Long Island Defeats Erie on Record Night from Shannon Scott
LONG ISLAND - The Long Island Nets (15-6), the NBA G League affiliate of the Brooklyn Nets, won their third consecutive game as they defeated the Erie BayHawks (11-10) 123-108 at NYCB LIVE, home of the Nassau Veterans Memorial Coliseum.
Long Island guard Shannon Scott recorded 20 assists, which were good for a franchise record, career high and marked an NBA G League season high. Scott also had nine points, six rebounds and five steals. Long Island forward Mitch Creek set a career high with a game-high 29 points to go along with seven rebounds, two assists and a steal. Brooklyn forward Treveon Graham had 17 points, eight rebounds, an assist and three steals while on assignment with Long Island.
Long Island got off to a quick start, scoring 32 points in the first quarter to lead Erie 32-23. Erie got revenge in the second quarter with 41 points in the period alone, shooting .630 percent from the field. Long Island still carried a one-point lead going into halftime with a score of 65-64.
The Nets came out of halftime focusing on defense, holding the BayHawks to 22 points in the quarter on .300 percent shooting from the field. Long Island held a 100-86 lead going into the fourth quarter.
Long Island continued their strong defensive effort and held Erie to 22 points again in the fourth before winning this one by a score of 123-108.
Atlanta two-way forward Alex Poythress led the team with 27 points and added eight rebounds, two assists, a steal and a block. Atlanta forward Omari Spellman logged a double-double with 12 points and 10 rebounds along with four assists, a steal and two blocks while on assignment with Erie.
Long Island will take on the Raptors 905 on Saturday, January 5, at 7 p.m. ET, while Erie will head back home to face the Windy City Bulls on Friday, January 4, at 7 p.m. ET.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from January 2, 2019
- Long Island Defeats Erie on Record Night from Shannon Scott - Long Island Nets
- Skyforce Bounce Back, Top Spurs in Overtime - Austin Spurs
- Skyforce Bounce Back, Top Spurs in Overtime - Sioux Falls Skyforce
- Westchester Falls to Fort Wayne, 101-93 - Westchester Knicks
- Mad Ants Control Glass, Johnson Scores Career High to Lead Road Win at Westchester - Fort Wayne Mad Ants
- Kings Shine During 5-Game Winning Streak - Stockton Kings
- Magic Re-Acquire Reggis Onwukamuche - Lakeland Magic
- Daigneault Named December Coach of the Month - Oklahoma City Blue
- New Orleans Pelicans Transfer Trevon Bluiett to Stars - Salt Lake City Stars
- Yante Maten Named NBA G League Player of the Month - Sioux Falls Skyforce
- Justin Dentmon Returns to Texas Legends - Texas Legends
- Stars Begin Four-Game Homestand on Friday - Salt Lake City Stars
- Golden State Warriors Recall Guard Jacob Evans III from Santa Cruz - Santa Cruz Warriors
- San Antonio Recalls Lonnie Walker IV from Austin Spurs - Austin Spurs
- Rio Grande Valley Vipers Add Jordan Johnson to Roster - Rio Grande Valley Vipers
- Del Harris Nominated for Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame - Texas Legends
- Hornets Recall Dwayne Bacon from Greensboro Swarm - Greensboro Swarm
- Last Week around the Leagues - OSC Original by Fran Stuchbury
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Long Island Nets Stories
- Long Island Nets Acquire Returning Player Rights to Deng Adel and Jakarr Sampson in Three-Team Trade
- Long Island Nets Announce Staff Additions
- Long Island Nets Acquire Returning Player Rights to Anthony Brown
- Long Island Nets Name Matt Riccardi General Manager & Shaun Fein Head Coach
- Long Island Nets Announce 2019-20 Schedule