Haley Steers PawSox to 7-3 Win over Syracuse
PAWTUCKET, R.I. - Pawtucket Red Sox starter Justin Haley struck out a season-high nine batters, and Aneury Tavarez socked a home run, as the PawSox kicked off the unofficial second half of the season with a 7-3 win over the Syracuse Chiefs on Thursday night at McCoy Stadium.
The PawSox (42-46) found some breathing room in the sixth, seventh and eighth innings to extend a 3-2 cushion into a four-run margin en route to a victory over Syracuse (37-52) in the opener of the four-game weekend series. The eventful weekend continues Friday with Red Sox left-hander Drew Pomeranz slated for a rehab start, coupled with a G.O.A.T. bobblehead (of a future Hall of Fame quarterback) giveaway for the first 3,000 fans in attendance.
Haley (W, 5-7) punched out nine in 5.2 innings of two-run work and carried his elevated velocity into his sixth inning, where he recorded his final strikeout on a 93 MPH fastball on his 102nd pitch. Right-handed reliever Josh A. Smith recorded the final out in the sixth, and fellow righty Ty Buttrey (S, 1) earned a five-out save and lowered his ERA to a sparkling 1.93.
Pawtucket second baseman Tony Renda, who was promoted earlier in the day from Double-A Portland, went 2-for-4 and scored a pair of runs. First baseman Mike Ohlman (2-for-4, RBI) and shortstop Mike Miller (2-for-4) also notched multi-hit efforts.
Syracuse starter Phillips Valdez (L, 3-6) ceded four runs (three earned) over 5.2 innings.
Pawtucket climbed out to a 1-0 lead in the bottom of the second inning when left fielder Sam Travis, who was hit by a pitch earlier in the frame, scored from third on a wild pitch.
The Chiefs leveled the score, 1-1, in the third inning when right fielder Jaff Decker doubled and scored on a sacrifice fly.
The PawSox surged back ahead in the home half of the third. After catcher Dan Butler coaxed a leadoff walk, Butler scored when Renda rolled an infield single toward third and prompted an errant throw from Syracuse third baseman Drew Ward. Renda moved all the way to third himself and then scored - extending the lead to 3-1 - when Ohlman singled against Syracuse's drawn-in defense.
In the fourth, Syracuse first baseman Jose Marmolejos led off with a solo homer to trim the gap to 3-2.
Pawtucket grabbed a run back in the bottom of the sixth inning when third baseman Mike Olt was hit by a pitch and scored on a wild pitch.
In the seventh, pinch-hitter Cole Sturgeon grounded into a fielder's choice that allowed Renda to score from third and make it 5-2.
An inning later, Tavarez hammered a two-out, two-run homer to the right-center bleachers - his sixth long ball of the season - with an exit velocity of 101 MPH.
The PawSox continue their four-game weekend series against Syracuse at McCoy Stadium on Friday at 7:05 p.m. Rehabbing Red Sox left-hander Drew Pomeranz (0-1, 7.20) is scheduled to oppose Syracuse lefty Tommy Milone (5-4, 4.47). The game will be televised live on YurView on COX and Spectrum 3, and radio coverage on WHJJ (920 AM and 104.7 FM) and throughout the PawSox Radio Network begins with the pre-game show at 6:35 p.m.
The four-game series at McCoy Stadium runs through Sunday. Good tickets are available, and fans can visit the McCoy Stadium box office, which is open Monday-Friday from 10 a.m. through 5 p.m., and during all home games. Fans can also call (401) 724-7300 or log on to PawSox.com for tickets.
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from July 12, 2018
- Thanksgiving Salute, Cornhole, Fortnite Highlight Upcoming - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Play Fortnite with IronPigs, Pro Gamers this Sunday - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Knights Win Game One, Beat the Bulls 4-2 Thursday - Charlotte Knights
- Toledo Tops Tribe Behind Ninth-Inning Rally - Indianapolis Indians
- Mud Hens Stun Indians with Ninth-Inning Rally - Toledo Mud Hens
- Iribarren Records Milestone Hits in 6-4 Loss - Louisville Bats
- Bisons Win in Comeback Fashion, 4-3 - Buffalo Bisons
- Bisons Take Game One in Extras - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Haley Steers PawSox to 7-3 Win over Syracuse - Pawtucket Red Sox
- Wisler Bounces Back in 4-1 Win at Norfolk - Gwinnett Stripers
- Chiefs Drop Opener out of the All-Star Break, 7-3 to PawSox - Syracuse Mets
- Bulls Stumble in Two-Run Loss - Durham Bulls
- 10 Hits Don't Go Far Enough, Tides Fall to Gwinnett - Norfolk Tides
- RailRiders' Bats Silent in 2-1 Defeat to Red Wings - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Durham Bulls Game Notes - Thursday, July 12, 2018 - Durham Bulls
- Louisville Bats Notes: July 12 - Louisville Bats
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (48-39) vs. Toledo Mud Hens (49-39) - Indianapolis Indians
- Minor League Baseball Extra Innings Report - Rochester Red Wings
- Louisville Bats Homestand Highlights: July 12-15 - Louisville Bats
- Bisons Game Notes - Buffalo at Lehigh Valley (7:05 p.m.) - Buffalo Bisons
- Red Wings Announce 2018 Walk of Fame Class - Rochester Red Wings
- OF Jonathan Davis Joins Bisons - Buffalo Bisons
- Super Hens Jersey Revealed - Toledo Mud Hens
- LHV Game Notes - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- SWB Game Notes - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Pawtucket Red Sox Stories
- Nitro Circus to Hit McCoy Stadium
- PawSox to "Celebrate Rhode Island" in 2019 by Thanking Fans for "50 Years Together"
- Billy McMillon Named PawSox Manager for 2019
- 2019 PawSox Tickets to Go on Sale January 26
- Red Sox Announce Personnel Moves in Player Development and Minor League Field Staffs