McGuff Tosses Six No-Hit Innings, Otters Hit Two Home Runs in Opening Night Win
EVANSVILLE, Ind. - Patrick McGuff was able to set the tone early, and Ryan Long's three-run home run in the first inning gave the Evansville Otters complete control of the game as they defeated the Southern Illinois Miners 9-4.
McGuff earns his first win of the season, going six no-hit innings and striking out 12.
Chase Cunningham takes the loss for the Miners, surrendering six runs off eight hits in 4.2 innings pitched.
After Long's home run, Jack Meggs smacked a hit in his first at-bat deep to right field to extend the Otters' lead to four.
In the fifth inning, Carlos Castro knocked in a two-run RBI single to give the Otters a 6-0 lead.
That RBI single would chase Miners pitcher Chase Cunningham out of the game, giving up six runs on eight hits.
The Otters would add two more runs in the seventh off an error from the Miners to extend their lead to 8-0.
The Miners were able to score their first runs of the game in the eighth when Kyle Davis crushed a two-run home run to centerfield off of Otters pitcher Taylor Wright, making the score 8-2.
The Otters would add another run in the ninth, and the Miners added two more before Otters relief pitcher Danny Hrbek was able to record the final out of the game.
Otters pitching was solid all around, recording 17 total strikeouts.
The Otters move to 1-0 to start their 25th anniversary season. They will square off against the Miners on Saturday in game two of the series, first pitch set for 6:35 p.m.
David Nguyen will have the play-by-play along with Bill McKeon as the analyst. Tune into the Otters Digital Network via YouTube or listen on the radio at 91.5 WUEV.
The Otters will continue opening weekend Saturday at 6:35 p.m. with YWCA "A League of Their Own" Night at Bosse Field. The evening will feature a game worn themed jersey auction as a part of the many promotions for the 25th Anniversary season.
To purchase a season ticket or group outing package, call (812) 435-8686 or visit the Bosse Field front office at 23 Don Mattingly Way, Evansville, Ind. The front office is open Monday through Friday from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
The Evansville Otters are the 2006 and 2016 Frontier League champions.
The Otters play all home games at historic Bosse Field, located at 23 Don Mattingly Way in Evansville, Ind. Stay up-to-date with the Evansville Otters by visiting evansvilleotters.com, or follow the Otters on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
For more information, visit evansvilleotters.com or call 812-435-8686.
• Discuss this story on the Frontier League message board...
Frontier League Stories from May 11, 2019
- Wynne Fans 13, Long Comes up Big at the Plate in Otters 6-1 Win - Evansville Otters
- Miners Drop Middle Game in Evansville - Southern Illinois Miners
- Carden's Brilliant Start Leads Gateway to First Win - Gateway Grizzlies
- Washington Only Manages Five Hits in Loss to Rascals - Washington Wild Things
- Late Schaumburg Rally Stopped Short at Gateway - Schaumburg Boomers
- Rascals Blank Wild Things 9-0 - River City Rascals
- Freedom Walk-Off to Take Series with Slammers - Florence Freedom
- Crushers squander chances to score in 3-0 loss - Lake Erie Crushers
- ThunderBolts Earn First Victory in Pitchers' Duel - Windy City ThunderBolts
- New Food & Beverage Options Elevate the Boomers Baseball Experience - Schaumburg Boomers
- Bats Quiet, Grizzlies Drop Opener - Gateway Grizzlies
- Freedom Lock Down Slammers on Opening Day - Florence Freedom
- McGuff Tosses Six No-Hit Innings, Otters Hit Two Home Runs in Opening Night Win - Evansville Otters
- Miners Tripped up on Opening Night - Southern Illinois Miners
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.