Bisons Win in Comeback Fashion, 4-3
The second half of the Herd's season commenced with a wild game as the Bisons stole a 4-3 win from Coca-Cola Park Thursday night. After originally owning the lead, the Bisons came back from two runs down to tie the game and then score the go-ahead run in extra-innings.
Anthony Alford provided the game-winning run on a sacrifice fly in the tenth. Richard Urena, who started the inning at second base per the new league rules, tagged up from third on the play.
The Herd clung to a one-run lead until the sixth. Lehigh Valley had no hits entering the inning but that changed quickly as the IronPigs seized the lead on a three-run home run off the bat of Dylan Cozens.
Justin Shafer mitigated the damage in the inning by stranding two runners on base.
Half an inning after the Bisons gave up the lead, the Herd was right back in the game in the seventh. Buffalo took advantage of three fielding mishaps by the IronPigs to claw back and even the score at three runs apiece. The Bisons plated a pair of runs without a hit and without a batted ball in play leaving the infield.
Darnell Sweeney drew a leadoff walk and Gio Urshela and Lopes both averted potential double-play groundouts by reaching base on consecutive errors.
The ball hit by Lopes allowed Sweeney to score from second. Then, Roemon Fields hit a comebacker back to IronPigs' reliever Zac Curtis and the ball deflected off the lefty's glove to allow him to reach base safely. Urshela crossed home to move the score to 3-3.
The early part of this game featured the makings of a pitcher's duel. After the first two innings, Bisons' starter Sean Reid-Foley recorded all but one of his outs on strikeouts. In six innings against IronPigs' starter Jacob Waguespack, the Bisons tallied just three hits.
Reid-Foley overpowered the division-leading IronPigs lineup. The younger right-hander held the IronPigs hitless through five innings before the three-run frame with Cozen's longball. Reid-Foley filled up the strike zone and produced a bevy of swings-and-misses on his way to fanning a total of nine batters.
The breakthrough inning by the Herd in the seventh saved Reid-Foley from taking a loss and as a result, he received a no-decision in his outing.
Jose Fernandez toed the rubber after the Bisons retook the lead and made a heads-up play to prevent the IronPigs from advancing the tying run to third base and potentially knotting up the score. He fielded a bunt from Logan Moore and fired the ball to third to register the first out of the inning.
He then induced a fly ball and struck out former Bison Ryan Goins to notch his first career Triple-A save while securing the victory for the Herd.
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from July 12, 2018
- Thanksgiving Salute, Cornhole, Fortnite Highlight Upcoming - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Play Fortnite with IronPigs, Pro Gamers this Sunday - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Knights Win Game One, Beat the Bulls 4-2 Thursday - Charlotte Knights
- Toledo Tops Tribe Behind Ninth-Inning Rally - Indianapolis Indians
- Mud Hens Stun Indians with Ninth-Inning Rally - Toledo Mud Hens
- Iribarren Records Milestone Hits in 6-4 Loss - Louisville Bats
- Bisons Win in Comeback Fashion, 4-3 - Buffalo Bisons
- Bisons Take Game One in Extras - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Haley Steers PawSox to 7-3 Win over Syracuse - Pawtucket Red Sox
- Wisler Bounces Back in 4-1 Win at Norfolk - Gwinnett Stripers
- Chiefs Drop Opener out of the All-Star Break, 7-3 to PawSox - Syracuse Chiefs
- Bulls Stumble in Two-Run Loss - Durham Bulls
- 10 Hits Don't Go Far Enough, Tides Fall to Gwinnett - Norfolk Tides
- RailRiders' Bats Silent in 2-1 Defeat to Red Wings - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Durham Bulls Game Notes - Thursday, July 12, 2018 - Durham Bulls
- Louisville Bats Notes: July 12 - Louisville Bats
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (48-39) vs. Toledo Mud Hens (49-39) - Indianapolis Indians
- Minor League Baseball Extra Innings Report - Rochester Red Wings
- Louisville Bats Homestand Highlights: July 12-15 - Louisville Bats
- Bisons Game Notes - Buffalo at Lehigh Valley (7:05 p.m.) - Buffalo Bisons
- Red Wings Announce 2018 Walk of Fame Class - Rochester Red Wings
- OF Jonathan Davis Joins Bisons - Buffalo Bisons
- Super Hens Jersey Revealed - Toledo Mud Hens
- LHV Game Notes - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- SWB Game Notes - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Buffalo Bisons Stories
- Bisons Game Notes - Buffalo vs. Norfolk (7:05 p.m.)
- Bisons Stunned by IronPigs Home Run Barrage, Fall 8-0
- Bisons Game Notes - Buffalo at Lehigh Valley (1:35 p.m.)
- Bisons Late Rally Not Enough against IronPigs in 5-3 Loss
- Bisons to Celebrate 7/16 'National Bleu Cheese Dressing Day' with Food Drive, Game vs. Norfolk