Salazar Shuts Down RailCats in 4-2 Loss
SIOUX CITY, Iowa - Explorers starter Richard Salazar held the RailCats hitless for the first six innings and limited them to a run in eight frames as the X's beat the RailCats 4-2 on Thursday night. Mike Rohde homered and drove in both runs for the RailCats. A night after exploding for 14 runs on 16 hits, the 'Cats mustered just two runs on four hits.
Mike Murphy's sac fly to right in the first gave the X's a 1-0 lead in the second against RailCats starter Will Krout. In the fifth, Yusuke Inoguchi hit a run-scoring single and Kris Sanchez belted a two-run double to give Sioux City a 4-0 lead.
Salazar walked Mike Coles in the first inning but retired the next 16 batters, carrying a no-hitter into the seventh. Mike Massaro ripped the first pitch of the seventh into center for a single to break up the no-hit bid. After Coles walked, Sean Henry hit a ground ball toward third and Wally Backman Jr. made a diving stop and threw to second for a fielder's choice. Rohde pulled a single to right to drive home Massaro. With two out and runners on the corners, Ryan Babineau hit a fly ball to right and was robbed of a hit and RBI on a spectacular diving catch by right fielder Mike Bisenius that kept the X's in front 4-1.
Salazar (4-6) allowed just a run on three hits in eight innings. He walked two and struck out five. Krout (0-3) gave up four runs in 7 1/3 for the RailCats.
Explorers closer Chris Bodishbaugh came on for the ninth and gave up a two-out solo homer to Rohde, his second of the season. Bodishbaugh hung on for his ninth save of the season, as the game lasted just two hours and 12 minutes, a season-low for the RailCats.
The series finale will be on Friday night at 7:05. Stephen Hiscock (1-4, 2.55) will take the ball for Gary.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from July 5, 2012
- Bullpen Bodacious, Bats Still Burnin' as 'Dogs Edge Saints - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Milner, Irvine Help T-Bones Dominate Sioux Falls - Kansas City T-Bones
- Saints Lose Second Straight One Run Game, 9-8, to Saltdogs - St. Paul Saints
- Explorers win 4-2 - Sioux City Explorers
- Former Bird Gus Milner Leads Attack on Pheasants - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Fish Sunk Early by RedHawks - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- AirHogs Win Tight Game over Wingnuts - Wichita Wingnuts
- Salazar Shuts Down RailCats in 4-2 Loss - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Final Two Games of Homestand to Pack Plenty of Excitement - Grand Prairie AirHogs
- Saints Add Outfielder Miles Durham - St. Paul Saints
- Lawhorn Is Fans' Choice for Top Third Baseman - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Saints Giving 15,000 Fans a Chance to Spend Holiday Weekend at "The Cabin" - St. Paul Saints
- Lemurs Get Blasted In El Paso - Laredo Lemurs
- Late Runs Help AirHogs Put Away Wingnuts - Grand Prairie AirHogs
- Diablos Win Suspended Game, Blow Out Lemurs In Second Contest In Front Of Record Crowd - El Paso Diablos
- American Association Game Recaps - AA
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Gary SouthShore Railcats Stories
- RailCats Season Pass Offers Unlimited Fun in All-New General Admission Seat
- RailCats End Season with First Home Sweep, Shutout Saltdogs, 3-0
- Lubking, De Jesus Lead 'Cats to 3-1 Victory over Saltdogs in Penultimate Game
- Griffin, Bullpen Blank Saltdogs,2-0, in Series Opener
- RailCats Swept by Goldeyes in Final Road Game of Season