Carden's Brilliant Start Leads Gateway to First Win
SAUGET, Ill. - Chris Carden hurled six scoreless innings in his first professional start and the Gateway Grizzlies held on for a 3-2 win Saturday night over the Schaumburg Boomers at GCS Credit Union Ballpark.
After back-to-back singles by Shawon Dunston Jr. and Rafael Valera, Gateway (1-1) struck first on Boomers starting pitcher Payton Lobdell (0-1) in the second inning on a Connor Owings RBI double. Brent Sakurai drove in Valera on a sacrifice fly to center for an early 2-0 advantage.
The Grizzlies tacked on another run in the fourth with two outs when Sakurai delivered an RBI single up the middle to plate Valera from second base.
Carden (1-0) struck out five while allowing only one hit and two walks over his six shutout frames. Carden's most recent start before Saturday came on April 22, 2017, when he was a senior in college at NAIA Truett-McConnell University in Cleveland, Ga.
Schaumburg (1-1) got on the board in the eighth against Dakota Smith and tacked on another run against Grizzlies closer Grant Black, who finished the game with a strikeout of Boomers left fielder (and 2018 Frontier League All-Star) Jack Parenty after Schaumburg put runners on the corners with Gateway's lead down to one.
Patrick Boyle earned a hold with three strikeouts over a scoreless seventh inning in relief.
The series will finish with a rubber match Sunday at 6:05 p.m. at GCS Credit Union Ballpark.
• Discuss this story on the Frontier League message board...
Frontier League Stories from May 11, 2019
- Wynne Fans 13, Long Comes up Big at the Plate in Otters 6-1 Win - Evansville Otters
- Miners Drop Middle Game in Evansville - Southern Illinois Miners
- Carden's Brilliant Start Leads Gateway to First Win - Gateway Grizzlies
- Washington Only Manages Five Hits in Loss to Rascals - Washington Wild Things
- Late Schaumburg Rally Stopped Short at Gateway - Schaumburg Boomers
- Rascals Blank Wild Things 9-0 - River City Rascals
- Freedom Walk-Off to Take Series with Slammers - Florence Freedom
- Crushers squander chances to score in 3-0 loss - Lake Erie Crushers
- ThunderBolts Earn First Victory in Pitchers' Duel - Windy City ThunderBolts
- New Food & Beverage Options Elevate the Boomers Baseball Experience - Schaumburg Boomers
- Bats Quiet, Grizzlies Drop Opener - Gateway Grizzlies
- Freedom Lock Down Slammers on Opening Day - Florence Freedom
- McGuff Tosses Six No-Hit Innings, Otters Hit Two Home Runs in Opening Night Win - Evansville Otters
- Miners Tripped up on Opening Night - Southern Illinois Miners
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.