RailRiders' Bats Silent in 2-1 Defeat to Red Wings
MOOSIC, Pa. - The Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders' bats were silent Thursday night at PNC field as they fell to the Rochester Red Wings 2-1.
The Red Wings took a 1-0 lead in the top of the third as Taylor Motter led off the inning with a walk and later scored on a single by Nick Gordon. The RailRiders responded in the bottom half of the inning as Abiatal Avelino singled and advanced to second on a passed ball. Shane Robinson then smacked a single to the left-center gap to plate Avelino and tie the game.
Neither team scored through the next three innings until Rochester pushed a run across in the top of the seventh. Motter started off with a walk and again Gordon singled to score him giving the Red Wings a 2-1 lead.
Rochester threatened again in the top of the eighth as Stephen Tarpley beaned both Kennys Vargas and LaMonte Wade. Jon Kemmer then hit a hot grounder to first to move both runners. The RailRiders decided to intentionally walk Taylor Motter to load the bases and Tarpley got Jordan Pacheco to ground into a double play to end the inning.
Chance Adams was handed the loss but had a decent outing going 6.2 innings allowing only two runs on five hits. He struck out five and walked three. In relief, Stephen Tarpley and Cale Coshow did not allow any hits or runs in their combined 2.2 innings. Robinson, Avelino, Billy McKinney and Tyler Austin were the only RailRiders with hits in the game.
The team will continue their home stand with Rochester tomorrow. First pitch is scheduled for 7:05 p.m. LHP Josh Rogers (6-6, 3.55) heads to the mound for SWB and LHP Stephen Gonsalves (5-3, 3.86) will be on the bump for the Red Wings. For tickets and more information, call (570) 969-BALL or slide to www.swbrailriders.com/tickets.
Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders Record:
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from July 12, 2018
- Thanksgiving Salute, Cornhole, Fortnite Highlight Upcoming - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Play Fortnite with IronPigs, Pro Gamers this Sunday - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Knights Win Game One, Beat the Bulls 4-2 Thursday - Charlotte Knights
- Toledo Tops Tribe Behind Ninth-Inning Rally - Indianapolis Indians
- Mud Hens Stun Indians with Ninth-Inning Rally - Toledo Mud Hens
- Iribarren Records Milestone Hits in 6-4 Loss - Louisville Bats
- Bisons Win in Comeback Fashion, 4-3 - Buffalo Bisons
- Bisons Take Game One in Extras - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Haley Steers PawSox to 7-3 Win over Syracuse - Pawtucket Red Sox
- Wisler Bounces Back in 4-1 Win at Norfolk - Gwinnett Stripers
- Chiefs Drop Opener out of the All-Star Break, 7-3 to PawSox - Syracuse Mets
- Bulls Stumble in Two-Run Loss - Durham Bulls
- 10 Hits Don't Go Far Enough, Tides Fall to Gwinnett - Norfolk Tides
- RailRiders' Bats Silent in 2-1 Defeat to Red Wings - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Durham Bulls Game Notes - Thursday, July 12, 2018 - Durham Bulls
- Louisville Bats Notes: July 12 - Louisville Bats
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (48-39) vs. Toledo Mud Hens (49-39) - Indianapolis Indians
- Minor League Baseball Extra Innings Report - Rochester Red Wings
- Louisville Bats Homestand Highlights: July 12-15 - Louisville Bats
- Bisons Game Notes - Buffalo at Lehigh Valley (7:05 p.m.) - Buffalo Bisons
- Red Wings Announce 2018 Walk of Fame Class - Rochester Red Wings
- OF Jonathan Davis Joins Bisons - Buffalo Bisons
- Super Hens Jersey Revealed - Toledo Mud Hens
- LHV Game Notes - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- SWB Game Notes - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders Stories
- March Madness Is Underway at PNC Field
- Watch and Retweet to win a Spring Training Excursion
- MiLB Announces 2019 Copa de la Diversion Schedule
- Single Game Tickets on Sale Next Week
- Copa de la Diversion Gala on March 29 at PNC Field