Bats Quiet, Grizzlies Drop Opener
SAUGET, Ill. - The Gateway Grizzlies tallied only three hits Friday night in a 6-1 loss to the Schaumburg Boomers to open the 2019 season at GCS Credit Union Ballpark.
Schaumburg (1-0) got on the board in the first inning on a Quincy Nieporte RBI single, but the run was unearned after a Grizzlies error. Gateway (0-1) had two errors and Grizzlies pitchers walked four.
Boomers starting pitcher Gunnar Kines (1-0) tossed six masterful innings; he conceded one hit, walked one, and did not allow a run. Kines has won each of his last two starts in Sauget and has permitted only one run over 12 innings in that span. His most recent start at GCS Credit Union Ballpark came in June 2017. He also started against the Grizzlies in Schaumburg last May, when he threw 4 2/3 scoreless innings.
Gateway's first hit finally came in the fourth inning when Jamey Smart singled to right-center.
But just as the Grizzlies' offense was showing life, Schaumburg tacked three more runs onto its lead in the fifth. Grizzlies starter Jordan Barrett (0-1) left with the bases loaded, and reliever Geoff Bramblett allowed all three inherited runners to score on a walk, a wild pitch, and a single.
Bramblett settled down to throw 2 1/3 innings without allowing an earned run and he faced the minimum over his two full innings out of the bullpen, but the damage was done.
Gateway scored its only run in the seventh inning when Shawon Dunston Jr. singled home Smart, who barely slid home ahead of the tag from Boomers catcher Nick Oddo.
Schaumburg tacked on two more runs (one earned) in the eighth inning against Grizzlies reliever Sean Johnson.
Gateway will take the field again Saturday at 7:05 p.m. for game two against Schaumburg at GCS Credit Union Ballpark.
• Discuss this story on the Frontier League message board...
Frontier League Stories from May 11, 2019
- Wynne Fans 13, Long Comes up Big at the Plate in Otters 6-1 Win - Evansville Otters
- Miners Drop Middle Game in Evansville - Southern Illinois Miners
- Carden's Brilliant Start Leads Gateway to First Win - Gateway Grizzlies
- Washington Only Manages Five Hits in Loss to Rascals - Washington Wild Things
- Late Schaumburg Rally Stopped Short at Gateway - Schaumburg Boomers
- Rascals Blank Wild Things 9-0 - River City Rascals
- Freedom Walk-Off to Take Series with Slammers - Florence Freedom
- Crushers squander chances to score in 3-0 loss - Lake Erie Crushers
- ThunderBolts Earn First Victory in Pitchers' Duel - Windy City ThunderBolts
- New Food & Beverage Options Elevate the Boomers Baseball Experience - Schaumburg Boomers
- Bats Quiet, Grizzlies Drop Opener - Gateway Grizzlies
- Freedom Lock Down Slammers on Opening Day - Florence Freedom
- McGuff Tosses Six No-Hit Innings, Otters Hit Two Home Runs in Opening Night Win - Evansville Otters
- Miners Tripped up on Opening Night - Southern Illinois Miners
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.