Langford, Tacko Dominate Blue Coats in Season Opener
Wilmington, DE - The Maine Red Claws, presented by Unum, impressed in all areas of their 2019-20 season opener, dominating the Delaware Blue Coats in a wire-to-wire win, 148-125.
The Red Claws set a franchise record for points in a game, eclipsing the previous mark of 147 points set in 2016.
Maine (1-0) was led by Boston Celtics Two-Way Player Tremont Waters, who finished with 28 points, including 7-11 from downtown. Celtics assignee Romeo Langford added 27 points (10-15 FG), 5 rebounds, 2 assists and 6 blocked shots. Yante Maten scored 24 points in the win, and Two-Way Player Tacko Fall added 13 points, 11 boards and 3 blocks in the win.
Delaware (0-1) was led by Marial Shayok, who finished with a game-high 34 points.
The Red Claws started the game hot, with Waters draining two quick three-pointers. Fall checked into the game early, and showed off his athleticism on both ends of the floor, with a monster block on one end, and a three-point play the other way. Langford was very active on defense, and helped pace the Red Claws as one of five players with 6 points in the first quarter. After a big run, Maine finished with a 37-20 lead after 1. Delaware shot just 1-10 from downtown against the Red Claws swarming D.
In the 2nd, Maine did not let its foot off the gas pedal, continuing its dominating performance. The Red Claws put up 37 more points, led by Langford, Fall and Maten. Langford's block led to him scoring a three - and he finished with 16 points on 7-10 shooting in the first half. The Red Claws had a commanding 74-50 lead at the break - Langford led Maine with 16, Maten added 13, and Fall had 11 points and 8 boards. The Red Claws shot 51.8% (29-56) from the field in the first half. The Blue Coats were led by Shayok who had 23 in the first half, but Delaware shot just 33.3% (16-48) from the floor.
Bryce Brown opened the 3rd by burying a triple. Waters followed that up with a trey of his own. Langford drove to the basket and scored on two straight possessions, pushing the Red Claws lead to 30. The Blue Coats mounted a comeback, but Maten drained a triple to right the ship late in the period. Maten finished the quarter with a put-back slam, and the Red Claws led 111-80.
In the 4th, Waters found Tacko for an easy lay-up. Xavier Munford's three-point play cut the deficit to 21, but Brown answered with a three the other way. Langford went on a personal 4-0 run. The Blue Coats got back into the game at the free throw line, cutting the deficit to 17. Waters stopped that with a three, and Trey Davis fed Justin Bibbs for an easy lay-up to make it 130-108. Waters' four-point play put the game away for good.
Maine shot 50.5% (53-105) from the field, 43.1% (22-51) from three-point range, and 12-16 from the free throw line. Delaware shot 44.8% (43-96) from the floor, 37.5% (12-32) from beyond the arc, and 14-20 from the charity stripe.
The Red Claws return home for opening weekend at the Expo on Friday, Nov. 15 vs. Fort Wayne and Sunday, Nov. 17 vs. Raptors 905. Tickets are on sale now by calling 207-210-6655 or visiting MaineRedClaws.com.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from November 9, 2019
- Free Throws Doom Suns in Season Opening Loss - Northern Arizona Suns
- Vipers Drop Home Opener to Austin - Rio Grande Valley Vipers
- Hustle Sweep Back-To-Back with Texas Legends - Memphis Hustle
- Trio Grabs Double-Doubles, But South Bay Falls in Season Opener - South Bay Lakers
- Blue Coats Fall to Red Claws in Season Opener - Delaware Blue Coats
- Drive Fall to Go-Go in DC - Grand Rapids Drive
- BayHawks Split Opening Weekend Homstand; Fall to Greensboro - Erie BayHawks
- GAME RECAP: Nets Get First Win of Season in Fort Wayne - Fort Wayne Mad Ants
- Last Second Free Throws Lift Clippers over Suns in Season Opener - Agua Caliente Clippers
- Canton Charges Past Lakeland for Season Opening Victory - Canton Charge
- Langford, Tacko Dominate Blue Coats in Season Opener - Maine Red Claws
- Knicks Home Opener Postponed Due to Court Damage - Westchester Knicks
- Timberwolves Assign Jaylen Nowell to G League Affiliate Iowa Wolves - Iowa Wolves
- Pelicans Transfer Josh Gray from the Erie BayHawks - Erie BayHawks
- Stockton Kings Dominate Santa Cruz Warriors 122-97 in Season Opener - Stockton Kings
- Santa Cruz Warriors Drop Season Opener 122-97 against the Stockton Kings - Santa Cruz Warriors
- Valentine, Gafford Lead Bulls over Herd, 129-111 - Windy City Bulls
- Austin Spurs Fall to Rio Grande Valley Vipers on Opening Night - Austin Spurs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.