Martinez, Manzanero Lead Dragons to 9-4 Win in Lansing
Lansing, Mich. - Dayton's Juan Martinez collected three hits including two doubles and drove in two runs as the Dragons defeated the Lansing Lugnuts 9-4 on Friday night. The win was the first victory for the Dragons at Cooley Law School Stadium since September 4, 2017, snapping a streak of 12 straight losses for the Dragons in Lansing. The Dragons and Lugnuts will play the rubber match of a three-game series on Saturday at 1:05 p.m.
The Dragons trailed 4-2 before they scored three runs in the fifth inning to take the lead. The loaded the bases with no outs when Pabel Manzanero singled to center field to drive in two runs and tie the game. Miguel Hernandez drove in the tie-breaking run with a bunt single later in the inning to score Jay Schuyler from third and make it 5-4.
The Dragons added two more runs in the seventh inning and two in the ninth. Martinez had RBI hits in both innings.
Dragons reliever Alexis Diaz (3-0) earned the win with two perfect innings of relief. He struck out two. Diaz, who has made five relief appearances on the year, has been credited with the victory in three of the Dragons six wins. Julio Pinto retired all four batters he faced to earn his first save. Pinto got the final out in the eighth with the tying run at third and then worked a perfect ninth inning. The Dragons bullpen combined to work five scoreless innings, allowing just two hits.
The Dragons collected 11 hits. Martinez was 3 for 4 with two runs scored and two driven in to raise his batting average on the year to .333. Manzanero was 3 for 5 with a double, two runs scored, and one driven in as his average improved to .304. Reniel Ozuna, who was 2 for 30 on the year to start the day, reached base four times with a run-scoring single and three walks. Jonathan Willems had a hit to drive in a run as he extended his hitting streak to six straight games.
Dragons starting pitcher Jared Solomon worked the first four innings, allowing four runs on six hits with four walks and three strikeouts.
Transactions: Dragons reliever Jesse Stallings was promoted to Daytona prior to Friday's game. The Dragons activated relief pitcher Jerry D'Andrea, who had been on the Billings roster, to replace Stallings.
Up Next: The Dragons (6-9) play in Lansing against the Lugnuts (8-7) in the last game of the series on Saturday at 1:05 p.m. Jacob Heatherly (1-1, 5.19) will start for Dayton against Lansing's Josh Winckowski (0-0, 2.08). The Dragons do not play on Easter Sunday before opening a three-game set at Lake County on Monday night.
On the Air: All Dragons games are broadcast on radio on Fox Sports 980 WONE AM. Games can be heard on smart phones, iPads, and other mobile devices via the free Dragons Mobile App, or on a computer at wone.com. Games are also available on HD Radio on 104.7 WTUI HD 2. All Saturday and Sunday home games are televised on Dayton's CW (channel 26; Spectrum cable channels 13 and 1013).
For Dragons 2019 ticket information, call (937) 228-2287.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from April 19, 2019
- Burlington Wins Second Game of Series, 4-3 - Burlington Bees
- Cougars Throw 10th No-Hitter in Franchise History - Kane County Cougars
- Chiefs Walk in Go-Ahead Run, Lose Again 4-3 - Peoria Chiefs
- LumberKings Hold On for Third Straight Win - Clinton LumberKings
- TinCaps Ride Sterling Pitching to Win Doubleheader Nightcap - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Seven-Run Inning Lifts Hot Rods to Third Straight Win - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Wisconsin Drops Another Close One at Clinton - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Cabbage, Williams Go Back to Back in Victory - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Kane County Tosses Combined No-Hitter in 1-0 Loss - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Snappers come up short in Cedar Rapids - Beloit Snappers
- For the First Time Since 2017, Dragons Win in Lansing - Lansing Lugnuts
- Wild 5th Inning Sinks Loons - Great Lakes Loons
- Martinez, Manzanero Lead Dragons to 9-4 Win in Lansing - Dayton Dragons
- Tyler Palm activated from 7-day Injured List - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- TinCaps Game Notes: April 19 vs. West Michigan (Games 15 & 16) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Friday's Captains vs. Cubs Game Postponed - Lake County Captains
- Hot Rods Game Notes - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Wisconsin Timber Rattlers Homestand Highlights: April 22-28 - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Hollywood Movie and Television Star Danny Trejo to Appear at Four Winds Field - South Bend Cubs
- Dragons Notes for Friday - Dayton Dragons
- Benson Blasts into History with Four-Homer Game - Lake County Captains
- Bees Walk-Off 4-3 over Chiefs - Burlington Bees
- Betts Homers Twice, Johnson Is Clutch in 13-Inning Win - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Banfield Walks It Off for LumberKings Win - Clinton LumberKings
- Chiefs Take No-Hitter Into Eighth, Lose 4-3 - Peoria Chiefs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.