Mariners Acquire Two Forwards, Completing Trades
January 31, 2023 - ECHL (ECHL) - Maine Mariners News Release
PORTLAND, ME - The Maine Mariners completed a pair of future considerations trades on Tuesday, acquiring forwards Zach Pochiro from the Allen Americans and Chase Zieky from the Wheeling Nailers. In an additional roster move, defenseman Nate Kallen has left the team to sign in Slovakia.
Pochiro, 28, is an ECHL veteran of nine seasons, playing 315 career games in the league since the end of the 2013-14 campaign. He's played for Kalamazoo, the Alaska Aces, Quad City Mallards, Norfolk, Fort Wayne, and Allen. Along the way, Pochiro has also seen time in the American Hockey League with the Chicago Wolves and Bakersfield Condors. A St. Louis native, he was drafted in 2013 by his hometown Blues, in the fourth round, 112th overall. This season, Pochiro has 22 points (7 goals, 15 assists) in 36 games with Allen. The completed trade was originally the one that sent the rights to forward Pascal Laberge to the Kansas City Mavericks in October. In that deal, the Mariners acquired the rights to forward Bailey Conger and a future consideration (defenseman Dalton Gally), both of whom were swapped to Allen in December.
Chase Zieky joins the Mariners from the Wheeling Nailers to complete the Josh McKechney trade from November 10th, 2022. It will be his third ECHL team this season, after starting the year with the Greenville Swamp Rabbits. A 26-year-old forward from Avon, CT, Zieky made his professional debut last season for the Idaho Steelheads. He was later traded to Greenville where he finished the season, played in a playoff game, and re-signed for 2022-23. Between the Steelheads and Swamp Rabbits last season, he totaled 21 points (15 goals, 6 assists) in 44 games. On January 21st, Zieky was dealt from Greenville to Wheeling, and currently has 12 points (7 goals, 5 assists) in 23 games between the two teams this season. Zieky played Division I college hockey at both Providence and RPI.
The Mariners are on the road this weekend, visiting the division-leading Newfoundland Growlers on February 3rd, 4th, and 5th. The next home game is Friday, February 10th and is Country Night presented by 99.9 The Wolf. Game time is 7:15 PM against the Trois-Rivieres Lions and the Mariners will wear Mossy Oak specialty jerseys. More information on upcoming promotions can be found at MarinersOfMaine.com/promotions.
Individual game tickets can be purchased online, at the Ware-Butler Box Office inside the Cross Insurance Arena, or by calling 207-775-3458. Family Four Packs are available for all Saturday and Sunday games and can be purchased here. Season-long ticket plans are also still available. More information on ticketing options is available by calling 833-GO-MAINE, emailing email@example.com, or by visiting MarinersOfMaine.com.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from January 31, 2023
- Chase Perry Named ECHL Goalie of the Week - Allen Americans
- Swetlikoff's Hat Trick Powers Ghost Pirates Past Orlando - Savannah Ghost Pirates
- Oil Drops: Tulsa Oilers Weekly Report - Tulsa Oilers
- Thunder Receives Van Os-Shaw from Indy - Wichita Thunder
- ECHL Transactions - January 31 - ECHL
- Fuel to Host Annual Hockey Fights Cancer Night - Indy Fuel
- Allen's Perry Named Warrior Hockey/ECHL Goaltender of the Week - ECHL
- Mariners Acquire Two Forwards, Completing Trades - Maine Mariners
- D'Amato, Guay Assigned to Savannah - Savannah Ghost Pirates
- Details Unveiled for Saturday's Guinness World Record Attempt - Orlando Solar Bears
- Utah's Cutler Named Inglasco/ECHL Player of the Week - ECHL
- Brandon Cutler Named ECHL Player of the Week - Utah Grizzlies
- Florida's Darcy Is AMI Graphics/ECHL Plus Performer of the Month - ECHL
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.