Late Comeback Falls Short
WINSTON SALEM, NC - Another late comeback fell short as the Frederick Keys (5-14, 34-54) dropped a 3-2 contest against the Winston-Salem Dash (8-11, 46-37) on Monday night at BB&T Ballpark. Trailing 3-1 in the ninth, the Keys climbed two aboard for Pat Dorrian, who delivered an RBI single to cut the deficit to one run. The Keys were unable to convert with the tying run on second and one-out. The loss is the eighth straight for Frederick, tying a season-high.
Jorgan Cavanerio silenced the Keys offense for the first six innings as he dueled Brenan Hanifee back and forth. Hanifee allowed a run in the second inning as Carlos Perez singled in Zach Remillard, but he was solid throughout. He struck out a pair in the second and third innings and picked up strikeouts in the fourth and sixth frames amid stranded base hits.
It was not until the top of the seventh that the Keys got on the board. After working a 3-1 count, J.C. Escarra crushed a towering shot that travelled 453-feet and tied the game at 1-1. Jomar Reyes followed with a double that hit the top of the wall in centerfield and he advanced to third on a groundout. He was stranded there, however, as Cavanerio polished off the seventh.
The Dash responded in the bottom of the inning. Jameson Fisher led off with a single and Hanifee got Remillard to hit a ground ball to third, but the Dash shortstop beat the relay throw to break up the double play. On the next pitch, Craig Dedelow lined a triple down the right field line that scored the go-ahead run to make it 2-1 Dash.
Hanifee (4-9) retired the next two batters to end the frame. The 21-year-old took the loss after allowing two runs on seven hits and striking out six over seven innings. He did not walk a batter.
In the eighth inning, Tate Blackman smashed a solo home run on the first pitch he saw from Luis Perez to make it 3-1 Dash. Perez allowed a double to Tyler Frost but then sat down the side.
In the ninth, Escarra worked a walk followed by a Reyes single to put runners at first and second for Dorrian, but Will Kincanon (S, 3) buckled down after allowing a run to close out the game.
Cavanerio (5-0) picked up his fifth straight win after allowing one run on four hits in seven innings.
The Keys finish their three-game set against the Dash on Tuesday night before returning home to Nymeo Field for a six-game homestand. LHP Cameron Bishop (0-6, 5.03) takes the mound for Frederick opposite RHP Jonathan Stiever (1-2, 2.84) for Winston Salem. First pitch is scheduled for 7:00pm. Pregame coverage is set to start at 6:45pm on frederickkeys.com and the Tune In radio app.
• Discuss this story on the Carolina League message board...
Carolina League Stories from July 8, 2019
- Late Lynchburg Rally Falls Short on Monday - Lynchburg Hillcats
- Cavanerio, Timely Hitting Lead Dash to 3-2 Win on Monday - Winston-Salem Dash
- Late Comeback Falls Short - Frederick Keys
- Terry, Martinez Power Woodies Past Pelicans In Rain-Shortened Contest - Down East Wood Ducks
- Down East Wins Rain-Shortened Contest over Pelicans - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- Wilmington Drops Two in Salem - Wilmington Blue Rocks
- July 8 - Carolina Mudcats Game Information - Carolina Mudcats
- Myrtle Beach Pelicans Game Notes: July 8 vs. Down East - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- July 8 Transactions and Game Information - Down East Wood Ducks
- Jones Promoted to Double-A Akron - Lynchburg Hillcats
- Winston-Salem Dash: Game Notes (July 8 vs. Frederick) - Winston-Salem Dash
- Woodpeckers and Nationals Postponed - Fayetteville Woodpeckers
- Former Wood Duck Pedro Payano Makes MLB Debut for Rangers - Down East Wood Ducks
- INF Brice Turang assigned from Low-A Wisconsin to the Mudcats - Carolina Mudcats
- Reyes Named Carolina League Player of the Week - Frederick Keys
- Alex Eubanks Named Carolina League Pitcher of the Week - Down East Wood Ducks
- Sam Huff Named MVP of SiriusXM Futures Game - Down East Wood Ducks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Frederick Keys Stories
- Keys Announce 2022 Initial Promo Schedule
- Keys Announce 2022 MLB Draft League Initial Roster
- Keys Name Joe Oliver Manager, Coaching Staff for 2022 Season
- Frederick Keys 2022 Home Game Times Released
- Attain Sports and Entertainment Acquires Bowie Baysox and Frederick Keys