Former Bird Gus Milner Leads Attack on Pheasants
KANSAS CITY, Kan. - On Thursday night, Gus Milner showed why he was so valuable in a Sioux Falls Pheasants uniform for the past two seasons.
The former Pheasants outfielder led a Kansas City T-Bones' offensive onslaught that cracked 15 hits and belted four home runs in a 13-1 defeat of the Pheasants. Milner finished 3-for-5 with three runs scored, a home run and three RBI.
Kansas City (26-21) scored twice in the first inning on Brandon Jones' sacrifice fly and Enrique Cruz' two-out single.
Jake Taylor hit a solo home run in the second inning, his second of the year, but the Pheasants (25-20) came no closer. The round-tripper was the only extra-base hit out of just four Sioux Falls hits.
Milner hit a two-run home run to straightaway center field in the bottom of the second, extending the lead to 4-1. The T-Bones exploded for seven runs in the sixth, including Enrique Cruz' three-run home run. Brandon Jones and Ray Sadler hit back-to-back solo home runs in the eighth to finish the Kansas City scoring.
Kansas City starter Lucas Irvine (1-0) earned his first professional win by holding the Pheasants to one run in seven innings. He struck out nine against just three walks.
Pheasants starter Mark Michael (5-3) snapped a four-game winning streak with the loss. He tossed 5 1/3 innings and allowed eight runs on 10 hits. He walked three and struck out five.
Despite the loss, the Pheasants remain one game out of first place in the North Division after Winnipeg lost their fourth straight game Thursday night.
The Pheasants seek a split of the four-game series at 7:05 p.m. on Friday, July 6, in Kansas City. The game will be broadcast on Sioux Falls Sports Radio 1230-AM and www.kwsn.com.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from July 5, 2012
- Bullpen Bodacious, Bats Still Burnin' as 'Dogs Edge Saints - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Milner, Irvine Help T-Bones Dominate Sioux Falls - Kansas City T-Bones
- Saints Lose Second Straight One Run Game, 9-8, to Saltdogs - St. Paul Saints
- Explorers win 4-2 - Sioux City Explorers
- Former Bird Gus Milner Leads Attack on Pheasants - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Fish Sunk Early by RedHawks - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- AirHogs Win Tight Game over Wingnuts - Wichita Wingnuts
- Salazar Shuts Down RailCats in 4-2 Loss - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Final Two Games of Homestand to Pack Plenty of Excitement - Grand Prairie AirHogs
- Saints Add Outfielder Miles Durham - St. Paul Saints
- Lawhorn Is Fans' Choice for Top Third Baseman - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Saints Giving 15,000 Fans a Chance to Spend Holiday Weekend at "The Cabin" - St. Paul Saints
- Lemurs Get Blasted In El Paso - Laredo Lemurs
- Late Runs Help AirHogs Put Away Wingnuts - Grand Prairie AirHogs
- Diablos Win Suspended Game, Blow Out Lemurs In Second Contest In Front Of Record Crowd - El Paso Diablos
- American Association Game Recaps - AA
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.