Drive Shutout West Virginia, 4-0, to Split Series
GREENVILLE, S.C. - The Greenville Drive blanked the West Virginia Power, 4-0, behind 7.0 scoreless innings from Thaddeus Ward on Monday night at Fluor Field. The Drive (17-26) took the final two games of the series to split the four-game series with the Power (22-21).
The Drive opened an early lead with three runs in the third. Grant Williams opened the frame with a single and Cole Brannen moved to second with a sac bunt. Tyler Esplin singled to center to score Williams and and make it a 1-0 game.
Devlin Granberg followed with a single to put two aboard, before a wild pitch allowed both runners to move up. Jordan Wren scored Esplin with an RBI groundout and Triston Casas followed with an RBI single to give the home team a 3-0 lead.
Ward took it from there, as the right-hander retired the final 15 batters he faced to work five straight 1-2-3 innings from the third inning on. He finished with 7.0 scoreless innings and allowed just four hits with seven strikeouts against no walks, earning his third win of the season.
The Drive tacked on an insurance run in the eighth. Wren tripled to open the frame and Casas drove him in with a sac fly to center for a 4-0 lead.
Hunter Haworth closed it out to earn his first save of the year, working a scoreless eighth and ninth innings with strikeouts to preserve the shutout.
Offensively, Casas led the way going 2-for-3 with a double, a sac fly and two RBI. Wren added a 2-for-4 performance with a triple, a run and an RBI, while Brandon Howlett recorded a double.
The Drive now travel to Columbia to begin a four-game series with the Fireflies beginning on Tuesday at 7:05 p.m.
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from May 20, 2019
- Legends Split Series with Tourists - Lexington Legends
- MacIver Blasts Tourists to Exciting Win - Asheville Tourists
- Jackets Can't Complete Sweep of Charleston - Augusta GreenJackets
- Breaux Goes Yard as Dogs Salvage Game Four - Charleston RiverDogs
- Drive Shutout West Virginia, 4-0, to Split Series - Greenville Drive
- Power Silenced in 4-0 Loss to Greenville - West Virginia Power
- Chambers Collects Four Hits, Fireflies Split with Rome - Columbia Fireflies
- Promo Preview: ZOOperstars, BirdZerk and More - Hickory Crawdads
- Pitching Sharp But Claws Fall 2-1 at Greensboro - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Suns Fall in Back-And-Forth with Hickory - Hagerstown Suns
- Promotional Notes (May 21-28) - West Virginia Power
- Fireflies Game Notes - May 20 at ROM (Game 44) - Columbia Fireflies
- Bill on Baseball: Martin's Walk-Offs Wreck BlueClaws - Greensboro Grasshoppers
- Game Notes (May 20) - West Virginia Power
- Hagerstown Suns Game Notes - Hagerstown Suns
- Columbia Ends Rome Winning Streak with 9-8 Extra Inning Victory - Rome Braves
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.