Weirather Dominates as Kingfish Even Series with Battle Creek
Battle Creek, Mich - The Kenosha Kingfish (13-11) defeated the Battle Creek Bombers (8-15) 5-4 at C.O. Brown Stadium on Thursday, June 24th.
Looking to even the series, Kenosha took the lead in the fifth inning when a wild pitch scored Casey O'Laughlin (Azusa Pacific). A few pitches later, Cam Redding (Saint Louis) hit an RBI triple scoring Mitch Jebb (Michigan State) to increase the lead to 2-0. A few batters later, Vince Bianchina (Northwestern) singled, plating Redding to give the Kingfish the 3-0 lead..
In the eighth inning, Kenosha added two more when an error scored Xavier Watson (Illinois). Redding then hit a sacrifice fly, scoring Jebb to make it 5-0.
In the bottom half of the eighth and the ninth, Battle Creek scored two runs in each frame to cut the deficit to 5-4 and with the tying run on third base, Sy Snedeker (Princeton) flew out to the warning track to end the game and even the series.
On the mound, Kingfish starter Brock Weirather (Richmond) picked up the win going six innings of shutout ball while only allowing one hit. Dominic Hann (Michigan State) threw two innings allowing two runs. Brady Kais (Columbus State) pitched the ninth allowing two runs and claiming the save.
Kenosha will take on Battle Creek tomorrow, Friday, June 25 at 6:35 p.m EDT in a double header of two seven inning games due to a postponement of Thursday night's contest.
• Discuss this story on the Northwoods League message board...
Northwoods League Stories from June 24, 2021
- Rockford Sweeps Doubleheader from Kalamazoo with Two Walk-Offs - Rockford Rivets
- Larks Fall Short, Rox Win 5-4 - Bismarck Larks
- MoonDogs Glide Past Mud Puppies in First Meeting - Mankato MoonDogs
- Loggers Lose on Eau Claire Walk-Off, 3-2 - La Crosse Loggers
- Iadisernia Shines in 7-5 Win over Green Bay - Madison Mallards
- Pit Spitters Bust out Broom out for Doubleheader - Traverse City Pit Spitters
- Weirather Dominates as Kingfish Even Series with Battle Creek - Kenosha Kingfish
- Bombers Late Rally Not Enough in Loss to Kingfish - Battle Creek Bombers
- First Place Dock Spiders Return Home Saturday Night - Fond du Lac Dock Spiders
- Governor Evers Announces $2.8 Million in Support for Minor League Sports in Wisconsin - Madison Mallards
- Express Split Double Header with Huskies - Eau Claire Express
- Booyah Return to Capitol - Green Bay Booyah
- Stingers Fall in St. Cloud - Willmar Stingers
- Honkers Take Game Two of Doubleheader Thanks to Three-Run Eighth - Rochester Honkers
- MoonDogs Split Wednesday Doubleheader with Honkers at Mayo Field - Mankato MoonDogs
- Huskies Drop Game Two to Express; Finish 3-5 on the Road Trip - Duluth Huskies
- Rafters Spilt Road Doubleheader against Booyah - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Growlers Rebound from Early Deficit, But Fall in Series Opener against Rockford - Kalamazoo Growlers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.