AirHogs Win Tight Game over Wingnuts
GRAND PRAIRIE, TX- The Wichita Wingnuts (31-14) lost 3-1 to the Grand Prairie AirHogs (33-13) at QuikTrip Park on Thursday night.
AirHogs' starter Nick DeBarr struck out seven over eight strong innings to earn the win. DeBarr scattered six hits, and did not allow a walk.
Grand Prairie used a pair of fourth-inning home runs to erase a 1-0 Wingnuts' lead. Greg Porter led off with a groundball single to center field and came home when Chris McMurray lined a two-run homer to left-center. Two batters later, David Thomas drove a solo shot down the left field line to provide the game's final margin.
DeBarr escaped a bases loaded jam in the top of the eighth, while Justin Dowdy worked around two walks in the ninth to earn the save.
Wichita's lone run came in the top of the second. David Peralta doubled down the right field line with one out. Jared McDonald doubled home Peralta on a line drive to deep center.
Jeff Nadeau started for the Wingnuts and took the loss. Nadeau allowed three earned runs on nine hits in five innings. Nadeau walked one and struck out four.
Andrew Aizenstadt and Matt Nevarez combined for three shutout relief innings. DeBarr recorded 13 groundball outs in the win. Seven of the Wingnuts' starters reached base at least once.
The series concludes Friday night at 7:05 p.m. Josh Lowey takes on right-hander Josh Strawn. All the action can be heard locally on Oldies 92.7 KWME and worldwide at www.pressboxproductionsradio.com
The Wingnuts return home on Wednesday, July 11th when they host the Kansas City T-Bones. Individual tickets can be purchased by calling (316) 755-SEAT, or by visiting www.selectaseat.com
For season tickets, group outings, and party packages, call the Wingnuts' main office at (316) 264-NUTS, or visit the Wingnuts' official website at www.wichitawingnuts.com.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from July 5, 2012
- Bullpen Bodacious, Bats Still Burnin' as 'Dogs Edge Saints - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Milner, Irvine Help T-Bones Dominate Sioux Falls - Kansas City T-Bones
- Saints Lose Second Straight One Run Game, 9-8, to Saltdogs - St. Paul Saints
- Explorers win 4-2 - Sioux City Explorers
- Former Bird Gus Milner Leads Attack on Pheasants - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Fish Sunk Early by RedHawks - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- AirHogs Win Tight Game over Wingnuts - Wichita Wingnuts
- Salazar Shuts Down RailCats in 4-2 Loss - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Final Two Games of Homestand to Pack Plenty of Excitement - Grand Prairie AirHogs
- Saints Add Outfielder Miles Durham - St. Paul Saints
- Lawhorn Is Fans' Choice for Top Third Baseman - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Saints Giving 15,000 Fans a Chance to Spend Holiday Weekend at "The Cabin" - St. Paul Saints
- Lemurs Get Blasted In El Paso - Laredo Lemurs
- Late Runs Help AirHogs Put Away Wingnuts - Grand Prairie AirHogs
- Diablos Win Suspended Game, Blow Out Lemurs In Second Contest In Front Of Record Crowd - El Paso Diablos
- American Association Game Recaps - AA
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.