Match Preview: Atlanta United vs. LD Alajuelense
ATLANTA - Atlanta United will begin its 2021 Scotiabank Concacaf Champions League campaign Tuesday against LD Alajuelense at Estadio Alejandro Morera Soto in Alajuela, Costa Rica in the first leg of the Round of 16. The match is set to kick-off at 8 p.m. ET and will be nationally broadcast on FS1 and TUDN in the United States. Atlanta will host the return leg at Fifth Third Bank Stadium on April 13 at 6 p.m. ET.
For all statistics and media information, please visit our Media Resources page and Game Notes. MLS Media Assets can be found here.
Atlanta kicks off its 2021 season with its third consecutive SCCL appearance, joining Deportivo Saprissa as the only two teams in this year's tournament to have participated in the last three editions. Atlanta's three consecutive appearances is tied for the third-longest run for MLS clubs since 2008-09, trailing Toronto FC and LA Galaxy (four).
Atlanta owns an all-time record of 4-3-1 in SCCL play and has advanced to the quarterfinal stage in each of the past two seasons. The club is 4-0-0 at home or neutral venues but is seeking its first away win on Tuesday, as its away record stands at 0-3-1.
Atlanta's roster features 20 players with experience in international club competitions, including 17 players with previous SCCL experience.
Alajuelense sits atop the standings of Costa Rica's First Division with 34 points and a six-point lead through 16 matches. Alajuelense is 9-0-7 in the Clausura and leads the league in goals for (31), goals against (nine) and goal difference (22).
Alajuelense qualified for the 2021 SCCL by winning the 2020 Concacaf League title and has previously won the competition in 1986 and 2004 (then known as the Champions Cup).
Tuesday, April 6 | Estadio Alejandro Morera Soto, Alajuela, Costa Rica | 8 p.m. (ET)
Atlanta United vs. LD Alajuelense
TV | FS1, TUDN in U.S.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from April 5, 2021
- Atlanta United Signs Rocco Rios Novo to Short Term Agreement - Atlanta United FC
- Sporting KC Signs Academy Product Kaveh Rad - Sporting Kansas City
- Sounders FC Receives Approval to Welcome Fans Back to Lumen Field in a Limited Capacity to Open 2021 MLS Season - Seattle Sounders FC
- Match Preview: Atlanta United vs. LD Alajuelense - Atlanta United FC
- Orlando City SC Signs Midfielder Raul Aguilera as Club's 10th All-Time Homegrown - Orlando City SC
- Inter Miami CF Announces Three Preseason Fixtures to Finish 2021 Preseason - Inter Miami CF
- Philadelphia Union Announce Partnership with Founders Brewing Co. - Philadelphia Union
- Austin FC Announces Verde & Black, the Official Austin FC Podcast - Austin FC
- Head Coach Gary Smith 'Very Pleased' with Team's Attitude, Mentality After 1-0 Victory over Tampa Bay Rowdies - Nashville SC
- FC Dallas and Legends Hospitality Announce 11 New Food Items for 2021 at Toyota Stadium - FC Dallas
- FC Cincinnati Acquire Defender Gustavo Vallecilla on Loan from Ecuadorian Side SD Aucas - FC Cincinnati
- Atlanta United Signs Jack Gurr - Atlanta United FC
- MNUFC Loans Thomas Chacon to Uruguay's Liverpool FC - Minnesota United FC
- Nashville SC 2021 Single Game Tickets on Sale Today to General Public in the 300 Level for the First Two Matches - Nashville SC
- Sporting KC Announces Partnership with Central Bank of the Midwest - Sporting Kansas City
- Chicago Fire FC Announce Tickets for Home Opener at Soldier Field on Sale - Chicago Fire FC
- MLS to Implement Concussion Substitutes Initiative - MLS
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.