Chiefs Drop Opener out of the All-Star Break, 7-3 to PawSox
Pawtucket, RI - The Syracuse Chiefs dropped the opening day of the four-game series to the Pawtucket Red Sox, 7-3, Thursday night at McCoy Stadium. Jose Marmolejos had two extra-base hits including a home run in the loss.
Pawtucket (42-46) started the scoring in the second. Sam Travis was hit by a pitch, moved to second on a single, to third on a groundout, and scored on a Phillips Valdez wild pitch for the game's first run.
Syracuse (37-52) squared the game in the top the third. Jaff Decker doubled to start the inning, and stood on third after a groundout to the right side. Tuffy Gosewisch followed with a sacrifice fly to right field to give the Chiefs their first run.
The PawSox answered back with two runs in the third. Dan Butler walked and after a strikeout, Tony Renda hit a ground ball to third. Drew Ward made a short-hop pick, but his throw was wide allowed Butler to score and Renda to reach third on the error. Renda then scored on Mike Ohlman's single to give the PawSox a 3-1 lead.
The Chiefs again closed the gap. Jose Marmolejos hit an opposite field home run to bring the score to 3-2.
The game held at 3-2 until the sixth. Mike Olt was hit by a pitch with two outs, and then the PawSox loaded the bases after Mike Miller singled and Butler walked. Tim Collins came in and threw a wild pitch that scored Olt from third.
In the seventh, Pawtucket pushed the lead to 5-2. Renda walked, moved to third on a single and scored on a fielder's choice grounder to second to add to the total.
Syracuse grabbed a run back in the eighth. Marmolejos doubled to start the frame. After a one out single, Chris Dominguez hit a sacrifice fly to center to bring the score to 5-3.
Anuery Tavarez capped the scoring with a two-run home run off Chris Smith, the first runs allowed by Smith since May 29th.
The Chiefs and PawSox continue their series Friday night at 7:05 p.m. LHP Tommy Milone is scheduled to start for the Chiefs opposite LHP Drew Pomeranz on a Major League rehab assignment for the PawSox.
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from July 12, 2018
- Thanksgiving Salute, Cornhole, Fortnite Highlight Upcoming - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Play Fortnite with IronPigs, Pro Gamers this Sunday - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Knights Win Game One, Beat the Bulls 4-2 Thursday - Charlotte Knights
- Toledo Tops Tribe Behind Ninth-Inning Rally - Indianapolis Indians
- Mud Hens Stun Indians with Ninth-Inning Rally - Toledo Mud Hens
- Iribarren Records Milestone Hits in 6-4 Loss - Louisville Bats
- Bisons Win in Comeback Fashion, 4-3 - Buffalo Bisons
- Bisons Take Game One in Extras - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Haley Steers PawSox to 7-3 Win over Syracuse - Pawtucket Red Sox
- Wisler Bounces Back in 4-1 Win at Norfolk - Gwinnett Stripers
- Chiefs Drop Opener out of the All-Star Break, 7-3 to PawSox - Syracuse Chiefs
- Bulls Stumble in Two-Run Loss - Durham Bulls
- 10 Hits Don't Go Far Enough, Tides Fall to Gwinnett - Norfolk Tides
- RailRiders' Bats Silent in 2-1 Defeat to Red Wings - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Durham Bulls Game Notes - Thursday, July 12, 2018 - Durham Bulls
- Louisville Bats Notes: July 12 - Louisville Bats
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (48-39) vs. Toledo Mud Hens (49-39) - Indianapolis Indians
- Minor League Baseball Extra Innings Report - Rochester Red Wings
- Louisville Bats Homestand Highlights: July 12-15 - Louisville Bats
- Bisons Game Notes - Buffalo at Lehigh Valley (7:05 p.m.) - Buffalo Bisons
- Red Wings Announce 2018 Walk of Fame Class - Rochester Red Wings
- OF Jonathan Davis Joins Bisons - Buffalo Bisons
- Super Hens Jersey Revealed - Toledo Mud Hens
- LHV Game Notes - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- SWB Game Notes - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.