Mets Comeback Not Enough in 5-4 Loss to Red Wings
Rochester, NY - The Syracuse Mets overcame a four-run deficit but dropped the series finale to the Rochester Red Wings, 5-4, on Wednesday afternoon at Frontier Field. Adeiny Hechavarría had an RBI and a season-high three hits in the game.
Rochester (4-9) started the scoring in the bottom of the fourth inning. LaMonte Wade Jr. was hit by a pitch, Wilin Rosario singled, and Brent Rooker singled to load the bases. Randy César followed with a single through the left side to score both Wade and Rosario and give the Red Wings a 2-0 lead.
In the fifth, Adam Rosales reached on an error by David Thompson at first base. Two batters later, Luke Raley homered over the right-center-field fence to extend the lead to 4-0.
Syracuse (7-7) started its comeback in the top of the sixth. With two outs, Hechavarría singled, and Travis Taijeron followed with his team-leading fourth home run of the season, cutting the Rochester lead in half, 4-2.
The Mets crept within one run in the seventh. Gregor Blanco walked, Tomas Nido singled, and then two batters later, Danny Espinosa walked to load the bases. Hechavarría followed with a single into right field, scoring Blanco to trim the deficit to one, 4-3.
Syracuse tied the game in the top of the eighth. David Thompson completed an 11-pitch at-bat with a home run to left-center field off Rochester reliever Austin Adams to square the game, 4-4.
But the Red Wings grabbed the lead right back in the bottom of the eighth. Rosario took an 0-1 pitch from Eric Hanhold and knocked it over the left-field fence to push the score to 5-4.
After an off day on Thursday, the Mets return to NBT Bank Stadium on Friday night to once again take on the Pawtucket Red Sox for the first game of a three-game series and seven-game homestand. First pitch Friday is scheduled for 6:35 p.m.
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from April 17, 2019
- Knights' Early Homers Hand Stripers 5-4 Loss - Gwinnett Stripers
- Vladdy Hits Massive Homer, PawSox Rally for the 11-8 Win - Buffalo Bisons
- Ironpigs Sweep Doubleheader - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Five-Run First Propels Knights to 5-4 Win on Wednesday - Charlotte Knights
- PawSox Dig out of 7-0 Hole, Salvage Series Finale 11-8 - Pawtucket Red Sox
- Harold Castro Breaks out in Loss to Indians - Toledo Mud Hens
- Error in Ninth Leads Tribe to Walk-Off Win - Indianapolis Indians
- Mets Comeback Not Enough in 5-4 Loss to Red Wings - Syracuse Mets
- Wings Celebrate Deaf Culture on April 28 - Rochester Red Wings
- Wings Win 5-4 in Homestand Finale - Rochester Red Wings
- Bats Drop Day Game at Louisville Slugger Field, 9-5 - Louisville Bats
- Bisons Game Notes - Buffalo at Pawtucket (6:05 p.m.) - Buffalo Bisons
- Action Sports Icon Travis Pastrana Added to Bisons' Nitro Circus Show Friday, May 24 at Sahlen Field - Buffalo Bisons
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (8-4) vs. Toledo Mud Hens (5-7) - Indianapolis Indians
- Easter Egg Hunt Highlights Weekend Series - Durham Bulls
- Stripers Youth Baseball Camp Now Open for Registration - Gwinnett Stripers
- SWB Game Notes - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Louisville Bats Notes - Louisville Bats
- Charlotte Scores Five Runs in 11th to Beat Gwinnett 10-6 - Gwinnett Stripers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Syracuse Mets Stories
- Syracuse Mets Annual Garage Sale October 25 & 26
- Syracuse Mets See Huge Jump in Attendance During the 2019 Season
- Syracuse Mets End Season with Heartbreaking 14-13 Loss to Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders in One-Game Playoff
- Mets Beat Red Wings, 8-4, to Force One-Game Playoff for North Division Title
- Syracuse Keeps Playoff Hope Alive with 7-3 Win against Rochester