Louisville Bats Notes: July 12
TONIGHT'S GAME: The Louisville Bats and Columbus Clippers face off in a four-game series at Louisville Slugger Field coming off the Triple-A All-Star Break. Louisville has already played 47 home games, tied with the Durham Bulls for most home games played before the All-Star Break this season.
AGAINST COLUMBUS: The Bats and Clippers meet for the fifth of seven overall series this season and the final one at Louisville Slugger Field. The Clip Show has held a slight 6-4 edge through the teams' first 10 meetings at Louisville's home ballpark, while LOU took 2 of 3 from Columbus at Huntington Park to bring the season series to a 7-6 Columbus advantage. Despite trailing the season series by a game, the Bats have outscored the Clippers 72-66 through 13 matchups.
QUACKENBUSH, WILLIAMS APPEAR IN ALL-STAR GAME: The Louisville Bats had 3 International League All-Stars this season, RHPs Kevin Quackenbush and Tanner Rainey , and outfielder Mason Williams . Quackenbush came in to pitch the sixth inning, going 0.2 innings and giving up 2 earned runs on a hit, walking 2 and striking out one. Williams came off the bench and played center field, going 1-for-2 with a ninth inning single. He's the first Bat to record a hit in the All-Star Game since Jermaine Curtis also went 1-for-2 off the bench in the 2016 game.
SECOND HALF STARTS TODAY: The Bats begin the "second half" of the season tonight against the Clip Show. Since 2008, LOU is just 3-7 in the first game following the Triple-A All-Star break, last winning in a home game vs. Indianapolis in 2016 by a 9-8 score. Last season, the Bats owned a 35-54 record at the All-Star break, and the season before a 44-47 record.
Breaking Down the Numbers: Where Louisville's Been at the All-Star Break
Season Runs AVG (H/AB) HR ERA BB/SO [P]
2016 317 .253 (768/3037) 47 3.80 308/685
2017 349 .265 (821/3098) 50 4.41 346/730
2018 344 .259 (737/2842) 66 4.46 275/649
LAST TIME THESE CLUBS MET...: Louisville and Columbus played a wild game back on June 27 at Huntington Park in which Louisville won by an 11-10 score. In that game, there were 4 lead changes and Dilson Herrera and Phillip Ervin each homered twice, the first time the Bats had multiple players hit 2+ home runs in the same game since 2004. The 21 combined runs make it the second-highest scoring game of the season for Louisville, and its highest-scoring road game since April 21, 2015 at Toledo in a 13-8 loss.
6UERRERO: Louisville right fielder Gabriel Guerrero went 2-for-4 with a home run in the team's final game before the All-Star Break, a 6-1 in vs. Toledo. It was Guerrero's sixth home run of the season, all of them solo homers. The Bats are 6-0 when Guerrero homers.
ST11LL WITH US: The Bats currently have 11 players from their 2018 Opening Day roster still on the active 25-man roster, three fewer than the 14 players Louisville had from its Opening Day roster at the All-Star break in 2017.
MELLA SHINES IN START: Right-hander Keury Mella got the win in his 2018 Bats debut, tossing 5.0 innings and giving up just one unearned run on 4 hits, walking 2 and striking out 4 in his second career start for Louisville and his first since the final game of the 2016 season.
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from July 12, 2018
- Thanksgiving Salute, Cornhole, Fortnite Highlight Upcoming - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Play Fortnite with IronPigs, Pro Gamers this Sunday - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Knights Win Game One, Beat the Bulls 4-2 Thursday - Charlotte Knights
- Toledo Tops Tribe Behind Ninth-Inning Rally - Indianapolis Indians
- Mud Hens Stun Indians with Ninth-Inning Rally - Toledo Mud Hens
- Iribarren Records Milestone Hits in 6-4 Loss - Louisville Bats
- Bisons Win in Comeback Fashion, 4-3 - Buffalo Bisons
- Bisons Take Game One in Extras - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Haley Steers PawSox to 7-3 Win over Syracuse - Pawtucket Red Sox
- Wisler Bounces Back in 4-1 Win at Norfolk - Gwinnett Stripers
- Chiefs Drop Opener out of the All-Star Break, 7-3 to PawSox - Syracuse Chiefs
- Bulls Stumble in Two-Run Loss - Durham Bulls
- 10 Hits Don't Go Far Enough, Tides Fall to Gwinnett - Norfolk Tides
- RailRiders' Bats Silent in 2-1 Defeat to Red Wings - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Durham Bulls Game Notes - Thursday, July 12, 2018 - Durham Bulls
- Louisville Bats Notes: July 12 - Louisville Bats
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (48-39) vs. Toledo Mud Hens (49-39) - Indianapolis Indians
- Minor League Baseball Extra Innings Report - Rochester Red Wings
- Louisville Bats Homestand Highlights: July 12-15 - Louisville Bats
- Bisons Game Notes - Buffalo at Lehigh Valley (7:05 p.m.) - Buffalo Bisons
- Red Wings Announce 2018 Walk of Fame Class - Rochester Red Wings
- OF Jonathan Davis Joins Bisons - Buffalo Bisons
- Super Hens Jersey Revealed - Toledo Mud Hens
- LHV Game Notes - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- SWB Game Notes - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Louisville Bats Stories
- Louisville Bats 2018 Final Game Notes
- Louisville Bats Nominated for Golden Bobblehead Awards
- Louisville Bats Nominated for First-Ever "Best Digital Campaign or Activation" Award
- Steve Selsky Named IL Batter of the Week
- Steve Selsky Named International League Batter of the Week