Atlanta United Signs Jack Gurr
ATLANTA -Atlanta United today announced it has signed Jack Gurr to a semi-guaranteed one-year contract with two additional options years. The 25-year-old defender joins from Atlanta United 2, becoming the fifth player to sign from the club's USL team.
"Jack joined us in Orlando for last year's Scotiabank Concacaf Champions League and showed that he can perform at this level," Atlanta United Vice President and Technical Director Carlos Bocanegra said.
Gurr originally signed with ATL UTD 2 on Dec. 5, 2019. During the 2020 season, he started 15 games, scored one goal, added three assists and finished sixth in the USL Championship with 36 chances created. He then signed a short-term agreement with the First Team on Dec. 15, 2020 ahead of the re-start of the 2020 Concacaf Champions League and made his debut a day later, coming on in the 76th minute in Atlanta's 1-0 win over Club America.
In college, he was a four-year starter at Georgia Gwinnett from 2014-2017 where he was among the program's most accomplished players. He was top-five in nearly every major category and finished as Gwinnett's all-time leader in assists, second in shots and fifth in games played, goals and points. The Newcastle, England native led the Grizzlies to the NAIA tournament in three of his four seasons while being named to the First Team All-A.I.I. his junior and senior seasons when he led the team in assists each year.
Birthdate: Nov. 26, 1995 (Age: 25)
Birthplace: Newcastle, England
College: Georgia Gwinnett College
Transaction: Signed with Atlanta United on April 5, 2021
2021 Atlanta United roster (as of April 5, 2021)
Goalkeepers (3): Brad Guzan, Alec Kann, Ben Lundgaard
Defenders (13): Mikey Ambrose, George Bello, George Campbell, Alex De John, Jack Gurr, Franco Escobar*, Andrew Gutman***, Ronald HernÃ¡ndez, Brooks Lennon, Fernando Meza**, Efrain Morales, Miles Robinson, Anton Walkes
Midfielders (11): Mo Adams, Ezequiel Barco, Machop Chol, Jürgen Damm, Emerson Hyndman, Franco Ibarra, Marcelino Moreno, Jake Mulraney, Matheus Rossetto, Santiago Sosa, Tyler Wolff
Forwards (5): Jackson Conway, Erik Lopez, Lisandro López, Josef Martinez, Erick "Cubo" Torres
* - on loan with Newell's Old Boys
** - on loan with Defensa y Justicia
*** - on loan with New York Red Bulls
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from April 5, 2021
- Atlanta United Signs Rocco Rios Novo to Short Term Agreement - Atlanta United FC
- Sporting KC Signs Academy Product Kaveh Rad - Sporting Kansas City
- Sounders FC Receives Approval to Welcome Fans Back to Lumen Field in a Limited Capacity to Open 2021 MLS Season - Seattle Sounders FC
- Match Preview: Atlanta United vs. LD Alajuelense - Atlanta United FC
- Orlando City SC Signs Midfielder Raul Aguilera as Club's 10th All-Time Homegrown - Orlando City SC
- Inter Miami CF Announces Three Preseason Fixtures to Finish 2021 Preseason - Inter Miami CF
- Philadelphia Union Announce Partnership with Founders Brewing Co. - Philadelphia Union
- Austin FC Announces Verde & Black, the Official Austin FC Podcast - Austin FC
- Head Coach Gary Smith 'Very Pleased' with Team's Attitude, Mentality After 1-0 Victory over Tampa Bay Rowdies - Nashville SC
- FC Dallas and Legends Hospitality Announce 11 New Food Items for 2021 at Toyota Stadium - FC Dallas
- FC Cincinnati Acquire Defender Gustavo Vallecilla on Loan from Ecuadorian Side SD Aucas - FC Cincinnati
- Atlanta United Signs Jack Gurr - Atlanta United FC
- MNUFC Loans Thomas Chacon to Uruguay's Liverpool FC - Minnesota United FC
- Nashville SC 2021 Single Game Tickets on Sale Today to General Public in the 300 Level for the First Two Matches - Nashville SC
- Sporting KC Announces Partnership with Central Bank of the Midwest - Sporting Kansas City
- Chicago Fire FC Announce Tickets for Home Opener at Soldier Field on Sale - Chicago Fire FC
- MLS to Implement Concussion Substitutes Initiative - MLS
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.