Lexington Drops Game One to Hagerstown
MUNICIPAL PARK (Hagerstown, MD) - On their first road trip of 2019, the Lexington Legends fall to the Hagerstown Suns, 11-1 at Municipal Park. The Legends drop to 6-5 while the Suns improve to 6-6 on the season. Lexington continues to hold the top spot in the Southern Division of the South Atlantic League.
In the bottom of the first inning, Cody Wilson led off with a homer to center field and the Suns led 1-0.
With two outs in the bottom of the second inning, Justin Connell and Cody Wilson drew back-to-back walks. Kyle Marinconz doubled them home, extending Hagerstown's lead 3-0. Lexington's pitcher, Charlie Neuweiler, then tossed two wild pitches, allowing Marinconz to score. Israel Pineda and Jacob Rhinesemith both reached on singles. Gilbert Lara singled home Pineda and the Suns led 5-0.
In the third, Jamori Blash led off with a double to right field then moved to third on a passed ball by Freddy Fermin. Jose Sanchez then singled to center field and Blash scored improving the Suns' lead to 6-0.
The Legends plated their only run of the game in the top of the fourth inning. Chase Vallot blasted a leadoff home run putting Lexington on the board, 6-1.
Hagerstown continued hitting in the bottom of the sixth. Pascal singled to left field then advanced to third on a single to right field by Marinconz. Pineda hit a ground ball to second baseman, Rubendy Jaquez, who committed a fielding error allowing Wilson to score and Marinconz to move to third. Rhinesmith grounded into a force out, scoring Marinconz and the Suns continued to lead 8-1.
Justin Connell was hit by a pitch to lead off the bottom of the seventh inning then advanced to third on a single by Wilson. With runners on the corners, Rhinesmith singled them both home and Hagerstown led, 10-1.
The Suns scored their final run in the bottom of the eighth inning. Pablo O'Connor led off with a single to center field then moved to second when Blash was hit by a pitch. Kyle Hinton then threw a wild pitch allowing O'Connor to move to third. Connell then popped up a sacrifice fly to right field and the Suns held onto the 11-1 lead. D
Joan Adon was awarded the victory tossing 5.0 innings allowing one run on seven hits while walking one and striking out four. Charlie Neuweiler was given the loss pitching 2.0 innings allowing five runs on five hits while walking four and striking out one.
The Legends and Suns face off for game two tomorrow, April 16 at 6:05pm. RHP Zach Haake (1-2, 2.00 ERA) will make the start for Lexington and Hagerstown will send LHP Tim Cate (0-1, 1.93 ERA) to the bump.
The Legends, a Class A affiliate of the Kansas City Royals and member of the South Atlantic League, play all home games at Whitaker Bank Ballpark in Lexington, Kentucky. For ticket information, call (859) 422-7867 or visit LexingtonLegends.com.
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from April 15, 2019
- Tona's Six-Out Save Seals Home Opening Win - Augusta GreenJackets
- Blazing-Hot Gasper Leads the Way in Win over Greenville - Charleston RiverDogs
- Drive Falls to Charleston in Series Opener on Monday - Greenville Drive
- Dirocie Homers in 9th as Columbia Beats Rome 3-2 - Rome Braves
- BlueClaws Fall in 11 on Monday in West Virginia - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Crawdads Blank Tourists in Series Opener - Hickory Crawdads
- Dirocie Sinks Rome with 9th-Inning Homer - Columbia Fireflies
- Lexington Drops Game One to Hagerstown - Lexington Legends
- Suns Spread Season-High 13 Hits in 11-1 Win - Hagerstown Suns
- Game Recap: Bats Go Quiet in Loss to Crawdads - Asheville Tourists
- Fireflies Roster Move and Game Notes: April 15 at Rome (Game 11) - Columbia Fireflies
- Willie Maciver Named South Atlantic League Player of the Week - Asheville Tourists
- Hagerstown Suns Game Notes - Hagerstown Suns
- Easter Egg Hunt this Saturday at McCormick Field - Asheville Tourists
- Game Notes (April 15) - West Virginia Power
- Rodriguez Named First SAL Pitcher of the Week - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Lexington Legends Announce Summer Concert Featuring Ludacris, Waka Flocka and More June 15 - Lexington Legends
- Rome Overcomes Early Deficit to Claim First Series Win of 2019 - Rome Braves
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Lexington Legends Stories
- Brooks Conrad Returns to Manage Reigning South Atlantic League Champions
- Lexington Legends Receive Bob Freitas Award as Top Single A Organization by Baseball America
- Tickets on Sale Now for Nitro Circus and First Athletes Announced
- Lexington Legends Praise Congressional Effort
- Lexington Legends and Bowling Green Hot Rods Announce 2020 Game at Whitaker Bank Ballpark