Salazar Shuts Down RailCats in 4-2 Loss
SIOUX CITY, Iowa - Explorers starter Richard Salazar held the RailCats hitless for the first six innings and limited them to a run in eight frames as the X's beat the RailCats 4-2 on Thursday night. Mike Rohde homered and drove in both runs for the RailCats. A night after exploding for 14 runs on 16 hits, the 'Cats mustered just two runs on four hits.
Mike Murphy's sac fly to right in the first gave the X's a 1-0 lead in the second against RailCats starter Will Krout. In the fifth, Yusuke Inoguchi hit a run-scoring single and Kris Sanchez belted a two-run double to give Sioux City a 4-0 lead.
Salazar walked Mike Coles in the first inning but retired the next 16 batters, carrying a no-hitter into the seventh. Mike Massaro ripped the first pitch of the seventh into center for a single to break up the no-hit bid. After Coles walked, Sean Henry hit a ground ball toward third and Wally Backman Jr. made a diving stop and threw to second for a fielder's choice. Rohde pulled a single to right to drive home Massaro. With two out and runners on the corners, Ryan Babineau hit a fly ball to right and was robbed of a hit and RBI on a spectacular diving catch by right fielder Mike Bisenius that kept the X's in front 4-1.
Salazar (4-6) allowed just a run on three hits in eight innings. He walked two and struck out five. Krout (0-3) gave up four runs in 7 1/3 for the RailCats.
Explorers closer Chris Bodishbaugh came on for the ninth and gave up a two-out solo homer to Rohde, his second of the season. Bodishbaugh hung on for his ninth save of the season, as the game lasted just two hours and 12 minutes, a season-low for the RailCats.
The series finale will be on Friday night at 7:05. Stephen Hiscock (1-4, 2.55) will take the ball for Gary.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from July 5, 2012
- Bullpen Bodacious, Bats Still Burnin' as 'Dogs Edge Saints - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Milner, Irvine Help T-Bones Dominate Sioux Falls - Kansas City Monarchs
- Saints Lose Second Straight One Run Game, 9-8, to Saltdogs - St. Paul Saints
- Explorers win 4-2 - Sioux City Explorers
- Former Bird Gus Milner Leads Attack on Pheasants - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Fish Sunk Early by RedHawks - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- AirHogs Win Tight Game over Wingnuts - Wichita Wingnuts
- Salazar Shuts Down RailCats in 4-2 Loss - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Final Two Games of Homestand to Pack Plenty of Excitement - Grand Prairie AirHogs
- Saints Add Outfielder Miles Durham - St. Paul Saints
- Lawhorn Is Fans' Choice for Top Third Baseman - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Saints Giving 15,000 Fans a Chance to Spend Holiday Weekend at "The Cabin" - St. Paul Saints
- Lemurs Get Blasted In El Paso - Laredo Lemurs
- Late Runs Help AirHogs Put Away Wingnuts - Grand Prairie AirHogs
- Diablos Win Suspended Game, Blow Out Lemurs In Second Contest In Front Of Record Crowd - El Paso Diablos
- American Association Game Recaps - AA
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.