MacIver Blasts Tourists to Exciting Win
LEXINGTON - Willie MacIver hit a pair of Home Runs and Colten Schmidt laid down six scoreless innings as the Asheville Tourists defeated the Lexington Legends 2-1 on Monday night. MacIver's two solo bombs were all the Tourists needed; even though the Legends made things interesting in the ninth.
Schmidt was spectacular this evening. The left-hander went step-for-step with Lexington's Kris Bubic. Schmidt matched a season-high with six innings pitched, scattered four hits, struck out seven, and only walked one. Colten did not factor in the decision but was without a doubt one of the stars for Asheville.
MacIver opened the scoring with a 517-foot Home Run to left centerfield to lead off the second inning. The blast drew oohhs and aahhs from the Lexington crowd as the ball disappeared while traveling over the flagpoles.
Lexington tied the game thanks to a two-out RBI triple in the bottom of the seventh. Cade Harris made a pair of diving catches in left field during the seventh inning to help limit the Legends to just the one run. Jake Bird tossed a scoreless eighth inning which helped set the stage for MacIver in the ninth.
With two outs the Tourists catcher stepped to the plate and hammered a Josh Dye delivery over the left field wall to put Asheville back in front 2-1. Lexington rallied to put runners at the corners with no outs in the bottom of the ninth but Alexander Martinez never wavered. Martinez struck out the next three Legends hitters for his ninth save of the season.
The win for Asheville earned them a series split with Lexington. The Tourists return home to open a four-game set with the Charleston RiverDogs on Tuesday night with the first pitch set for 7:05pm.
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from May 20, 2019
- Legends Split Series with Tourists - Lexington Legends
- MacIver Blasts Tourists to Exciting Win - Asheville Tourists
- Jackets Can't Complete Sweep of Charleston - Augusta GreenJackets
- Breaux Goes Yard as Dogs Salvage Game Four - Charleston RiverDogs
- Drive Shutout West Virginia, 4-0, to Split Series - Greenville Drive
- Power Silenced in 4-0 Loss to Greenville - West Virginia Power
- Chambers Collects Four Hits, Fireflies Split with Rome - Columbia Fireflies
- Promo Preview: ZOOperstars, BirdZerk and More - Hickory Crawdads
- Pitching Sharp But Claws Fall 2-1 at Greensboro - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Suns Fall in Back-And-Forth with Hickory - Hagerstown Suns
- Promotional Notes (May 21-28) - West Virginia Power
- Fireflies Game Notes - May 20 at ROM (Game 44) - Columbia Fireflies
- Bill on Baseball: Martin's Walk-Offs Wreck BlueClaws - Greensboro Grasshoppers
- Game Notes (May 20) - West Virginia Power
- Hagerstown Suns Game Notes - Hagerstown Suns
- Columbia Ends Rome Winning Streak with 9-8 Extra Inning Victory - Rome Braves
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Asheville Tourists Stories
- Harris Hits a Pair of Homers in First Half Finale
- Harlow Shines in Debut and Decolati Goes Deep in Losing Effort
- Finishing Issues Creep up for Second Straight Night
- Stunned in the Ninth; Tourists Fall to BlueClaws
- Watson, Bosiokovic Help Pitch Tourists to Extra-Inning Win