Lawhorn Is Fans' Choice for Top Third Baseman
SIOUX FALLS - Sioux Falls Pheasants/Canaries fans have made clear their choice for the team's all-time best third baseman. Trevor Lawhorn collected 78 percent of the online fan vote and has been named the third baseman for Sioux Falls' 20th-Anniversary Team.
In celebration of the franchise's 20th season, fans are determining the top players in history through online voting at the team's website, www.sfpheasants.com.
Lawhorn is the second player voted to the team that is active on the Pheasants' current roster, joining Joe Anthonsen (second base). He was selected over Tagg Bozied (2001), Grant Richardson (2008) and John Tsoukalas (1997).
On June 16, Trevor Lawhorn broke the all-time games played mark in Sioux Falls Pheasants/Canaries history, 320 set by Felix Pagan. Lawhorn has batted .279 in his Sioux Falls career with 40 home runs and 188 RBI. Earlier this season, Lawhorn also broke Pagan's all-time doubles record. He is third all-time with 365 hits. Lawhorn has played more games at third base than any other Sioux Falls player.
Lawhorn was a 2010 American Association all-star and MVP of the 2009 American Association All-Star Game. He played three seasons in the Cincinnati Reds organization before joining Sioux Falls for his first stint in 2007. The Washington Nationals signed him midway through the 2007 season. He rejoined Sioux Falls in 2009.
Earlier in June, the Argus-Leader named Lawhorn to their Sioux Falls Canaries/Pheasants All-Time Team.
The 20th-Anniversary Team will consist of two starting pitchers, two relief pitchers, one catcher, a representative from each infield position, three outfielders and a designated hitter. In addition, fans can vote for a manager.
More nominees and voting will occur throughout the season.
The Sioux Falls Pheasants are in their 20th season of independent professional baseball. Information about season tickets and group outings is available by calling (605) 336-6060 or visiting www.sfpheasants.com.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from July 5, 2012
- Bullpen Bodacious, Bats Still Burnin' as 'Dogs Edge Saints - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Milner, Irvine Help T-Bones Dominate Sioux Falls - Kansas City T-Bones
- Saints Lose Second Straight One Run Game, 9-8, to Saltdogs - St. Paul Saints
- Explorers win 4-2 - Sioux City Explorers
- Former Bird Gus Milner Leads Attack on Pheasants - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Fish Sunk Early by RedHawks - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- AirHogs Win Tight Game over Wingnuts - Wichita Wingnuts
- Salazar Shuts Down RailCats in 4-2 Loss - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Final Two Games of Homestand to Pack Plenty of Excitement - Grand Prairie AirHogs
- Saints Add Outfielder Miles Durham - St. Paul Saints
- Lawhorn Is Fans' Choice for Top Third Baseman - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Saints Giving 15,000 Fans a Chance to Spend Holiday Weekend at "The Cabin" - St. Paul Saints
- Lemurs Get Blasted In El Paso - Laredo Lemurs
- Late Runs Help AirHogs Put Away Wingnuts - Grand Prairie AirHogs
- Diablos Win Suspended Game, Blow Out Lemurs In Second Contest In Front Of Record Crowd - El Paso Diablos
- American Association Game Recaps - AA
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.