Ironpigs Sweep Doubleheader
(Allentown, Pa) - The Lehigh Valley IronPigs (10-3) defeated the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders (8-6) in both games of their doubleheader on Wednesday night. They won both games 5-3.
The starting pitchers exchanged zeros in the early going until the top of the fourth inning. Catcher Deivy Grullon hit a two-run home run off Jonathan Loaisiga (0-1) to give the IronPigs a 2-0 lead. Zach Zehner brought in a run for the RailRiders in the bottom of the fourth inning by hitting a sacrifice fly. Loaisiga left the game after five innings.
Grullon hit an RBI double off Rex Brothers in the top of the sixth inning to extend Lehigh Valley's lead to 3-1. Lane Adams added a two-run home run off Brothers in the top of the seventh inning to give the IronPigs a 5-1 lead.
Cole Irvin (1-0) was cruising along until the bottom of the seventh inning. Thairo Estrada reached with a two-out single and Trey Amburgey reached base on a fielding error by Sean Rodriguez. Mandy Alvarez hit a two-run double that cut the IronPigs lead to 5-3 and chased Irvin out of the game. Edubray Ramos earned the save as he struck out Ryan McBroom looking to end the game.
The RailRiders jumped out to an early 2-0 lead after the bottom of the third inning as Gosuke Katoh and Cliff Pennington hit RBI singles off Tyler Viza. The IronPigs answered back in the top of the fourth inning. Lane Adams hit a two-run home run and Jan Hernandez followed with a three-run home run off Chance Adams to give the IronPigs a 5-2 lead.
The bullpen kept the game in check for the IronPigs until the RailRiders made things interesting in the bottom of the seventh inning. James Pazos allowed a run and left the game with the bases loaded. Edgar Garcia struck out Zack Zehner to close out the game and earn his first save of the season.
Tom Windle (1-0) earned the win by pitching 1 2/3 scoreless innings in relief of Viza.
The IronPigs return home on Thursday evening for a short three-game series against the Rochester Red Wings. First pitch is scheduled for 7:05 p.m.
The 2019 IronPigs season is the team's 12th as the top affiliate for the Philadelphia Phillies and 12th at Coca-Cola Park. Follow the IronPigs on Twitter at @IronPigs and like them on Facebook via www.facebook.com/LHVIronPigs.
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from April 17, 2019
- Knights' Early Homers Hand Stripers 5-4 Loss - Gwinnett Stripers
- Vladdy Hits Massive Homer, PawSox Rally for the 11-8 Win - Buffalo Bisons
- Ironpigs Sweep Doubleheader - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Five-Run First Propels Knights to 5-4 Win on Wednesday - Charlotte Knights
- PawSox Dig out of 7-0 Hole, Salvage Series Finale 11-8 - Pawtucket Red Sox
- Harold Castro Breaks out in Loss to Indians - Toledo Mud Hens
- Error in Ninth Leads Tribe to Walk-Off Win - Indianapolis Indians
- Mets Comeback Not Enough in 5-4 Loss to Red Wings - Syracuse Mets
- Wings Celebrate Deaf Culture on April 28 - Rochester Red Wings
- Wings Win 5-4 in Homestand Finale - Rochester Red Wings
- Bats Drop Day Game at Louisville Slugger Field, 9-5 - Louisville Bats
- Bisons Game Notes - Buffalo at Pawtucket (6:05 p.m.) - Buffalo Bisons
- Action Sports Icon Travis Pastrana Added to Bisons' Nitro Circus Show Friday, May 24 at Sahlen Field - Buffalo Bisons
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (8-4) vs. Toledo Mud Hens (5-7) - Indianapolis Indians
- Easter Egg Hunt Highlights Weekend Series - Durham Bulls
- Stripers Youth Baseball Camp Now Open for Registration - Gwinnett Stripers
- SWB Game Notes - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Louisville Bats Notes - Louisville Bats
- Charlotte Scores Five Runs in 11th to Beat Gwinnett 10-6 - Gwinnett Stripers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.