Chiefs Drop Opener out of the All-Star Break, 7-3 to PawSox
Pawtucket, RI - The Syracuse Chiefs dropped the opening day of the four-game series to the Pawtucket Red Sox, 7-3, Thursday night at McCoy Stadium. Jose Marmolejos had two extra-base hits including a home run in the loss.
Pawtucket (42-46) started the scoring in the second. Sam Travis was hit by a pitch, moved to second on a single, to third on a groundout, and scored on a Phillips Valdez wild pitch for the game's first run.
Syracuse (37-52) squared the game in the top the third. Jaff Decker doubled to start the inning, and stood on third after a groundout to the right side. Tuffy Gosewisch followed with a sacrifice fly to right field to give the Chiefs their first run.
The PawSox answered back with two runs in the third. Dan Butler walked and after a strikeout, Tony Renda hit a ground ball to third. Drew Ward made a short-hop pick, but his throw was wide allowed Butler to score and Renda to reach third on the error. Renda then scored on Mike Ohlman's single to give the PawSox a 3-1 lead.
The Chiefs again closed the gap. Jose Marmolejos hit an opposite field home run to bring the score to 3-2.
The game held at 3-2 until the sixth. Mike Olt was hit by a pitch with two outs, and then the PawSox loaded the bases after Mike Miller singled and Butler walked. Tim Collins came in and threw a wild pitch that scored Olt from third.
In the seventh, Pawtucket pushed the lead to 5-2. Renda walked, moved to third on a single and scored on a fielder's choice grounder to second to add to the total.
Syracuse grabbed a run back in the eighth. Marmolejos doubled to start the frame. After a one out single, Chris Dominguez hit a sacrifice fly to center to bring the score to 5-3.
Anuery Tavarez capped the scoring with a two-run home run off Chris Smith, the first runs allowed by Smith since May 29th.
The Chiefs and PawSox continue their series Friday night at 7:05 p.m. LHP Tommy Milone is scheduled to start for the Chiefs opposite LHP Drew Pomeranz on a Major League rehab assignment for the PawSox.
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from July 12, 2018
- Thanksgiving Salute, Cornhole, Fortnite Highlight Upcoming - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Play Fortnite with IronPigs, Pro Gamers this Sunday - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Knights Win Game One, Beat the Bulls 4-2 Thursday - Charlotte Knights
- Toledo Tops Tribe Behind Ninth-Inning Rally - Indianapolis Indians
- Mud Hens Stun Indians with Ninth-Inning Rally - Toledo Mud Hens
- Iribarren Records Milestone Hits in 6-4 Loss - Louisville Bats
- Bisons Win in Comeback Fashion, 4-3 - Buffalo Bisons
- Bisons Take Game One in Extras - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Haley Steers PawSox to 7-3 Win over Syracuse - Pawtucket Red Sox
- Wisler Bounces Back in 4-1 Win at Norfolk - Gwinnett Stripers
- Chiefs Drop Opener out of the All-Star Break, 7-3 to PawSox - Syracuse Mets
- Bulls Stumble in Two-Run Loss - Durham Bulls
- 10 Hits Don't Go Far Enough, Tides Fall to Gwinnett - Norfolk Tides
- RailRiders' Bats Silent in 2-1 Defeat to Red Wings - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Durham Bulls Game Notes - Thursday, July 12, 2018 - Durham Bulls
- Louisville Bats Notes: July 12 - Louisville Bats
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (48-39) vs. Toledo Mud Hens (49-39) - Indianapolis Indians
- Minor League Baseball Extra Innings Report - Rochester Red Wings
- Louisville Bats Homestand Highlights: July 12-15 - Louisville Bats
- Bisons Game Notes - Buffalo at Lehigh Valley (7:05 p.m.) - Buffalo Bisons
- Red Wings Announce 2018 Walk of Fame Class - Rochester Red Wings
- OF Jonathan Davis Joins Bisons - Buffalo Bisons
- Super Hens Jersey Revealed - Toledo Mud Hens
- LHV Game Notes - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- SWB Game Notes - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Syracuse Mets Stories
- Syracuse Mets Announce 2019 Coaching Staff for Inaugural Season
- Nitro Circus' Renowned You Got This Tour To Hit Syracuse For The First Time This Spring
- Syracuse Mets Invite Community to NBT Bank Stadium for Open House, March 2nd
- Syracuse Mets Announce Annual Garage Sale Dates
- Governor Cuomo Announces NY Mets, County Close To Finalizing Lease Extension To Keep Pro Baseball In Onondaga County For Next 25 Years