Wisler Bounces Back in 4-1 Win at Norfolk
NORFOLK, VA - Right-hander Matt Wisler pitched 6.0 innings of one-run baseball to lead the Gwinnett Stripers to a 4-1 victory over the Norfolk Tides in the opener of the four-game series on Thursday night at Harbor Park.
After being tagged for season highs in hits (11) and earned runs (7) over 4.0 innings in his last start on July 4 against the same Norfolk club, Wisler (W, 3-4) was quality against the Tides on Thursday. He scattered eight hits and walked one while striking out four in a 93-pitch effort.
The Stripers took a 2-0 lead in the top of the third inning. Rob Brantly led off with a double off right-hander Matt Wotherspoon and scored three batters later on an RBI single by Rio Ruiz. After a single by Austin Riley put runners at the corners with one out, Carlos Franco lifted a sacrifice fly to right scoring Phil Gosselin for his team-leading 55th RBI.
Norfolk cut the lead to 2-1 in the bottom of the third as Cedric Mullins doubled and scored on a single by Renato Nunez.
Gwinnett boosted the lead back to two runs in the fourth on an RBI single by Gosselin, and Luis Marte's RBI single off left-hander D.J. Snelten made it 4-1 in the sixth.
Right-hander Elian Leyva (H, 1) followed Wisler with 1.1 scoreless, hitless frames.
Left-hander Chad Bell (H, 3) came on with one out in the eighth and yielded singles to Pedro Alvarez and Mike Yastrzemski to bring the tying run to the plate in the form of Austin Wynns. Wynns drove a ball to the warning track in the right-field corner, but Dustin Peterson made a spectacular diving catch to save two runs and end the inning.
Right-hander Jacob Webb (S, 3) retired the side in order in the ninth.
Offensively for the Stripers, Marte went 3-for-4 with an RBI in his Gwinnett debut. Gosselin went 2-for-5 with a double, run scored and an RBI. Ruiz went 1-for-5 with an RBI to extend his team-best hitting streak to 14 games.
Yastrzemski and Luis Sardinas were each 2-for-4 for the Tides. Wotherspoon (L, 2-6) allowed three runs on seven hits over 4.2 innings in the loss.
The Stripers (39-51) play game two of the four-game series against the Tides (46-42) on Friday at Harbor Park. Left-hander Luiz Gohara (1-3, 6.17 ERA) is set to start for Gwinnett, while Norfolk will counter with right-hander Asher Wojciechowski (5-4, 3.76 ERA). First pitch is scheduled for 7:05 p.m. Dave Lezotte has the play-by-play call on 97.7 and 93.5 FM "The Other Side of the River" beginning at 6:35 p.m.
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from July 12, 2018
- Thanksgiving Salute, Cornhole, Fortnite Highlight Upcoming - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Play Fortnite with IronPigs, Pro Gamers this Sunday - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Knights Win Game One, Beat the Bulls 4-2 Thursday - Charlotte Knights
- Toledo Tops Tribe Behind Ninth-Inning Rally - Indianapolis Indians
- Mud Hens Stun Indians with Ninth-Inning Rally - Toledo Mud Hens
- Iribarren Records Milestone Hits in 6-4 Loss - Louisville Bats
- Bisons Win in Comeback Fashion, 4-3 - Buffalo Bisons
- Bisons Take Game One in Extras - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Haley Steers PawSox to 7-3 Win over Syracuse - Pawtucket Red Sox
- Wisler Bounces Back in 4-1 Win at Norfolk - Gwinnett Stripers
- Chiefs Drop Opener out of the All-Star Break, 7-3 to PawSox - Syracuse Mets
- Bulls Stumble in Two-Run Loss - Durham Bulls
- 10 Hits Don't Go Far Enough, Tides Fall to Gwinnett - Norfolk Tides
- RailRiders' Bats Silent in 2-1 Defeat to Red Wings - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Durham Bulls Game Notes - Thursday, July 12, 2018 - Durham Bulls
- Louisville Bats Notes: July 12 - Louisville Bats
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (48-39) vs. Toledo Mud Hens (49-39) - Indianapolis Indians
- Minor League Baseball Extra Innings Report - Rochester Red Wings
- Louisville Bats Homestand Highlights: July 12-15 - Louisville Bats
- Bisons Game Notes - Buffalo at Lehigh Valley (7:05 p.m.) - Buffalo Bisons
- Red Wings Announce 2018 Walk of Fame Class - Rochester Red Wings
- OF Jonathan Davis Joins Bisons - Buffalo Bisons
- Super Hens Jersey Revealed - Toledo Mud Hens
- LHV Game Notes - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- SWB Game Notes - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Gwinnett Stripers Stories
- Gwinnett Stripers to Host Preseason Party on March 3
- Gwinnett Stripers Announce 2019 Promotions Schedule
- Bobby Cox to be Inducted into International League Hall of Fame
- Gwinnett Stripers Launch "Hook, 9 & Sinker" Packs for 2019
- Gwinnett Stripers Unveil "Little Anglers Kids Club"