Orlando City SC Signs Midfielder Raul Aguilera as Club's 10th All-Time Homegrown
ORLANDO, Fla. - Orlando City SC has signed Orlando City Academy product Raul Aguilera (rah-OOL ah-gee-LEH-rah) to a one-year First Team contract with Club options in 2022, 2023 and 2024, it was announced today. Aguilera becomes the 10th Homegrown Player in Club history and the second to be inked to a deal this year.
"Raul is a great young player that has been with the Club from the very beginning," said EVP of Soccer Operations Luiz Muzzi. "He learned a lot from his time with a top-flight program at the collegiate level and brought that knowledge to our system and continued to work hard. Raul is a player that is incredibly dedicated to this Club, has shown us his love for this city and proven that he is truly a Lion through and through."
A native of Sanford, Fla., Raul joined the Orlando City Academy in 2013. Following his time in the Academy, the midfielder attended the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill and featured for the University's team from 2017-19. Aguilera made 30 starts in 44 career appearances, scoring two goals and providing six assists.
Featuring for Orlando City B in the 2020 season, the 21-year-old made seven starts in eight appearances and notched one goal for the side. Aguilera joined the First Team for the 2021 preseason, including training camp at IMG Academy in Bradenton.
With the signing, Aguilera is now the seventh Homegrown on the Lions' current roster, joining defender Michael Halliday, goalkeeper Mason Stajduhar, midfielders Jordan Bender and David Loera, along with forwards Benji Michel and Wilfredo Rivera.
TRANSACTION: Orlando City signs midfielder Raul Aguilera to a one-year Homegrown contract, with Club options in 2022, 2023 and 2024.
Born: Aug. 2, 1999 in Sanford, Fla.
Hometown: Sanford, Fla.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from April 5, 2021
- Atlanta United Signs Rocco Rios Novo to Short Term Agreement - Atlanta United FC
- Sporting KC Signs Academy Product Kaveh Rad - Sporting Kansas City
- Sounders FC Receives Approval to Welcome Fans Back to Lumen Field in a Limited Capacity to Open 2021 MLS Season - Seattle Sounders FC
- Match Preview: Atlanta United vs. LD Alajuelense - Atlanta United FC
- Orlando City SC Signs Midfielder Raul Aguilera as Club's 10th All-Time Homegrown - Orlando City SC
- Inter Miami CF Announces Three Preseason Fixtures to Finish 2021 Preseason - Inter Miami CF
- Philadelphia Union Announce Partnership with Founders Brewing Co. - Philadelphia Union
- Austin FC Announces Verde & Black, the Official Austin FC Podcast - Austin FC
- Head Coach Gary Smith 'Very Pleased' with Team's Attitude, Mentality After 1-0 Victory over Tampa Bay Rowdies - Nashville SC
- FC Dallas and Legends Hospitality Announce 11 New Food Items for 2021 at Toyota Stadium - FC Dallas
- FC Cincinnati Acquire Defender Gustavo Vallecilla on Loan from Ecuadorian Side SD Aucas - FC Cincinnati
- Atlanta United Signs Jack Gurr - Atlanta United FC
- MNUFC Loans Thomas Chacon to Uruguay's Liverpool FC - Minnesota United FC
- Nashville SC 2021 Single Game Tickets on Sale Today to General Public in the 300 Level for the First Two Matches - Nashville SC
- Sporting KC Announces Partnership with Central Bank of the Midwest - Sporting Kansas City
- Chicago Fire FC Announce Tickets for Home Opener at Soldier Field on Sale - Chicago Fire FC
- MLS to Implement Concussion Substitutes Initiative - MLS
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Orlando City SC Stories
- By the Numbers: Back from the Break
- Orlando City Returns to Action against Toronto FC on Saturday
- New and Improved Dike Returns to Orlando Ahead of Busy Summer
- Know Your Opponent: Toronto FC
- Orlando City SC Signs Defender Thomas Williams as Club's 11th All-Time Homegrown