Late Schaumburg Rally Stopped Short at Gateway
SAUGET, IL - The Schaumburg Boomers, presented by Wintrust Community Banks, struggled to get the offense going on a cold night, but stayed in the game and had the tying run at third base in the ninth before succumbing to the Gateway Grizzlies 3-2 on Saturday night.
Gateway touched Schaumburg starter Payton Lobdell for a pair of runs in the second inning to take the lead. Gateway starter Chris Carden did the rest early, sitting down 12 in a row and recording 13 straight outs to end his season debut. Limited to just one hit entering the eighth and trailing 3-0, the Boomers chipped away on a double from Nick Oddo and a sacrifice fly from Alex Polston. With two outs in the ninth, Wilkyns Jimenez ignited a rally with a walk before consecutive singles from Oddo and Polston brought the Boomers within 3-2. Gateway closer Grant Black recorded a strikeout to end the game, leaving pinch-runner Dylan Jones standing at third with the would-be tying run.
Lobdell did not walk a batter in five innings, striking out four, but suffered the loss. Taylor Goshen worked the final three innings, striking out four including the side in the eighth. The Schaumburg pitching staff has issued just one walk in the first two games of the season. Oddo tallied three hits in the game while Polston drove in a pair. Julio Gonzalez coaxed three walks as the Boomers drew six in the game.
The rubber game of the series takes place on Sunday night at 6:05 p.m. Schaumburg will send LHP Aaron Rozek to the mound for his debut with the team while RHP Reign Letkeman counters for Gateway.
• Discuss this story on the Frontier League message board...
Frontier League Stories from May 11, 2019
- Wynne Fans 13, Long Comes up Big at the Plate in Otters 6-1 Win - Evansville Otters
- Miners Drop Middle Game in Evansville - Southern Illinois Miners
- Carden's Brilliant Start Leads Gateway to First Win - Gateway Grizzlies
- Washington Only Manages Five Hits in Loss to Rascals - Washington Wild Things
- Late Schaumburg Rally Stopped Short at Gateway - Schaumburg Boomers
- Rascals Blank Wild Things 9-0 - River City Rascals
- Freedom Walk-Off to Take Series with Slammers - Florence Freedom
- Crushers squander chances to score in 3-0 loss - Lake Erie Crushers
- ThunderBolts Earn First Victory in Pitchers' Duel - Windy City ThunderBolts
- New Food & Beverage Options Elevate the Boomers Baseball Experience - Schaumburg Boomers
- Bats Quiet, Grizzlies Drop Opener - Gateway Grizzlies
- Freedom Lock Down Slammers on Opening Day - Florence Freedom
- McGuff Tosses Six No-Hit Innings, Otters Hit Two Home Runs in Opening Night Win - Evansville Otters
- Miners Tripped up on Opening Night - Southern Illinois Miners
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.