Loggers Lose on Eau Claire Walk-Off, 3-2
EAU CLAIRE, WI:Â La Crosse came into Thursday night's matchup against Eau Claire looking to piece together a winning streak. The Loggers beat the Waterloo Bucks in game two of their doubleheader last night and were looking to capitalize on that momentum. Unfortunately, La Crosse could not hold onto their late lead and lost 3-2.
The first 7 innings of the game flew by. Both starters were dialed in from the beginning. Garrett Reisz (Creighton) shutdown a red-hot Loggers lineup. He allowed 0 runs, 2 hits and struck out 4. Loggers starter in Jacob Ferris (Louisville) was equally as great. Ferris fired a season high 7 innings allowing 0 runs and 2 hits while striking out 5. The game began to change once the bullpens came into play.
La Crosse pushed across the first two runs of the night in the 8th inning against Express reliever Ross Carver (Dallas Baptist). Poncho Ruiz (San Diego State) drove in the first run of the night while Michael Dixon (San Diego) followed up with one of his own. The lead did not stay that way for long however.
Eau Claire bounced right back in the bottom half against Ethan Bradford (Nebraska) when he came in for relief of Ferris. Bradford walked the bases loaded before Jared Freilich (Penn State) was brought into the game. After an RBI groundout, Nick Marinconz (Cal Poly) tied the game with a 2 out RBI single.
After both teams were unable to score in the 9th and La Crosse in the top of the 10th, it set the stage for Eau Claire in the bottom half. Eli Campbell (Bradley) came in for the 10th. He hit a batter and saw Ryan Lin-Piestrup (UIC) reach on a bunt single. Marinconz stepped up to the plate one final time and walked it off with a base hit to left to win it for the Express.
Both teams will face off once again Friday night at 7:05 PM CT.
• Discuss this story on the Northwoods League message board...
Northwoods League Stories from June 24, 2021
- Rockford Sweeps Doubleheader from Kalamazoo with Two Walk-Offs - Rockford Rivets
- Larks Fall Short, Rox Win 5-4 - Bismarck Larks
- MoonDogs Glide Past Mud Puppies in First Meeting - Mankato MoonDogs
- Loggers Lose on Eau Claire Walk-Off, 3-2 - La Crosse Loggers
- Iadisernia Shines in 7-5 Win over Green Bay - Madison Mallards
- Pit Spitters Bust out Broom out for Doubleheader - Traverse City Pit Spitters
- Weirather Dominates as Kingfish Even Series with Battle Creek - Kenosha Kingfish
- Bombers Late Rally Not Enough in Loss to Kingfish - Battle Creek Bombers
- First Place Dock Spiders Return Home Saturday Night - Fond du Lac Dock Spiders
- Governor Evers Announces $2.8 Million in Support for Minor League Sports in Wisconsin - Madison Mallards
- Express Split Double Header with Huskies - Eau Claire Express
- Booyah Return to Capitol - Green Bay Booyah
- Stingers Fall in St. Cloud - Willmar Stingers
- Honkers Take Game Two of Doubleheader Thanks to Three-Run Eighth - Rochester Honkers
- MoonDogs Split Wednesday Doubleheader with Honkers at Mayo Field - Mankato MoonDogs
- Huskies Drop Game Two to Express; Finish 3-5 on the Road Trip - Duluth Huskies
- Rafters Spilt Road Doubleheader against Booyah - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Growlers Rebound from Early Deficit, But Fall in Series Opener against Rockford - Kalamazoo Growlers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent La Crosse Loggers Stories
- Loggers Have League-High 7 Selected to MLDS
- La Crosse Unable to Hold on to Early Lead, Swept by Rochester in 12-10 Loss
- Bats Go Silent After Hot Start, Loggers Fall 6-2
- Loggers Head into All-Star Break in 3rd Place After Loss
- Loggers Walk-Off against Bucks to Win 3rd Straight