Drive Fall to Go-Go in DC
WASHINGTON, DC - The Capital City Go-Go (1-0) held off the Grand Rapids Drive (1-1) on Saturday night in a game that had several momentum swings between the two squads. The Go-Go held an early lead in the first quarter and held the upper hand throughout the night, fighting off a fourth quarter comeback by the Drive to claim the 109-98 victory in front of the Go-Go's home crowd.
Jalen Jones was a key component for the Go-Go, scoring 30 points, 7 rebounds and 2 assists. Admiral Schofield, assigned by the Washington Wizards earlier in the day, also dominated the floor by shooting 50% from the field, earning a solid double-double with 20 points and 12 rebounds. Chris Chiozza added 20 points, 7 rebounds and 5 assists for the home team.
Pistons two-way player Jordan Bone, who returned from a stint with Detroit, finished with 19 points, 7 assists, 4 rebounds and 2 steals in his Drive debut. Bone picked up the pace in the third quarter by accounting for 9 points and 2 assists. After nearly a 20-minute delay in the third quarter due to a bent rim, the Go-Go ended the third with an 87-71 lead.
The Drive applied pressure with a full court press in the fourth quarter that resulted in a 17-4 run to cut the lead to just 3, but missed free throws stifled the team's momentum. The G League's new free throw rule has been an important factor in the first two games for Grand Rapids.
Craig Sword hustled to gain momentum for the Drive by putting up a team-high 21 points to go along with 4 rebounds and 4 steals. Other Drive players who finished in double figures included Sekou Doumbouya (18pts & 3reb) and Louis King (12pts & 3reb).
The Drive will finish off their three-game road stretch and visit the Canton Charge on Wednesday night. Capital City will compete on Wednesday as well, taking on the Wisconsin Herd in Oshkosh.
Full Game Highlights >>> https://bit.ly/2CvrneY
Box Score >>> http://on.nba.com/2K65UNY
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from November 9, 2019
- Free Throws Doom Suns in Season Opening Loss - Northern Arizona Suns
- Vipers Drop Home Opener to Austin - Rio Grande Valley Vipers
- Hustle Sweep Back-To-Back with Texas Legends - Memphis Hustle
- Trio Grabs Double-Doubles, But South Bay Falls in Season Opener - South Bay Lakers
- Blue Coats Fall to Red Claws in Season Opener - Delaware Blue Coats
- Drive Fall to Go-Go in DC - Grand Rapids Drive
- BayHawks Split Opening Weekend Homstand; Fall to Greensboro - Erie BayHawks
- GAME RECAP: Nets Get First Win of Season in Fort Wayne - Fort Wayne Mad Ants
- Last Second Free Throws Lift Clippers over Suns in Season Opener - Agua Caliente Clippers
- Canton Charges Past Lakeland for Season Opening Victory - Canton Charge
- Langford, Tacko Dominate Blue Coats in Season Opener - Maine Red Claws
- Knicks Home Opener Postponed Due to Court Damage - Westchester Knicks
- Timberwolves Assign Jaylen Nowell to G League Affiliate Iowa Wolves - Iowa Wolves
- Pelicans Transfer Josh Gray from the Erie BayHawks - Erie BayHawks
- Stockton Kings Dominate Santa Cruz Warriors 122-97 in Season Opener - Stockton Kings
- Santa Cruz Warriors Drop Season Opener 122-97 against the Stockton Kings - Santa Cruz Warriors
- Valentine, Gafford Lead Bulls over Herd, 129-111 - Windy City Bulls
- Austin Spurs Fall to Rio Grande Valley Vipers on Opening Night - Austin Spurs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.