Fightins Outlast Ponies in Rainy Binghamton, 8-6
(BINGHAMTON, NY) - The Reading Fightin Phils held off the Binghamton Rumble Ponies after a drawn-out middle game of a scheduled three-game set at NYSEG Stadium, completing Tuesday's suspended contest with an 8-6 win on Wednesday afternoon. The series finale was postponed due to rain, with the makeup date yet to be announced.
Reading (18-9) (57-37) earned the shortened series sweep after a 3:21 minute contest - the longest nine-inning road game of the season - in addition to two hours and eight minutes worth of rain delays.
The game resumed on Wednesday with Reading up 4-0 in the middle of the fourth inning.
Luis Carrasco took over making his Double-A debut, but the Rumble Ponies (12-16) (47-45) greeted him with a walk, single, and a David Thompson RBI double.
The Fightins quickly went to the bullpen and called upon Aaron Brown (4-4), who permitted an RBI single to Jason Krizan which cut the lead to 4-2. Brown got Andres Gimenez to fly to right for the first out, and struck out Luis Carpio. Quinn Brodey then worked a walk to fill the bases, and pinch hitter Gavin Cecchini lined a single to center.
The hit scored Thompson, but Mickey Moniak fired a strong throw from center to nab Krizan at the plate and prevent the tying run from crossing.
Moniak led off the fifth inning with a single to right off reliever Blake Taylor, and stole second. With two down Stephen drew a walk, and Austin Bossart crushed his third home run of the series with a three-run shot to left that made it 7-3 Fightins.
Barrett Barnes launched a two-out solo homer in the bottom of the fifth to make it 7-4, and the Rumble Ponies brought the tying run to the plate after Thompson singled and Krizan doubled. Brown got Gimenez to fly out to center just before the skies opened up, and the game entered another delay.
The contest resumed again 20 minutes later, and the Fightins maintained a three-run lead until the bottom of the seventh.
Barnes drew a two-out walk against Grant Dyer, and Thompson was hit by a pitch. Krizan then came through with a two-run double to left-center to cut the lead to 7-6.
Reading filled the bases on two walks and an infield single from Bohm in the ninth, and Jose Gomez's double play ball pushed home Williams to give the Fightins extra breathing room, leading 8-6.
Jeff Singer earned his second save, working 2.1 scoreless in relief.
Reading returns to FirstEnergy Stadium for a weeklong homestand beginning on Thursday, with game one against the New Hampshire Fisher Cats at 7:10 p.m. The game will be broadcast on 610 ESPN and the Fightins radio network starting at 6:45 p.m.
America's Classic Ballpark is proud to be a part of Pennsylvania's Americana Region and was voted the #1 stadium in all of Double-A by MiLB's Ben Hill. Follow the Fightins on Twitter at @ReadingFightins and like them on Facebook via www.facebook.com/fightins. Purchase tickets TODAY - call or TEXT 610-370-BALL, and download the Fightins game and promotional schedule at fightins.com/calendar.
• Discuss this story on the Eastern League message board...
Eastern League Stories from July 17, 2019
- Late Curve Rally Thwarts Thunder, 6-5 - Trenton Thunder
- Early Runs Set up Erie Sweep - Akron RubberDucks
- Senators Salvage Finale with Bowie - Harrisburg Senators
- Reading Takes Suspended Contest, Second Game Rained Out - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Portland Takes Series with a 10-4 Win on Wednesday Afternoon - Portland Sea Dogs
- Senators Salvage 5-3 Win in Series Finale - Bowie Baysox
- Fightins Outlast Ponies in Rainy Binghamton, 8-6 - Reading Fightin Phils
- Fisher Cats Take 10-4 Loss to Portland on Wednesday - New Hampshire Fisher Cats
- Howard, Johnson Eat up Goats - Hartford Yard Goats
- Funkhouser Strong as SeaWolves Sweep RubberDucks - Erie SeaWolves
- Celtics' Romeo Langford Coming to Hadlock on August 20th - Portland Sea Dogs
- Flying Squirrels Back Home Thursday to Begin Seven-Day Homestand - Richmond Flying Squirrels
- Rumble Ponies Game Notes: #93 Rumble Ponies (12-15) vs. Reading Fightin Phils (17-9) - 12:05PM - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Erie SeaWolves vs. Akron RubberDucks - Game Notes - Erie SeaWolves
- Sea Dogs Game Notes July 17th at New Hampshire - Portland Sea Dogs
- SeaWolves Take Down Ducks, Win Third Straight - Erie SeaWolves
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.