double to left to put runners at second and third with two outs. A strikeout ended the frame and stranded both runners.
Brendan Nail and Robbie Baker combined to shut down the Augusta offense in the game's final three innings, as neither pitcher gave up a hit, Nail recorded two strikeouts in 2.0 innings and Baker struck out the side in the top of the ninth.
Augusta starter Kai-Wei Teng (2-0) earned the win, allowing no runs on three hits with nine strikeouts. Drive starter Angel Padron (2-7) was tagged with the loss after giving up six runs on five hits in 3.2 innings pitched.
Casas, Wren and Korby Batesole turned in the Drive's three hits, while Tyler Esplin drew a walk.
The Drive and GreenJackets continue their four-game series on Tuesday. First pitch is scheduled for 7:05 p.m.
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from August 26, 2019
- 'Birds Rally Falls Short at Lakewood - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Chambers Stays Hot in Opener vs. Hickory - Columbia Fireflies
- Kannapolis Falls 4-1 to Hagerstown Monday Night - Kannapolis Cannon Ballers
- RiverDogs Use Longball to Shake Four-Game Slide - Charleston RiverDogs
- Drive Fall to GreenJackets on Monday - Greenville Drive
- Big Swings from Charleston Sink Tourists - Asheville Tourists
- Teng & Tucker Time in Greenville, Jackets Win 7-0 - Augusta GreenJackets
- Mezquita Sharp, Claws Hold off Birds on Monday - Jersey Shore BlueClaws
- Pitching Staff Stays Dialed in for 4-0 Win - Hagerstown Suns
- Monday's Road Contest in Lexington Cancelled - West Virginia Power
- Legends and Power Series Opener Cancelled - Lexington Legends
- Fireflies Roster Move and Game Notes: August 26 V. Hickory (Game 128) - Columbia Fireflies
- Game Notes (August 26) - West Virginia Power
- Hagerstown Suns: Game Notes - Hagerstown Suns
- RiverDogs' Maciejewski Named South Atlantic League Pitcher of the Week - Charleston RiverDogs
- Moore to Coach in Arizona Fall League - Delmarva Shorebirds
- 2019 Fireflies Homestand Highlights - August 26-29 - Columbia Fireflies
- 'Dads Playoff Tickets Now on Sale - Hickory Crawdads
- Intimidators Sweep Charleston with Sunday Win - Kannapolis Cannon Ballers
- Pitching Leads the Way as Rome Beats Columbia 4-3 - Rome Braves
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Greenville Drive Stories
- West End Events at Fluor Field Unveils Fresh Look
- Step up to the Plate at Fluor Field on October 3
- Waldrop Inc. Announced as the Official HVAC & Plumbing Provider of the Greenville Drive
- Advanced Manufacturing and Engineering Event at the Drive Goes Virtual
- Drive Already Looking Forward to Next Year, Debut New Ticket Plan Options