Fireflies Game Notes - May 20 at ROM (Game 44)
Columbia Fireflies (16-27) @ Rome Braves (21-22)
RHP Colin Holderman (3-0, 1.76) vs. RHP Jose Olague (4-3, 3.20)
Mon., May 20, 2019 - State Mutual Stadium (Rome, GA) - First Pitch 1:00 p.m. - Game 44
LISTEN: FirefliesLiveStream.com / ColumbiaFireflies.com / TuneIn App
LAST TIME OUT: Columbia earned an extra-innings victory against Rome, 9-8 (10). The game featured a combined 17 runs on 24 hits, including six home runs by the two squads. Ezequiel Zabaleta (W, 1-0) picke up his first win of the season, and Alec Kisena (S,2) registered his second save in the ten-inning thriller.
VIVA VIENTOS: Columbia third baseman Mark Vientos has been especially hot as of late. In his last 10 games, the 19-year-old is hitting .306 with 2 HR, 4 2B, and 6 RBIs. Vientos has reached safely in all but one of those games, and has recorded a hit in each of his last five appearances. The five-game hit streak is a season-high for the Floridian slugger.
THE MANIA CONTINUES: Fireflies outfielder Gerson Molina continued to impress in Sunday's win. The Cuban native had a 3-4 day with 2 2B, SB, and a game-winning base hit in the tenth inning. Since joining Columbia's roster on May 6th, Molina is hitting .310 with 2 HR and 8 RBIs.
HIGH FIVE!: Entering Monday's game, Columbia has homered in five consecutive games. It is their longest such streak of 2019.
FINALE: Columbia concludes its road trip in Rome on Monday. A win on Monday afternoon would continue the Fireflies' series unbeaten streak against the Braves, and would give them a winning record during the road stand.
FOLLOW THE LAW: Keith Law, senior baseball writer at ESPN, ranked Columbia's roster as the 7th-most "Loaded Roster" in all of Minor League Baseball. Law recognized the fact Columbia's roster includes the Mets' third, fourth and fifth-rated prospects (infielders Ronny Mauricio, Mark Vientos and Shervyen Newton, respectively), New York's past two second-round draft choices (RHP Simeon Woods-Richardson, Vientos) and the system's ninth-rated prospect, left-hander Thomas Szapucki (drafted in the fifth round in 2015). The roster also features 26th (Baseball America) and 27th-rated prospects Chris Viall and Christian James. The prospect rankings are according to MLB.com unless otherwise noted.
NEW STAFF: Fireflies second-year manager Pedro Lopez notwithstanding, Columbia has an entirely different coaching staff in 2019. Former big leaguer and Mets pitcher Royce Ring assumes the role as pitching coach and former Eastern League champion Luis Rivera is the new hitting coach. One-time Mets farmhand (and former player for Lopez in Binghamton in 2014) Gilbert Gomez is the team's first-ever bench coach. Daichi Arima (athletic trainer), Sam Nickelsen (strength and conditioning coach), Nicole Collins (assistant athletic trainer) and Dave Williams (mental skills coach) complete the Fireflies coaching staff in 2019.
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from May 20, 2019
- Legends Split Series with Tourists - Lexington Legends
- MacIver Blasts Tourists to Exciting Win - Asheville Tourists
- Jackets Can't Complete Sweep of Charleston - Augusta GreenJackets
- Breaux Goes Yard as Dogs Salvage Game Four - Charleston RiverDogs
- Drive Shutout West Virginia, 4-0, to Split Series - Greenville Drive
- Power Silenced in 4-0 Loss to Greenville - West Virginia Power
- Chambers Collects Four Hits, Fireflies Split with Rome - Columbia Fireflies
- Promo Preview: ZOOperstars, BirdZerk and More - Hickory Crawdads
- Pitching Sharp But Claws Fall 2-1 at Greensboro - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Suns Fall in Back-And-Forth with Hickory - Hagerstown Suns
- Promotional Notes (May 21-28) - West Virginia Power
- Fireflies Game Notes - May 20 at ROM (Game 44) - Columbia Fireflies
- Bill on Baseball: Martin's Walk-Offs Wreck BlueClaws - Greensboro Grasshoppers
- Game Notes (May 20) - West Virginia Power
- Hagerstown Suns Game Notes - Hagerstown Suns
- Columbia Ends Rome Winning Streak with 9-8 Extra Inning Victory - Rome Braves
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Columbia Fireflies Stories
- Chicharrones de Columbia to Return in 2020
- Fireflies Launch 36 Hour Flash Sale for All 2020 Fireworks Games
- Fireflies Announce 2020 Game Times and Promotional Highlights
- Mason in Search of a Trick-Or-Treating Partner
- Ballpark Digest Names Segra Park "Class A Ballpark of the Decade"