Late Curve Rally Thwarts Thunder, 6-5
ALTOONA, PA - Altoona grabbed two runs off the Thunder bullpen in the eighth inning to avoid a sweep at the hands of the Thunder in a 6-5 decision on Wednesday night at Peoples Natural Gas Field.
After a 46-minute rain delay began the night, Altoona held a 4-0 advantage after three innings of play. Right-hander Adonis Rosa went 4.1 innings in a starting role and allowed three hits, three walks and struck out five on 79 pitches. Rosa struck out each of the last four batters he faced before handing things off to James Reeves and the bullpen.
The Thunder drew closer with a run scored against Brandon Waddell in the fifth inning and pulled ahead with a four-run sixth inning. RBI singles by Rashad Crawford and Gosuke Katoh drew the game to a 4-3 margin and spelled the end of the night for Waddell who went 5.1 innings for the Curve. Matt Lipka put the Thunder ahead with a two-run single off Jesus Liranzo to take the 5-4 lead.
Reeves held the Curve off the board until surrendering a leadoff triple in the eighth inning to Jared Oliva; his second triple of the game. Logan Hill then singled through a drawn-in infield to tie the game at five. Brooks Kriske relieved Reeves with one out and allowed a single to put men on the corners, that set up Jerick Suiter to reach on a fielders choice and bring the go-ahead run home.
The Thunder got a two-out walk from Hoy Jun Park in the ninth and he stole second to put himself in scoring position, however, Jorge Saez flied out to right to end the game.
Park matched his career-high for the second time in the series with three walks and stole two bases in the defeat. Katoh, Park and Lipka had multi-hit games to lead the Thunder offense.
Your Thunder continue return to ARM & HAMMER Park on Thursday night at 7:00pm against the Hartford Yard Goats. RHP Rony Garcia (2-7, 4.65) will start for the Thunder, RHP Matt Dennis (0-1, 5.48) will go for Hartford. Pre-game coverage begins at 6:40pm on 920 AM The Jersey and online www.TrentonThunder.com/Broadcast.
• Discuss this story on the Eastern League message board...
Eastern League Stories from July 17, 2019
- Late Curve Rally Thwarts Thunder, 6-5 - Trenton Thunder
- Early Runs Set up Erie Sweep - Akron RubberDucks
- Senators Salvage Finale with Bowie - Harrisburg Senators
- Reading Takes Suspended Contest, Second Game Rained Out - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Portland Takes Series with a 10-4 Win on Wednesday Afternoon - Portland Sea Dogs
- Senators Salvage 5-3 Win in Series Finale - Bowie Baysox
- Fightins Outlast Ponies in Rainy Binghamton, 8-6 - Reading Fightin Phils
- Fisher Cats Take 10-4 Loss to Portland on Wednesday - New Hampshire Fisher Cats
- Howard, Johnson Eat up Goats - Hartford Yard Goats
- Funkhouser Strong as SeaWolves Sweep RubberDucks - Erie SeaWolves
- Celtics' Romeo Langford Coming to Hadlock on August 20th - Portland Sea Dogs
- Flying Squirrels Back Home Thursday to Begin Seven-Day Homestand - Richmond Flying Squirrels
- Rumble Ponies Game Notes: #93 Rumble Ponies (12-15) vs. Reading Fightin Phils (17-9) - 12:05PM - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Erie SeaWolves vs. Akron RubberDucks - Game Notes - Erie SeaWolves
- Sea Dogs Game Notes July 17th at New Hampshire - Portland Sea Dogs
- SeaWolves Take Down Ducks, Win Third Straight - Erie SeaWolves
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.