Bullpen Bodacious, Bats Still Burnin' as 'Dogs Edge Saints
ST. PAUL, Minn. -- The bullpen was outstanding, and the middle of the order remained toasty as the Saltdogs (19-27) edged the St. Paul Saints (21-23) 9-8 in front of 3,020 fans at Midway Stadium Thursday night.
David Espinosa hit a two-out, flair single into center field to score pinch runner Brad Payne and give the 'Dogs the ultimate 9-8 lead in the top of the eighth.
Starter Wade Mackey left with an apparent groin injury in the second inning, and the relievers picked him up in a big way: going a combined 7 2/3 innings while allowing just one earned run and striking out nine.
Travis Parker went 3 2/3 innings, allowing one earned, two total, on three hits. Brandon Cooney (2-2) struck out the side in the seventh to earn the win. P.J. Zocchi fanned the side in a hitless ninth to book his 11th save. Conor Spink and Pete Parise worked hitless frames of middle relief.
The 'Dogs took an early 6-0 lead but Saints rallied for six runs in the bottom of the second to tie the game.
John Alonso finished 2-for-4 with a home run and four RBI. Espinosa went 3-for-4 with a run, a double and four RBI. Mike Provencher and Asif Shah also added three hits in the winning effort.
The Saltdogs have 53 hits so far through three games of the series.
Chris Odegaard (1-5) allowed a run on two hits in 2 2/3 innings to take the loss.
The teams meet again Friday night at 7:05 p.m. for the finale of the four-game series. Ricardo Estevez (0-1, 7.20) is expected to pitch against Robert Coe (4-3, 4.13). Radio coverage begins at 6:35 p.m. on KFOR 1240.
The inaugural Haymarket Park Beer Fest is going down on July 21! For more information please visit www.haymarketparkbeerfest.com.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from July 5, 2012
- Bullpen Bodacious, Bats Still Burnin' as 'Dogs Edge Saints - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Milner, Irvine Help T-Bones Dominate Sioux Falls - Kansas City T-Bones
- Saints Lose Second Straight One Run Game, 9-8, to Saltdogs - St. Paul Saints
- Explorers win 4-2 - Sioux City Explorers
- Former Bird Gus Milner Leads Attack on Pheasants - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Fish Sunk Early by RedHawks - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- AirHogs Win Tight Game over Wingnuts - Wichita Wingnuts
- Salazar Shuts Down RailCats in 4-2 Loss - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Final Two Games of Homestand to Pack Plenty of Excitement - Grand Prairie AirHogs
- Saints Add Outfielder Miles Durham - St. Paul Saints
- Lawhorn Is Fans' Choice for Top Third Baseman - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Saints Giving 15,000 Fans a Chance to Spend Holiday Weekend at "The Cabin" - St. Paul Saints
- Lemurs Get Blasted In El Paso - Laredo Lemurs
- Late Runs Help AirHogs Put Away Wingnuts - Grand Prairie AirHogs
- Diablos Win Suspended Game, Blow Out Lemurs In Second Contest In Front Of Record Crowd - El Paso Diablos
- American Association Game Recaps - AA
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.