FC Cincinnati Acquire Defender Gustavo Vallecilla on Loan from Ecuadorian Side SD Aucas
CINCINNATI - FC Cincinnati have acquired defender Gustavo Vallecilla on a one-year loan from Ecuadorian club SD Aucas for the 2021 MLS season.
Vallecilla, 21, will occupy an international roster spot and will be added to FC Cincinnati's 2021 MLS roster upon the receipt of his P-1 Visa and International Transfer Certificate.
"We've made it a priority to add a center back to our roster prior to the start of the season, and we believe Gustavo provides a skillset that fits well with our playing philosophy," FC Cincinnati General Manager Gerard Nijkamp said. "He is a young player with a promising profile who adds balance to our roster composition. We look forward to Gustavo competing within our current group welcoming him to Cincinnati."
In the recently started Ecuadorian Serie A campaign, Vallecilla has made four appearances, all starts, across all competitions.
In his career, the center back has made 47 career appearances, including 27 starts, across all competitions since earning his first professional appearance at 17 years old with Deportivo Cuenca. Vallecilla has spent the entirety of his career in Ecuador, having played for Deportivo Cuenca (2016-18), SD Aucas (2019-2021) and Barcelona SC (2020) on loan.
After making a single appearance in each of the 2016 and 2017 seasons, Vallecilla broke through with regular playing time for Deportivo Cuenca in 2018. The defender made 16 appearances, including 11 starts, across all competitions.
Following 2018, Vallecilla joined fellow Ecuadorian Serie A side SD Aucas. In his first season with the club, the defender made seven appearances, including four starts, across all competitions.
The Esmeraldas, Ecuador, native joined Barcelona SC on loan for 2020 and made three appearances in the Copa Libertadores. In total, he made 18 appearances, including eight starts, and recorded his first career assist.
Internationally, Vallecilla has made a combined 21 appearances for Ecuador's youth national teams at the U-20 and U-23 levels.
FC Cincinnati will return to the pitch for their third MLS season on Saturday, April 17, when the team opens the season on the road against Nashville SC. FCC will officially open their 2021 home slate on Sunday, May 16, when the team hosts Inter Miami CF in the inaugural match at West End Stadium in a nationally televised 4 p.m. game.
For up-to-the-minute information about FC Cincinnati, visit the team's official website at fccincinnati.com, or follow the team on Twitter, Instagram and Facebook at @FCCincinnati. Additionally, fans are encouraged to download the team's official mobile app on the Apple App Store or Google Play for instant access to mobile tickets, team content and match notifications.
Information about seating options at the club's state-of-the-art West End Stadium - which will open in Spring 2021 - is now available at westendstadium.com. For more information about 2021 Season Ticket Memberships, which are now on sale to the general public, visit westendstadium.com or the stadium's social properties on Twitter, Facebook or Instagram at @WestEndStadium, or by calling the team's sales and service staff at 513-977-5425.
FC Cincinnati's current roster, listed alphabetically by position, is below:
Goalkeepers (4): Cody Cropper, Ben Lundt, Beckham Sunderland, PrzemysÅaw TytoÅ
Defenders (8): Saad Abdul-Salaam, Zico Bailey, Joseph-Claude-Gyau, Nick Hagglund, Ronald Matarrita, Tom Pettersson, Gustavo Vallecilla, Maikel van der Werff
Midfielders (10): Luciano Acosta, Frankie Amaya, Alvaro Barreal, Allan Cruz, Calvin Harris, Yuya Kubo, Haris Medunjanin, Ben Mines, Kamohelo Mokotjo, Caleb Stanko
Forwards (5): Isaac Atanga, Brenner, Franko KovaÄeviÄ, Jürgen Locadia, Brandon Vazquez
TRANSACTION: FC Cincinnati acquired defender Gustavo Vallecilla on a one-year loan from SD Aucas on April 5, 2021.
#5 GUSTAVO VALLECILLA
Pronunciation: VY-yuh CEE-yuh
Birthdate: May 28, 1999
Birthplace: Esmeraldas, Ecuador
Hometown: Esmeraldas, Ecuador
Last Club: SD Aucas (ECU)
MLS Roster Status: International
How Acquired: On loan from SD Aucas on April 5, 2021.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from April 5, 2021
- Atlanta United Signs Rocco Rios Novo to Short Term Agreement - Atlanta United FC
- Sporting KC Signs Academy Product Kaveh Rad - Sporting Kansas City
- Sounders FC Receives Approval to Welcome Fans Back to Lumen Field in a Limited Capacity to Open 2021 MLS Season - Seattle Sounders FC
- Match Preview: Atlanta United vs. LD Alajuelense - Atlanta United FC
- Orlando City SC Signs Midfielder Raul Aguilera as Club's 10th All-Time Homegrown - Orlando City SC
- Inter Miami CF Announces Three Preseason Fixtures to Finish 2021 Preseason - Inter Miami CF
- Philadelphia Union Announce Partnership with Founders Brewing Co. - Philadelphia Union
- Austin FC Announces Verde & Black, the Official Austin FC Podcast - Austin FC
- Head Coach Gary Smith 'Very Pleased' with Team's Attitude, Mentality After 1-0 Victory over Tampa Bay Rowdies - Nashville SC
- FC Dallas and Legends Hospitality Announce 11 New Food Items for 2021 at Toyota Stadium - FC Dallas
- FC Cincinnati Acquire Defender Gustavo Vallecilla on Loan from Ecuadorian Side SD Aucas - FC Cincinnati
- Atlanta United Signs Jack Gurr - Atlanta United FC
- MNUFC Loans Thomas Chacon to Uruguay's Liverpool FC - Minnesota United FC
- Nashville SC 2021 Single Game Tickets on Sale Today to General Public in the 300 Level for the First Two Matches - Nashville SC
- Sporting KC Announces Partnership with Central Bank of the Midwest - Sporting Kansas City
- Chicago Fire FC Announce Tickets for Home Opener at Soldier Field on Sale - Chicago Fire FC
- MLS to Implement Concussion Substitutes Initiative - MLS
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.