Bees Walk-Off 4-3 over Chiefs
Burlington squandered opportunities early and took advantage of them late, walking off against the Peoria Chiefs 4-3.
The Bees were down two runs before they came to bat on a double, ground out, single of starter Jake Lee. With one out in the bottom half of the first Livan Soto walked and stole his fourth base of the year. Kevin Maitan walked. Francisco Del Valle walked. Bases loaded and Burlington could not push another run across.
From there Peoria marched a parade of pitcher out of the bullpen. They held the Bees hitless until the bottom of the eight when Jordyn Adams drew a leadoff walk. Soto followed with a double to left. Maitan struck out. Francisco Del Valle then drove a single to right, scoring Adams. Game tied at two. Nonie Williams stepped in and hit a line single to center. Soto scored, and the Bees took the lead.
It was a short one, as the Chiefs came right back to score on a Tyler Smith wild pitch in the top of the ninth. With one out in the home ninth D. C. Arendas walked. Jordyn Adams moved him to third with an excuse me single to right, and Maitan drove him home with a sacrifice fly to center.
Lee settled down to go five innings, giving up five hits and just the two first inning runs. Cristopher Molina followed with a solid 4.1 innings of three hit ball. He was charged the run in the ninth. Tyler Smith was credited with the win.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from April 19, 2019
- Burlington Wins Second Game of Series, 4-3 - Burlington Bees
- Cougars Throw 10th No-Hitter in Franchise History - Kane County Cougars
- Chiefs Walk in Go-Ahead Run, Lose Again 4-3 - Peoria Chiefs
- LumberKings Hold On for Third Straight Win - Clinton LumberKings
- TinCaps Ride Sterling Pitching to Win Doubleheader Nightcap - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Seven-Run Inning Lifts Hot Rods to Third Straight Win - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Wisconsin Drops Another Close One at Clinton - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Cabbage, Williams Go Back to Back in Victory - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Kane County Tosses Combined No-Hitter in 1-0 Loss - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Snappers come up short in Cedar Rapids - Beloit Snappers
- For the First Time Since 2017, Dragons Win in Lansing - Lansing Lugnuts
- Wild 5th Inning Sinks Loons - Great Lakes Loons
- Martinez, Manzanero Lead Dragons to 9-4 Win in Lansing - Dayton Dragons
- Tyler Palm activated from 7-day Injured List - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- TinCaps Game Notes: April 19 vs. West Michigan (Games 15 & 16) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Friday's Captains vs. Cubs Game Postponed - Lake County Captains
- Hot Rods Game Notes - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Wisconsin Timber Rattlers Homestand Highlights: April 22-28 - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Hollywood Movie and Television Star Danny Trejo to Appear at Four Winds Field - South Bend Cubs
- Dragons Notes for Friday - Dayton Dragons
- Benson Blasts into History with Four-Homer Game - Lake County Captains
- Bees Walk-Off 4-3 over Chiefs - Burlington Bees
- Betts Homers Twice, Johnson Is Clutch in 13-Inning Win - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Banfield Walks It Off for LumberKings Win - Clinton LumberKings
- Chiefs Take No-Hitter Into Eighth, Lose 4-3 - Peoria Chiefs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.