Saints Add Outfielder Miles Durham
ST. PAUL, MN (July 5, 2012) - Despite the 27 runs scored in the last two games by the St. Paul Saints their offense is 10th, in the American Association's 13-team league, in runs scored. Looking to add a little offensive help the Saints went out and signed an outfielder with Triple-A experience, Miles Durham.
The-29-year old Durham has spent his entire baseball career with the Pittsburgh Pirates organization and split this season between Double-A Altoona and Triple-A Indianapolis. He was hitting .232 with two homers and 16 RBI in 59 games. In 177 at bats he scored 26 runs, roped 12 doubles, two triples with a .289 on base percentage and a .356 slugging percentage.
Durham took an interesting route towards being a 22nd round draft pick by the Pirates in 2006 out of Northwestern State University of Louisiana. After high school he gave up baseball for two years to concentrate on football. He was the quarterback at Texas A&M-Commerce, but after two seasons of injuries and a struggling team on the gridiron he and some friends visited the baseball coaching staff at Northwestern State. He was offered a walk on spot and played from 2004-06 and then was drafted by the Pirates.
After not seeing much playing time in 2006 or 2007 his career took off in 2008. He hit .348 with 14 homers and 58 RBI in 72 games at Single-A Hickory. Those numbers earned him a spot in the South Atlantic League All-Star game and a promotion to High-A Lynchburg.
After a solid .275 average in 2009 and showing power in 2010 with 10 homers, both at Double-A Altoona, he finally got some time at Triple-A Indianapolis in 2011. He split time between Double-A and Triple in last season.
The Saints roster stands at the league maximum 22, 10 pitchers and 12 position players.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from July 5, 2012
- Bullpen Bodacious, Bats Still Burnin' as 'Dogs Edge Saints - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Milner, Irvine Help T-Bones Dominate Sioux Falls - Kansas City T-Bones
- Saints Lose Second Straight One Run Game, 9-8, to Saltdogs - St. Paul Saints
- Explorers win 4-2 - Sioux City Explorers
- Former Bird Gus Milner Leads Attack on Pheasants - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Fish Sunk Early by RedHawks - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- AirHogs Win Tight Game over Wingnuts - Wichita Wingnuts
- Salazar Shuts Down RailCats in 4-2 Loss - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Final Two Games of Homestand to Pack Plenty of Excitement - Grand Prairie AirHogs
- Saints Add Outfielder Miles Durham - St. Paul Saints
- Lawhorn Is Fans' Choice for Top Third Baseman - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Saints Giving 15,000 Fans a Chance to Spend Holiday Weekend at "The Cabin" - St. Paul Saints
- Lemurs Get Blasted In El Paso - Laredo Lemurs
- Late Runs Help AirHogs Put Away Wingnuts - Grand Prairie AirHogs
- Diablos Win Suspended Game, Blow Out Lemurs In Second Contest In Front Of Record Crowd - El Paso Diablos
- American Association Game Recaps - AA
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent St. Paul Saints Stories
- Saints Turn to Fans Once Again for Name the Pig Contest Presented by Star Tribune
- American Association Finals MVP Chesny Young Re-Signs with Saints
- Saints Roll out #ClassicSaintsCommunity Series to Benefit Local Charities
- Nothing Trashy About the Saints 2020 Promotions, All 50 Will Leave Fans Buzzing During the Summer
- Armed and Ready, Saints Add Familiar Hurler to Rotation Sign Matt Solter