Freedom Walk-Off to Take Series with Slammers
FLORENCE, Ky - Despite being shut-out through the first seven frames, the Florence Freedom, presented by Titan Mechanical Solutions, rallied for two runs in their final two at-bats to win the weekend series with the Joliet Slammers courtesy a, 2-1, victory in the middle game of the weekend series at UC Health Stadium on Saturday.
For the second time in as many nights, the Slammers (1-2) took the games first lead, thanks to a London Lindley RBI-single off Scott Sebald that scored Chaz Meadows in the top of the third.
Sebald would not allow another run the rest of the way, hurling a gem on his way to a tough-luck no-decision.
After failing to get much going on offense over their first seven at-bats, The Freedom (2-0) trailed, 1-0, in the bottom of eighth. With Isaac Sanchez (0-1) on the bump in relief of starter, Tyler Jandron, Florence rallied to tie the game behind a two-out double by Luis Pintor and an ensuing RBI-single from Caleb Lopes.
Joliet starter, Jandron earned a no-decision, despite a pristine final line of six shut-out innings, one hit and no runs with four walks and six strikeouts.
After Jonny Reid worked a clean 1.1 innings in relief of the southpaw, Sebald, Ryan Mordecai (1-0) emerged from the bullpen to record the final out in the visitors side of the ninth, preserving the 1-1 tie.
Florence finished the fight in the bottom of the ninth, loading the bases courtesy a trio of Sanchez free passes, including an intentional walk of Austin Wobrock. With Ricky Ramirez Jr. representing the tying run at third, Connor Crane lifted a towering drive to right field, the sacrifice fly propelling the Freedom to walk-off, 2-1, series clinching victory.
The Freedom will look for a series sweep on Sunday when they send right-hander Frank Valentino to the bump opposite righty Keegan Long of the Slammers. First pitch is slated for 5:35 p.m. at UC Health Stadium.
The Florence Freedom are members of the Independent Frontier League and play all home games at UC Health Stadium located at 7950 Freedom Wayin Florence, KY. The Freedom can be found online at florencefreedom.com, or by phone at (859) 594-4487.
• Discuss this story on the Frontier League message board...
Frontier League Stories from May 11, 2019
- Wynne Fans 13, Long Comes up Big at the Plate in Otters 6-1 Win - Evansville Otters
- Miners Drop Middle Game in Evansville - Southern Illinois Miners
- Carden's Brilliant Start Leads Gateway to First Win - Gateway Grizzlies
- Washington Only Manages Five Hits in Loss to Rascals - Washington Wild Things
- Late Schaumburg Rally Stopped Short at Gateway - Schaumburg Boomers
- Rascals Blank Wild Things 9-0 - River City Rascals
- Freedom Walk-Off to Take Series with Slammers - Florence Freedom
- Crushers squander chances to score in 3-0 loss - Lake Erie Crushers
- ThunderBolts Earn First Victory in Pitchers' Duel - Windy City ThunderBolts
- New Food & Beverage Options Elevate the Boomers Baseball Experience - Schaumburg Boomers
- Bats Quiet, Grizzlies Drop Opener - Gateway Grizzlies
- Freedom Lock Down Slammers on Opening Day - Florence Freedom
- McGuff Tosses Six No-Hit Innings, Otters Hit Two Home Runs in Opening Night Win - Evansville Otters
- Miners Tripped up on Opening Night - Southern Illinois Miners
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.