Marvel Earns Eighth Win, Curve Downs Squirrels on Tuesday
RICHMOND, Va. - Eastern League All-Star James Marvel continued his dominance with his fourth straight win and eighth overall during a 5-1 victory for the Altoona Curve on Tuesday over the Richmond Flying Squirrels at The Diamond.
Marvel (Win, 8-5) allowed a solo homer to Flying Squirrels (27-47, 4-3) outfielder Gio Brusso in the second inning for the first run of the game. From there, the Curve (39-34, 4-2) starter threw up zeroes through seven total innings and racked up eighth strikeouts with just two runners total reaching second base for Richmond.
The offense provided the run support Marvel required with four of the club's five runs in the fifth inning. Alfredo Reyes doubled before back-to-back walks by Flying Squirrels starter Caleb Barager (Loss, 2-1) to Chris Sharpe and Jared Oliva loaded the bases for Robbie Glendinning. Altoona's shortstop hammered a 3-1 pitch into the left field corner for a two-run, go-ahead double. Richmond then turned to right-handed reliever Chase Johnson to face Bligh Madris, who plugged a single through the right side of the infield to score two more.
Altoona added one more run in the eighth when Brett Pope reached on an infield single, moved to second on a wild pitch, to third on a ground out at first, and scored on a second wild pitch by Richmond's Melvin Adon.
Blake Cederlind finished off the win on the mound with two scoreless innings in relief of Marvel.
Sharpe walked three times on the day while Oliva drew two free passes and collected a pair of singles. Reyes doubled twice in the contest during a season-high three-hit performance.
The Curve have won three straight and are now 16-6 in the month of June, tied with Bowie for the best record in the league this month.
The series concludes on Wednesday night with a 6:35 p.m. first pitch as the Curve look to wrap up the road trip with a three-game sweep.
The Curve are back at Peoples Natural Gas Field on Thursday, June 27 for a five-game, four-day series against the Binghamton Rumble Ponies featuring a giveaway or fireworks each day of the homestand. For tickets or more information about upcoming promotions, visit AltoonaCurve.com, call 877.99.CURVE or stop by the PNG Field box office. Additionally, the Stockyard Team Store is open Monday-Friday from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., during every home game and online 24/7/365.
• Discuss this story on the Eastern League message board...
Eastern League Stories from June 25, 2019
- Adleman Strong as SeaWolves Down Ponies 10-5 - Erie SeaWolves
- Thunder Fall as Reading Rallies Twice - Trenton Thunder
- Seven-Run Frame Evens Series, 7-2 - Bowie Baysox
- Hunter Rehabs, R-Phils Rebound with 9-2 Win - Reading Fightin Phils
- Big Inning for Baysox Dooms Yard Goats in Loss - Hartford Yard Goats
- Early Offense Powers SeaWolves Past Rumble Ponies - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Marvel Earns Eighth Win, Curve Downs Squirrels on Tuesday - Altoona Curve
- RubberDucks Edge Harrisburg in 11 - Akron RubberDucks
- Sens Fall Short in 10 innings, 2-1 - Harrisburg Senators
- 'Cats and 'Dogs Rained out on Tuesday - Portland Sea Dogs
- Erie SeaWolves at Binghamton Rumble Ponies - Game Notes - Erie SeaWolves
- Rumble Ponies Game Notes: #71 Rumble Ponies (3-3) vs. Erie SeaWolves (4-1) - 6:35 PM - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Harrisburg Senators Game Information and Starting Lineup - Harrisburg Senators
- Sea Dogs Game Notes June 25th vs. New Hampshire - Portland Sea Dogs
- Yard Goats to Host Second Annual "Links at the Yard" Golf Event at Dunkin' Donuts Park - Hartford Yard Goats
- Bullpen Shines During Monday's Win in Richmond - Altoona Curve
- Ponies Snap Skid at Home with DH Sweep of Erie - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Altoona Curve Stories
- James E. Van Zandt VAMC Partners with Altoona Curve for Mask Giveaway
- Altoona Curve Receive Invitation to MLB Player Development System
- Free Food Giveaway at PNG Field on October 13 and 20
- Altoona Curve Hosting Fall Beer Festival on October 17
- Minor League Baseball Cancels 2020 Season