Drive Falls to Charleston in Series Opener on Monday
CHARLESTON, S.C. - The Greenville Drive (4-7) dropped the series opener to the Charleston Riverdogs (6-6), 6-2, on Monday night at Joseph P. Riley Jr. Ballpark.
The Riverdogs built an early lead with three runs in the bottom of the first. A lead-off solo home run by Brandon Lockridge got Charleston on the board. They would later add runs on a sac fly by Eric Wagaman and an RBI single by Canaan Smith to go up 3-0.
The Drive answered with lone runs in the third and fourth innings. Korby Batesole led off the third with a double and scored two batters later on a Charleston error. Jordan Wren then led off the fourth with a solo home run, his first of the season, to cut the lead to 3-2.
Charleston was able to pull away, though, adding a run in the fifth and two more in the seventh. Smith recorded a sac fly for his second RBI of the game to make 4-2 after the fifth. Mickey Gasper hit a lead-off home run in the seventh, his first of the season. Later in the inning, Nelson Gomez stole home on a double steal to push across the final run of the game for a 6-2 score.
Drive starter Alex Scherff (0-1) suffered his first loss of the season, allowing three runs, all in the first inning, on six hits and three walks against three strikeouts in 3.0 innings of work. Charleston starter Alexander Vizcaino (1-0) earned his first win of the year, working 5.0 innings and allowing two runs on three hits with nine strikeouts against two walks. The save went to Shawn Semple, his second of the season, as kept the Drive off the base paths in the final four innings.
Batesole, Wren and Tyler Esplin each recorded a hit for the Drive in the loss. Gasper led the Riverdogs at the plate, going 3-for-3 with a walk, a run and three RBI.
Game two of the series is set for a 7:05 PM first pitch on Tuesday. Thaddeus Ward (0-0, 2.70 ERA) will toe the rubber for Greenville, facing Roansy Contreras (2-0, 2.70 ERA) for Charleston.
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from April 15, 2019
- Tona's Six-Out Save Seals Home Opening Win - Augusta GreenJackets
- Blazing-Hot Gasper Leads the Way in Win over Greenville - Charleston RiverDogs
- Drive Falls to Charleston in Series Opener on Monday - Greenville Drive
- Dirocie Homers in 9th as Columbia Beats Rome 3-2 - Rome Braves
- BlueClaws Fall in 11 on Monday in West Virginia - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Crawdads Blank Tourists in Series Opener - Hickory Crawdads
- Dirocie Sinks Rome with 9th-Inning Homer - Columbia Fireflies
- Lexington Drops Game One to Hagerstown - Lexington Legends
- Suns Spread Season-High 13 Hits in 11-1 Win - Hagerstown Suns
- Game Recap: Bats Go Quiet in Loss to Crawdads - Asheville Tourists
- Fireflies Roster Move and Game Notes: April 15 at Rome (Game 11) - Columbia Fireflies
- Willie Maciver Named South Atlantic League Player of the Week - Asheville Tourists
- Hagerstown Suns Game Notes - Hagerstown Suns
- Easter Egg Hunt this Saturday at McCormick Field - Asheville Tourists
- Game Notes (April 15) - West Virginia Power
- Rodriguez Named First SAL Pitcher of the Week - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Lexington Legends Announce Summer Concert Featuring Ludacris, Waka Flocka and More June 15 - Lexington Legends
- Rome Overcomes Early Deficit to Claim First Series Win of 2019 - Rome Braves
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.