Burlington Wins Second Game of Series, 4-3
The Bees philosophy at the plate is to be selective. Patience paid off for Burlington once again on Friday, drawing six bases on balls as they beat Peoria for the second night in a row. This time it was by a score of 4-3.
Trailing 2-1 going into the bottom of the eighth, Jordyn Adams led off by working a full count into a walk. He stole second, and went to third on a wild pitch. Spencer Griffin followed by drawing his second free pass of the game. He went to second on another wild pitch. Nonie Williams walked. Bases loaded. Alexis Olmeda continued the march with a walk, scoring Adams. Connor Fitzsimons walked. Griffin scored. D. C. Arendas lofted a sacrifice fly to left, scoring Williams, and the Bees were up 4-2.
The insurance run proved necessary as Peoria catcher Zach Jackson launched the first pitch of the ninth well over the right field fence, to bring the Chiefs within one. After a single and a fly out, Connor Higgins relieved Matt Leon to get the final two outs. Leon got his second win of the year in relief of starter Kyle Tyler.
Tyler was outstanding in his five and a third. It was the longest outing of the year by a Bees' pitcher. He allowed two hits and one unearned run. The right-hander from Oklahoma walked three and struck out three. Fitzsimons had two runs batted in on the walk, and a sacrifice fly.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from April 19, 2019
- Burlington Wins Second Game of Series, 4-3 - Burlington Bees
- Cougars Throw 10th No-Hitter in Franchise History - Kane County Cougars
- Chiefs Walk in Go-Ahead Run, Lose Again 4-3 - Peoria Chiefs
- LumberKings Hold On for Third Straight Win - Clinton LumberKings
- TinCaps Ride Sterling Pitching to Win Doubleheader Nightcap - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Seven-Run Inning Lifts Hot Rods to Third Straight Win - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Wisconsin Drops Another Close One at Clinton - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Cabbage, Williams Go Back to Back in Victory - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Kane County Tosses Combined No-Hitter in 1-0 Loss - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Snappers come up short in Cedar Rapids - Beloit Snappers
- For the First Time Since 2017, Dragons Win in Lansing - Lansing Lugnuts
- Wild 5th Inning Sinks Loons - Great Lakes Loons
- Martinez, Manzanero Lead Dragons to 9-4 Win in Lansing - Dayton Dragons
- Tyler Palm activated from 7-day Injured List - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- TinCaps Game Notes: April 19 vs. West Michigan (Games 15 & 16) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Friday's Captains vs. Cubs Game Postponed - Lake County Captains
- Hot Rods Game Notes - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Wisconsin Timber Rattlers Homestand Highlights: April 22-28 - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Hollywood Movie and Television Star Danny Trejo to Appear at Four Winds Field - South Bend Cubs
- Dragons Notes for Friday - Dayton Dragons
- Benson Blasts into History with Four-Homer Game - Lake County Captains
- Bees Walk-Off 4-3 over Chiefs - Burlington Bees
- Betts Homers Twice, Johnson Is Clutch in 13-Inning Win - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Banfield Walks It Off for LumberKings Win - Clinton LumberKings
- Chiefs Take No-Hitter Into Eighth, Lose 4-3 - Peoria Chiefs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.